Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Zr-1

cscarlson

Corvette
2003 50Th Corvette
I no longer have the ZR-1 in my posession. It was stolen yesterday at the mall and amazingly no one saw anything. All i can do now is hope it is found and in one piece

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully it will be recovered intact. If not, maybe your next Vette will be even better!

Man that SHTINK'S big time. I hope that they find your car.

They stole a ZR-1? Damn. Id like to know how. Short of a flat bed I didn't know there was a way. Im sorry to hear aobut your loss. you seem to be taking it well. Id be ****ed off. Id probalby be crying.

When I first bought mine the previous onwer didn't drive it much and when he did he only used one set of keys. The dealership (Sun Chevy) keyring. So I used the brass ZR-1 key ring. I got in hit the key and nothing. The resistance in the key changed. Anywho. Sorry to hear about your car. I hope the find the moron who did it and punish them.

Sorry about the loss. Hopefully it will be recovered. I wrecked my 91 ZR-1 back in 1996 and did not get another one until 2000 June(94 ZR-1 black/black). In a way this was even sweeter then when I picked up a brand new 91 at the dealership because I missed this car so much.
Good luck!

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like a flat bed operation. Good luck finding it.

--John

I'm kind of curious.....what did the police say? Any leads? What was the VIN so that we can all keep an eye out?

Man, that stinks!

You just got it, I sure hope you had insurance on it! :(

Barb :w

How come ya'll seem to think i ain't upset... i cried and am so p************ off. the cops say there was not much they could do but look for it. surprise surprise.. go to the donut shop... the insurance told me to wait and see if it is recovered. i asked how long and the said to give it a couple of months meanwhile i will make payments on a car i don't have. i now am afraid to take my 80 corvette anywhere because of this . I contacted the previous owner to see if by chance someone might have an extra set of keys and was told no.

Theft claims are a pain. I hope you took some good photos of the car to share with them in the event it does not ever show up.

Eventhough this car may have been in perfect condition, the insurance company hears that a thousand times a day on cars that they know are otherwise rags. Based on the year model, some newbie claim rep may not even know what it is and expect a 12 year old car to look pretty rough.

Plus, if you tell them what you paid for it (which you may have to under oath-sworn statement), they will never believe it was in perfect shape.

Having just bought it, I doubt you already have the title back in your name, which means even if it is found totalled out within 24 hours, they can't settle until you can produce a title in your name.

Sounds like your are in for some headaches.

BTW, I am with Rob. Post the Vin. We can keep a look out. Since many of the parts on the car have the VIN on them, or some variation of the vin, we can keep an eye out for parts that might be hitting the market. Maybe catch the chop shop red handed.

Some pictures would be great to.

What do pictures have to do with a vehicle identification number? Don't you have the VIN on a registration or insurance document?

Oh Carlson!

I'm so sorry! This is just horrible.

Working at the Sheriff's Office, I see that for many cases, they can not go out and search everywhere (missing persons, stolen property -with the exception of checking pawn shops- without warrants that require some degree of proof or substantial evidence) and most times they just have to wait for things to "fall into their lap".

Your best hope is that law enforcement will see the perps operating your vehicle in a manner that initiates a call to dispatch, where the vehicle description, tag, or if the vehicle is pulled over - the vin, will be run and come back stolen.
*Even if the perps change the tag plate, if it is run and doesn't come back to a vehicle matching that vehicle's description, it will be investigated.

It is very important that law enfocement have the vin. Without it, your ZR-1 can't be entered onto NCIC (National Criminal Information Center) which is accessed by ALL 50 states.

I had a friend whose truck was stolen, and it was found several months later because some lady got tired of it being parked for months in front of her house. The perps had run out of gas and left it there. It was towed as abandoned, and when the vin was entered into NCIC a 'hit' was made for stolen vehicle. One broken window, one broken steering column and approx. 40 additional miles on the odometer. I wonder where it would have been with a full tank of gas!?

Take heart that with my friend's truck, it was pretty non-descript and easy to overlook, especially parked in a normal manner. With a Corvette, they stand out more, and the officers and deputies will probably remember it more than a truck, and be more reactive to other vehicles similar to it.
Give law enforcement a chance, they do want to help you be reunited with your stolen property.

Carlson, I hope you get your vette back. I think you have a good chance. A vette stands out and if it's being driven, it will eventually be located.
Heidi

pictures

Rob, the pics have nothing to do with the vin, but to show the insurance company that the 12 year old vette did not look the same as any other similarly aged vehicle.
Heidi

Sorry for your loss CS. Every piece of paperwork you got with the car has to have the VIN number on it. If you would e-mail it me I have some venues to get it widely circulated so anyone that buys cars or parts can be on the lookout. Ask your neighbor that you bought it from if they have any pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words. The pic might remind someone to check the VIN on a ZR1 that might show up for sale..

Tom

There was anothe page to this thread that i just read. I "CANNOT" believe some of my"FRIENDS" here at the CACC made accuzations attacking my character, i thought you were my "friends". I don't have to explain anything or try to defend myself. my " FRIENDS " are unconditional and it works both ways, not only am i hurt by this but shocked.

Ok...I'm done with this.

Through this whole ordeal, I've repeatedly asked for a VIN as have others and you haven't provided it. Fine....that is your choice.

People asked for pictures of it, which you didn't post. Fine, that is your choice.

Here is where I run into difficulty with this whole thing:

If I bought another Corvette tomorrow, or had been working on a deal in possibly buying another Corvette, i'd be talking about it here. I'd have pictures of it and would probably be posting them here. I'd have a lot of documentation on it (including the VIN) prior to purchase.

When I bought my own Corvette, site unseen from Buds Chevrolet in Ohio (I was living in NH at the time), I had photos, and I had almost FULL documentation on the car prior to even purchasing it. When I finally decided to buy it, I signed on the dotted line and was in my insurance company office signing their paperwork for full coverage along with sending in the paperwork to the state for a title.

All this prior to the car ever stepping a tire off the dealer lot in Ohio.

Now, a little over a week ago....two weeks ago, you happen to mention that you purchased your next door neighbor's ZR-1. You mentioned in a post as "a matter of fact" way. There was no official announcement to your "FRIENDS" or anything....you just slipped it in in passing.

My thinking was...."ok....fine....that's odd, but whatever...."

Then, one week after, you post that it gets stolen at a mall and you're so upset by this you're thinking about selling your '80. "WHAT!?"

If you catch a cold, should you keep yourself locked up in your house away from others out of fear for catching another cold?? That doesn't make logical sense.

So now, a few days later or whatever, the car is found, in rough shape and not even 72 hours after the fact, the whole insurance deal is signed, sealed and delivered and the car is already crushed at a junkyard!?

I'm sorry, but I find the whole thing way too big to swallow.

I was in a major car accident in an '85 Z28 7 years ago. The car was totaled, only because the frame was damaged and it wasn't worth a lot of money. The rear bumper was trashed, but the rest of the car looked fine. THREE WEEKS after the accident, I ended up selling the car to the junkyard.....after the insurance adjusters were finished with it....after investigation into the cause of the accident was finished....after final appraisal was finished.

Here, a ZR-1 is stolen and found shortly afterwards and all of a sudden, the insurance company deal is finished, and the car is whisked away to an untimely death?

You owned the car for a week or so and had an opportunity to drive it....little mention was made of your driving reactions to it....how it compared to your '80 etc.

When I bought my Corvette I made several long posts over VetteNet and ZR-1 Net comparing it to other Corvettes I had driven.....we didn't see any of that here. Again, the whole thing just sort of slipped into a passing post so to speak.

So....this is why, I have serious concerns about this whole story.

It may or may not have happened, but let me make myself perfectly clear here: a lot of your "FRIENDS" expressed a lot of sympathy for what happened here. I just hope that their expression of sympathy was justified because if it wasn't, that will really, really bother me. You don't owe me an explanation, but as far as I am concerned you DO owe it to your "FRIENDS".

For more clarification, I just reconstructed the following timeline from three different threads:

From CSCarlson:

6-12-02: 9:40 am (posted in the ZR-1 Forum: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12773
my co-worker brought the manuals iin today. i was told that he would sell me the shop manual for $50.00.. well i get the shop manual/hayes corvette manual and corvette assembly manual for the price. i am still having a problem with the passengers door unlocking, it just doesn't unlock. i have replaced the harness and switch. any suggestions ?

6-12-02: 11:55am (in response to my direct question of whether or not you purchased a ZR-1...)
Yes a 1990 blue ZR-1

6-12-02: 12:10pm
i bought it from a friends neighbor that drove it ocassionally. the deal was to me was... i had to have a garage and keep it garaged when not driving it, 2. show him i would take care of it. no problem , i showed him my other vette and we made a deal. blue 1990 ZR-1 corvette, 6 speed, cd player,electric everything.
28,000 miles. 13,500 it is in mint condition. to be honest the power kinda scares me a little and i will have to watch myslf with the speed, wouldn't want a fine police officer to be put out by giving me a speeding ticket.

6-19-02: 2:37 pm -
I no longer have the ZR-1 in my posession. It was stolen yesterday at the mall and amazingly no one saw anything. All i can do now is hope it is found and in one piece

6-19-02: 4:15pm -
How come ya'll seem to think i ain't upset... i cried and am so p************ off. the cops say there was not much they could do but look for it. surprise surprise.. go to the donut shop... the insurance told me to wait and see if it is recovered. i asked how long and the said to give it a couple of months meanwhile i will make payments on a car i don't have. i now am afraid to take my 80 corvette anywhere because of this . I contacted the previous owner to see if by chance someone might have an extra set of keys and was told no.

6-19-02: 4:26pm -
haden't had time to take pictures .

6-21-02: 8:02am -
The police found my zr-1... it was found wednesday morning and i was called to come see it. it was over a cliff in one of the canyons here, it is totaled and not much left, sorry if this message seems blaa.. but i am still really devasted by this.. i appreciate all here that were concerned and tried to help. right now i am contemplating selling my 1980 corvette because of this.

6-21-02: 9:03am -
I spoke to the insurance yesterday and they are unsure about coverage. since i only had it a short time and it was stolen, am awaiting the call with the decision. if they don't cover it i will be paying for a car i don't have and i will have to be an "X-VETTE" owner as to pay for the car.

6-21-02: 10:24am -
My son just called me and said he and his friends wants to rebuld the vette. now what kind of job would this be? the say they can get all the parts but i am skeptical. no word from the insurance as of yet.

6-22-02 - 3:52pm -
ZR-1 has been totally crushed at the crushing yard. this is the only way i would let it go to the grave. the insurance company paid me 11,000 for her and i settled on the agreement i would be there and see her end. it was mine and is gone. i have not driven my '80 corvette since this all happened and maybe never will, who knows, right now i am looking at possibly selling my vette to my son, i appreciate all the concern and friendship.

6-23-02 - 8:59am -
There was anothe page to this thread that i just read. I "CANNOT" believe some of my"FRIENDS" here at the CACC made accuzations attacking my character, i thought you were my "friends". I don't have to explain anything or try to defend myself. my " FRIENDS " are unconditional and it works both ways, not only am i hurt by this but shocked.

Now.....why does all of this seem like it happend so quickly??? What am I missing here?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom