Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Questions from a rookie

P

PSU ZR-1

I'd like to say hi to everyone. I am new to the forum. Just a bit about me. My name is Brian. I am a 21 year old senior at Penn State majoring in mechanical engineering.

I'm going to be buying a ZR-1 either very soon or next spring. I'm looking at a 94 or 95 that is either yellow, red or black.

I have some questions that maybe you people could answer for me.

How much horse power (rwhp) can I expect out of a zr-1 with the following mods, Corsa exhaust, Doug Rippie chip, other than that bone stock. What other mods yield increases in hp at a good price? If anyone with a similar car could give me some numbers or calculations that would be great.

Another question is in regards to the Z06. How come 0-60 for it is 4 sec or less and the zr-1 is around 5 sec? They seem to have very similar hp outputs and these numbers were from cars with very similar gearing.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

the reason the Z06 goes quicker 0-60 is the gearing and weight.

Im not really sure of the RWHP but im guessing around 400 +/- . The ZR-1 is an unbelivable car. You will not be disapointed with it.

The ZR-1 is an awesome machine. Headers and full exhaust make a huge difference in performance. I'm looking into 4.10 gears right now for mine. Unfortunately, nothing is really at a good price.......

Jay

Clint Hooper's car is for sale. At 25 grand it's a deal waiting to happen.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Clint's car is one awesome machine. For some reason I am set on a later model that is relatively stock though.

Do headers and exhaust really make a big difference on the later models? I know GM made big changes to them in '93. Could someone explain to me exactly what aftermarket chips do to improve performance. How much do they run too?

By the way, if you know of a 94 or 95 that has low miles and is in excellent condition in the northeast please let me know. Will zr-1 prices keep dropping? Also, do you guys thing people are asking a bit much for there 95's? Thanks again.

Brian

prices are on the way back up. if you looking to buy do it now. I prefer a nice stock 90 ZR-1. Or a certain black DRM 550 Black Widdow. There are a few modded ZR's that id love to have.

edit: the reason that the 95's are going so high is the fact that only 448 were produced. They will always (in my opp) bring more then the other years. The 90's I think will be up there to.

ZR1 Prices are down!

Hi To all,

Just received the wholesale specialty pricing sheet for July and the ZR1 wholesale values have drop a huge amount.

They are not alone as the Callaway cars join them on this ride into the basement.

My daily activities with dealers nationally reveals that we have not reached what is commonly called the "bottom of the barrel". They estimate that trade ins and re-sales will continue to drop well into the fall months.

It is great time to buy but not to sell!

I have buyers for both Callaways and ZR1 models. These collectors know the market and what they should pay to get what they want. So far they have had no trouble getting what they desire at right around wholesale prices.

Its time to hold on to these vehicles until the market goes back on the up swing.

Stan

I have a very clean 95 ZR1, AL Dunns Heads (1 of 130) with headers, random bullet cats, flowmaster exh. (you will love the sound). car is torch red, black interior, 57 K well cared for garage kept miles. soft market or not, I want $36K firm. this car dynoed at 361 HP at the wheels before the headers and custom chip. I will dyno again and expect to see around 380 HP at the wheels.

this is a no disappointments car that runs great!!! Yes a Z06 stock vs a stock ZR1, the Z06 has the edge because of lighter weight, better gearing. but the ZR1 is a much more exclusive car, better looking IMHO, and a fantastic car on the top end.

I love em both but give the nod to the ZR1. I have 3 of them.

I also have a DRM 450 90 ZR1, black, red interior, 75K miles, lowered, roll bar, tricked suspension, kurt white shifter, chrome 5 spoke wheels, comp ta tires. need $23K for this one.

yes the ZR1 market is soft, but you can buy alot of car for the $$$ right now. shop around, there are bargains to be had. I just bought an LPE 368 ZR1 with 20K miles for $40K. nice overall condition, and the LPE mods were 22K alone.

good luck, contact me if interested. ron_kreigh@hotmail.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom