Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Top Speed

B

Blackened

I was told that the ZR-1 has a higher top speed then the Zo6. What is the ZR-1's top speed? Also if anyone knows what is the top speed of the LT4 or Grand Sport?

ZR-1's will run over 180 with no problems. With a few small mods you will easily see 200.

More importantly, the LT5 will perform there with 100% relaibility.

Most stock or near-stock ZR1s will run 180 mph. It takes about five miles. The Z06 is rpm limited to about 172.

As for the comment on ZR-1s running over 200 with "a few small mods"...the person who made it must have been smoking crack.

Reality is that it takes a significant amount of extra horsepower, some changes in gearing, race tires and some attention to aerodynamics as they affect safety and handling to be able to top 200 mph with a ZR-1.

Hib,
Thanks for the "smoking crack" comment. I appreatie it. Really I do.

I would have to agree with HIB,Theres NO WAY IN HE--,ASLIGHTLY MODIFYED (SP) ZR1 will run 200MPH. It would take aprox.650-675H.P. and some areo-work for that to happen!!!! and in MY opinion thats not SLIGHT!!!!!!!! Just my .02 worth!!!!!:w

drags1998 said:
I would have to agree with HIB,Theres NO WAY IN HE--,ASLIGHTLY MODIFYED (SP) ZR1 will run 200MPH. It would take aprox.650-675H.P. and some areo-work for that to happen!!!! and in MY opinion thats not SLIGHT!!!!!!!! Just my .02 worth!!!!!:w
Drags1998.......
I have to agree, also. It takes an awful lot of work to increase top speed over 170 mph, much less over 180 mph.
Take a look at the link below for some good reading.

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/aero/tech_aero.htm

the following courtesy of Autozine.com

Aerodynamic efficiency of a car is determined by its Coefficient of Drag (Cd). Coefficient of drag is independent of area, it simply reflects the influence to aerodynamic drag by the shape of object. In theory, a circular flat plate has Cd 1.0, but after adding the turbulence effect around its edge, it becomes approximately 1.2. The most aerodynamic efficient shape is water drop, whose Cd is 0.05. However, we cannot make a car like this. A typical modern car is around 0.30.
Drag is proportional to the drag coefficient, frontal area and the square of vehicle speed. You can see a car travelling at 120 mph has to fight with 4 times the drag of a car travelling at 60 mph. You can also see the influence of drag to top speed. If we need to raise the top speed of Ferrari Testarossa from 180 mph to 200 mph like Lamborghini Diablo, without altering its shape, we need to raise its power from 390 hp to 535 hp. If we would rather spend time and money in wind tunnel research, decreasing its Cd from 0.36 to 0.29 can do the same thing.

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
Hib,
Thanks for the "smoking crack" comment. I appreciate it. Really I do.

Take Hibs word as gospel.... especially on the Fluidyne being a drop in :eyerole

Didn't take much for Curtis to make it to 200.

drags1998 said:
you sir are smoking crack. If you are talking flywheel hp then I may agree with you. If you're talking rwhp then you have drasticly overshot the hp requirements.

Whether or not the 200 MPH claim is wrong or right, the "smoking crack" comment was uncalled for. Unnecessary negativity that just creates flame wars and animosity. All one has to say is "I think you are wrong" or "I disagree, and here is why..."

Not very professional from someone who represents the CAC as the "official technical writer" and has written articles for 'vette magazines.

I seem to recall a top speed tuner shootout where the late John L. managed close to 220mph in a 415(approx 650hp) ZR-1. Based on this and the capabilities of a stocker I'd guess it would take around 550hp to hit the 200 mark.

Jeffvette said:
Take Hibs word as gospel.... especially on the Fluidyne being a drop in :eyerole

Didn't take much for Curtis to make it to 200.

What kind of HP #'s did Curtis have?

Is there any ways of easily lowering the Drag coefficient of the ZR1 ? We have an event coming up that is a 1.25 mile test....

Sharpkings said:
Is there any ways of easily lowering the Drag coefficient of the ZR1 ? We have an event coming up that is a 1.25 mile test....
Instal coil overs and lower the front end of the car, and remove the side view mirrors.

ZR1Pete said:
What kind of HP #'s did Curtis have?
I believe it was just under 400 rwhp. His speed was recorded by either radar or gps if I'm not mistaken. This was done, at one of those high speed events here in Texas similar to the Silver State Classic.

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
Instal coil overs and lower the front end of the car, and remove the side view mirrors.
Sounds good to me, I had wondered about the coilovers and lowering it to the ground.
I read somewhere that the aerobody kit on the callaways aided top speed quite a lot - do you know why this was ? The only thing that I could see was really different was the nose with regards this ??

Kevin,I guess now I would have to ask 1.where you got your training in etiquette. 2.your vast knowledge on H.P. & AERODYNAMICS. You seem to be quite intellegent, have most of the answers, and you have a ZR-1 .So why dont YOU find out just how much ENGINE H.P. it takes to go 200MPH and keep us allposted on the cost and #s Have a GREAT NITE!!!!! and STAY AWAY FROM HIBS CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;LOL

Blackened said:
I was told that the ZR-1 has a higher top speed then the Zo6. What is the ZR-1's top speed? Also if anyone knows what is the top speed of the LT4 or Grand Sport?

To cover the top speed of an LT4 in the original post... I came across a review in my January 1996 issue of Car and Driver. C&D got a ‘96 Grand Sport to run 168 mph. I’m sure some run slower and others faster, but at least this give us a ball park.

B17Crew
:w

drags1998 said:
Kevin,I guess now I would have to ask 1.where you got your training in etiquette. 2.your vast knowledge on H.P. & AERODYNAMICS. You seem to be quite intellegent, have most of the answers, and you have a ZR-1 .So why dont YOU find out just how much ENGINE H.P. it takes to go 200MPH and keep us allposted on the cost and #s Have a GREAT NITE!!!!! and STAY AWAY FROM HIBS CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;LOL
I talk about what I have seen and experienced. I know for a fact of a stock geared and lightly modded ZR-1 that has hit 200 mph varified on Radar by the Texas State Cops just prior it's untimly demise. That being said, Im done with this thread before it turns into a flame bait anymore.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom