Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 vs Mother Nature

• Thread starter Thread starter YESZREE
  • Start date Start date
Y

YESZREE

Death of a King(rightfully renamed)

This is a sad story.:cry

I had to go to see a client of mine last Saturday morning in Ft. Lauderdale,Fl. I hadn't driven the Beast in a while, so the weather looked good and I said let's go!

I was driving for about an hour when the "sys" indicator started on the dash. At the same time, I couldn't power up. So I pull into the Advanced auto parts store and got a new Optima battery and replaced the fuse to the power up sequence.

All is normal now and we are running great. As I appproached the Florida Turnpike (this is a toll road that connects Orlando to Miami) the weather turns nasty...fast. I'm on the toll road for about 10 minuites and from nowhere I heard a thump under the car.

I couldn't tell what it was, but instantly I started spinning around. There was no other traffic, thank goodness. It was also raining very bad. Visibility was very poor. Instantly I lose control and begin performing about three, 360 degree turns and go into the soft shoulder on the passenger side. At this time I have no point of reference, only disoriented from the spinning.

Before I know it, the car completely rolls over and returns onto it's wheels. But now, facing in the opposite direction as when the roll started. It must have looked like a "Ballerina" spinning around as it turned over. The area that it stopped was inches from the wooded area on the side of the road.

There is now no glass left except pieces of the windshield, and the roof panel has popped off. When the car was rolling the roof came off before the roll was complete so I got pummeled into the mud as I was strapped in the seat. There was mud packed around my shoulders and in my face. Through all of this I walked away with bruses and a cut across the bridge of my nose from my sunglasses.

As I climbed out of the top of the car (the doors were jammed) some passers by stopped and helped me. They were great. Here I am bleeding and full of mud and they were kind enough to let me sit in their new Lexus SUV. We called the State Police and about 5 min's the ambulance was there and the Police showed up about 15 min's later.

I declined to go to the hospital as I was fully aware and very very lucky. Although I am a christian and am full prepared to leave this life, facing that possibility is surreal.

And to top it off the Doggone' Troupper gave me a ticket!!!! Failure to control my vehicle! Go figure.

It seems that the Beast has been reduced to parts. The engine and drive train is intact but the body is shot. The insurance company says it's a total loss.

Looks like there is going to be a LT5 on the market soon. I don't thing I am going to get involved in the salvage, it's too heartbreaking for me. It's bad enough I am looking at my"YESZREE" license plate here in the den.

I still do not know what happened since originally I thought that it was hydro-planeing due to the water on the road. All four tires are flat, with the drivers front completely off of the rim. So it could have been a blowout? Due to the instantanious nature of the incident I am tending to lean to the blowout theory.

Glad to be alive!!

Stay safe and help me find another beast! This time one that's already built, like a 368 or a 415 cu.in. motor.

Later...I'll be Back (as Arnould would say)

P.S. The Trouper tells me that if I would have gone into the woods (a few more feet) the water moccasins are breeding and they would have attacked me as they are very aggressive and if I would have layed there any length of time, the gators would have had their way with me.

Dangerous place this Florida!

Sorry to hear that. :( And am glad that you were able to walk away. I'm sure you'll find a Z in no time.

And isn't it just like a Trooper to give you a ticket? Honestly, WTH kind of ticket is failure to maintain control? Sounds like a way to collect a little more revenue to me.

Leon

Sorry to hear that man. Glad your ok though !
Yeap these cars have wide wheels and tires, and they will hydroplane when ever the water on the pavement is more than what the tires can move/pass through in order to keep contact with the pavement.

thats truly bizzarre! well maybe you would consider something different for a change....say a c2 or c3 big block. no strange warning lights/computers to worry about there. and as far as the trooper...dont feel too bad, they give tickets to other police agencies as well...i dont know what their problem is
glad to hear your ok, and all is well. maybe a higher power was telling you its time for a new project
mike

the car can always be replaced. Surely the grace of God was upon you. Glad to hear you're ok...

Glad to hear you walked away in good shape. That is the important thing.

That is a surreal story, and makes me pause.

The death of a King.

Do you think you will ever figure out what happened?

And don't get me started with cops and tickets. I think they are just way to power hungry these days, and too quick to assign them. I know there are good cops out there, but I just havn't seen many of them.

Brett

Jeez Ed! Man, sorry to hear about your loss. At least your OK. I only got caught once in a violent rain storm down here. Luckily, the car handled quite well. I made sure my Power Key was off also. Good luckin your search. I might know of a real nice Z for sale right here in Tampa! But it's not a built motor.......if you'd like details, drop me an email :)

Jay

JT ZR-Won said:
Jeez Ed! Man, sorry to hear about your loss. At least your OK. I only got caught once in a violent rain storm down here. Luckily, the car handled quite well. I made sure my Power Key was off also. Good luckin your search. I might know of a real nice Z for sale right here in Tampa! But it's not a built motor.......if you'd like details, drop me an email :)

Jay

I'm interested in all possibilities, Thanks Ed

Damn! I am so sorry Ed. :(

At least you're ok. I can't believe you got a ticket. That seems really unfair to me - especially if they have no proof that you were driving recklessly. Jesus, what happens if you hit a patch of black ice somewhere and spin out of control!? Are you at fault for that deserving a ticket???

sad story,
good to be alive.is there any cameras on the toll road?maybe your insurance company can summons the tape to see what happend.later,Todd.

Ed,

Sorry to hear of your loss, though your loss is replaceable and your life is not! You'll be back in the saddle again soon..

Ed,

Considering the sequence of events it's amazing and fortunate that you were realtively unscathed. So sorry about the car but glad to know you're okay.

Re: Death of a King

YESZREE said:
This is a sad story.:cry

I had to go to see a client of mine last Saturday morning in Ft. Lauderdale,Fl. I hadn't driven the Beast in a while, so the weather looked good and I said let's go!

I was driving for about an hour when the "sys" indicator started on the dash. At the same time, I couldn't power up. So I pull into the Advanced auto parts store and got a new Optima battery and replaced the fuse to the power up sequence.

All is normal now and we are running great. As I appproached the Florida Turnpike (this is a toll road that connects Orlando to Miami) the weather turns nasty...fast. I'm on the toll road for about 10 minuites and from nowhere I heard a thump under the car.

I couldn't tell what it was, but instantly I started spinning around. There was no other traffic, thank goodness. It was also raining very bad. Visibility was very poor. Instantly I lose control and begin performing about three, 360 degree turns and go into the soft shoulder on the passenger side. At this time I have no point of reference, only disoriented from the spinning.

Before I know it, the car completely rolls over and returns onto it's wheels. But now, facing in the opposite direction as when the roll started. It must have looked like a "Ballerina" spinning around as it turned over. The area that it stopped was inches from the wooded area on the side of the road.

There is now no glass left except pieces of the windshield, and the roof panel has popped off. When the car was rolling the roof came off before the roll was complete so I got pummeled into the mud as I was strapped in the seat. There was mud packed around my shoulders and in my face. Through all of this I walked away with bruses and a cut across the bridge of my nose from my sunglasses.

As I climbed out of the top of the car (the doors were jammed) some passers by stopped and helped me. They were great. Here I am bleeding and full of mud and they were kind enough to let me sit in their new Lexus SUV. We called the State Police and about 5 min's the ambulance was there and the Police showed up about 15 min's later.

I declined to go to the hospital as I was fully aware and very very lucky. Although I am a christian and am full prepared to leave this life, facing that possibility is surreal.

And to top it off the Doggone' Troupper gave me a ticket!!!! Failure to control my vehicle! Go figure.

It seems that the Beast has been reduced to parts. The engine and drive train is intact but the body is shot. The insurance company says it's a total loss.

Looks like there is going to be a LT5 on the market soon. I don't thing I am going to get involved in the salvage, it's too heartbreaking for me. It's bad enough I am looking at my"YESZREE" license plate here in the den.

I still do not know what happened since originally I thought that it was hydro-planeing due to the water on the road. All four tires are flat, with the drivers front completely off of the rim. So it could have been a blowout? Due to the instantanious nature of the incident I am tending to lean to the blowout theory.

Glad to be alive!!

Stay safe and help me find another beast! This time one that's already built, like a 368 or a 415 cu.in. motor.

Later...I'll be Back (as Arnould would say)

P.S. The Trouper tells me that if I would have gone into the woods (a few more feet) the water moccasins are breeding and they would have attacked me as they are very aggressive and if I would have layed there any length of time, the gators would have had their way with me.

Dangerous place this Florida!

Brett said:
Glad to hear you walked away in good shape. That is the important thing.

That is a surreal story, and makes me pause.

The death of a King.

Brett

I don't know if I will ever determine the cause but I ask myself "what would cause such a instantaneous event"

I entered your statement "The death of a king" into the header of my story. Hope you don't mind, it was so appropriate for the occasion. Thanks to you and to all of the forum members for their concern for myself and the car.

I have had many Corvettes through my life but this one hurts to lose. There were times when I would just go into the garage and look at her and think finally I've got a ZR-1!

My wife is as upset about losing this car. I am a very luck fellow to have such a great wife that loves me as well as all of my toys. Sometimes I would go to the garage to take her out and she would beat me to it. What's with that? I mean she's got her own car!:cool

The only thing that I can think of is that either a tire blew out which would have caused the thumping sound and sudden loss of control, or there was something in the road - a rock or something that got caught under the car and lifted it just enough, suddenly to put the car into a slide??

Yeszree, Glad your O.K. and sorry to here about your car. Just wondering, what kind of tires you were running .

No problem, Ed. I'm glad to contribute. That's what this place is all about.:)

Wasn't it you that was recently talking about how your Z dyno'd at 411 rwhp with only a few bolt-ons? So sad to see such a monster ZR-1 retire. That is one bad-azz LT5. Is it in ok shape? Maybe you should be the first to attempt a ZO6 body, LT5 hybrid!:Steer

Brett

Sorry Ed, that really sucks. Any landing you can walk away from is a good one though.

I was driving late one night and got caught in a rain storm. I was running drag radials and going about 25 mph I went totally sideways without any warning at all. I fishtailed a few times before I got in under control. Then going 10 mph at the approaching light it did it again! I parked the car under the overpass until the water drained from the road and I could get home safe. Definitely not a wet weather car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom