Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 style wheels found for 86

86targa

If any of you own an 86, you know how hard it is to find wheels that fit. I could find none that work without using adapters, which I will not use under any circumstances. By chance I found a manufacturer in Atlanta that makes them for all corvettes in the correct offsets. They are the spoke 'star' available in chrome, silver clearcoat and black clearcoat. Have the correct center logo and use oem or chrome lugs. They also can be rotated front to rear which 86s cannot because of different offsets. I got a set with new Khumo 275/17 mounted and delivered it 2 days for $1500. They look awsome on the car, fit perfectly. I do suggest you have them rebalanced before putting them on, theirs was not acceptable. They run true and smooth. Id post a pic but my cam makes the file to large for forum. If you want a pic email me.

http://www.voodooperformance.com

Wait a sec - 86's have different offsets front to rear? My stock wheels look the same size and offset - how can you tell what's really front and what's really rear?
[RICHR]

Mine are the same front and rear on my 85 (Hell I rotate them) But mine are the aftermarket Prime wheels. The offset I think is 54mm for ours, alot of wheels are like 56 58 which I think would work as well its only a 2-4mm difference nothings going to bind given those distances.

Now if you use a 32mm Offset you might have a problem. Talking about 22mm offset (about 1 1/8 of a inch) difference.

I wouldn't expect things to bind, but rub. Isn't offset how far the hub of the wheel is spaced inward from the inside edge (or centerline)? If you have a car that needs a large offset, and you put a small-offset wheel on it, the tire would rub on the suspension or hit the inside of the fender when you turned sharply. Conversely, if you used a wheel with too large an offset, you'd be putting too much stress on the wheel bearing because the weight is distributed differently. On a FWD car, you can cause some serious torque steer as well.

Of course, I may have the large/small backwards....
[RICHR]

86 Targa thanks for the post, was looking for some Grand Sport wheels for my 91 ZR-1 but they are the wrong off set. Voodo has the correct off set. Yes I know the Grand Sport wheels will bolt up but I would just as soon keep the ZR-1 off set. Best of all their 600 smackers cheaper than the GM Grand Sport wheels. Hell on a Z thats a water pump or a starter. Thanks again 91 ZR-1 #2039

rrubel, if your wheels havent been changed, you can see the subtle difference. measure from the wheel face down to the lug nuts. Youll find the rear is deeper by nearly 1/2 inch. If you mount the fronts on the rear they will set that differnce farther back into the opening, and the rears will stick out that much farther. May be slight, but would affect your handleing. Only applies to 86 with 9.5 rims.

I think the ZR1 wheels are awesome looking. I really like the 5 spoke look, especially the black colored ones ala Grand Sport.

Will you paint the brake calipers as well? I think that adds a really nice touch and can be eye catching.

I painted my calipers and hubs, rotor hats metallic gold. With the silver clearcoat wheels and the Medium Caymen Green it looks fantastic. Ive already had someone offer to buy the car :O

It's just something about painted calipers that attracts the eyes. I think that I'll do that someday down the line when I get my LT4.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom