Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 The Most Maligned Model?

I've had C3-C8's and would never be ashamed of owning a C4 .Even though I currently own a 2008 I'm keeping my eyes open for a special C4 .Oh ,I wave at all Corvettes .

WOW!!...I hope that's a typo; if not, I would love to see the C7 & C8 pics!:beer

I figure it this way, People are cutting up these early c4's for the suspensions and what not. Not that I want to see a Vette die but just think, every one that gets chopped up makes yours a little more valuable!! One day these are going to be extremely hard to find and that's ok with me cause I'll still have mine. ;)

This has occurred to me, and might even be more true of the C4 GSs. I've seen so many GSs that were modded/hacked to the max. When I run across one of these, I never know whether I should barf or grin. The only thing that I've changed on mine is the battery...the original lasted until last winter. And, the car still smells new inside... :happyanim:

If you are grading the C4's I think that the one you own with the LT4 is no doubt one of the best except for the ZR-1's.

Bring on the C7.....

Could not agree more...!!!

Yeh, Me Too

Could not agree more...!!!
I have a 91 ZR1 also and I drive it when ever I get the chance. Its a great motocross car, its under 13 seconds down the quarter mile, and handles every bit as well as any C5. Sure its old technology, but I wouldnt swap it for anything less than a new Grandsport or a ZR1, and over here you have to pay $235000, for one of those.:beer:w

Wow! That car doesn't look like it has ever been "moto-crossed"... ;)

A little pressure wash and just like new...Ya just gotta take the jumps a little slower...

I've owned 2 C4's. Drove the 1984 model in 1983 when a friend had the Motor Trend test car for a photo shoot. WOW! I was totally impressed and still am. I had driven in a '67 and fell in love with Vettes then, but drove two friends '68 and later a '77 and was not impressed. Although there isn't a Vette I hate, the later 70's were looks with no go. The C4 was state of the art and world class. Yes, the HP is lower then what we see today or even just a few years after the C4 was first introduced, but it was greater then what it replaced and still is adequate.

At the time I drove the first C4 I was autocrossing a lot and had done well, when I drove the Vette, it far exceeded my abilities. It was a race car with A/C and license plates at the time.

My first was an automatic car (1985), my current is a (1989) 6spd. Great MPG, adequate power and with the Z51 suspension, it is a joy for me to drive.

I hear the negatives from the C5-6 owners, but for the $$$ it is still a great car.

As the later C3's lost value rapidly, so have the C4's, but look at the C3's now. They are climbing as will the C4.

What I read said the '84 started being built on January 3, 1983 and delivery to customers started in March 1983.

So, more like a 1 1/2 year run.

What's six months among friends, anyway?

At any rate, over 50,000 Vette is a lotta Vettes!

C-4

I have had 2 C4's a 1988 yellow coupe, bought in 2007, and now my 96 LT4 coupe that I purchased this year. I loved the 88 but my daughter didnt like it and another person didnt either so I traded it. I regretted it every day. As I got close to retirement this June I started to get the bug for another corvette. Since we had an Equinox for family use it would not be a problem to have the vette again. I began the searh a found my purple 96 LT4 coupe at a dealer 200 miles from home. I basically negotiated the deal online. When we arrived at the dealer the car was sitting there and I knew I made the right decision. I love the c4's I like sitting down in it and even the 88 would go. The clamshell hood is great when you open it up it all motor there I like the other years too but I love my C4.

What I read said the '84 started being built on January 3, 1983 and delivery to customers started in March 1983.

So, more like a 1 1/2 year run.

What's six months among friends, anyway?

At any rate, over 50,000 Vette is a lotta Vettes!

Then I guess I dove the C4 in 82 rather then 83...Either way, they are great cars..

My .02

I had an 84 and was amused with it... but not " HAPPY "... Now in all fairness it was a beater, that I rescued.. and brought back... to trade for the 88...

Which was a vert and painted to look like a GS.... so it had a LOT of WOW factor....I really enjoyed it.. till it started breaking..

It was hard to keep up with it, since the PO couldn't spell " OIL CHANGE "... or " LUBE "... so for a year, the car was eating me out of house N home..
( and I didn't have the $$$ at the time ) .....So I had to make a choice... 88, 73 or 64....

I had to let the 88 go..... ( But I want it back ) .....

Malighned C4

Is it just me or is the C4 the most maligned model series? I love my C4 more everyday the more I look around and the more I see. Of course having an LT4 is a bit of gravy over an early L98 but the guy with the latter likely loves his just as much as me. I found myself rescently "looking" at C5's just out of curiosity as their market is falling out. Most likely due to the impending C7 which I am sure will be a wonderful and monumental testament to the brand that each of us will lust after but few will own. But I digress, not so long ago the C3 was a rusty product of hap hazard mass marketing from the late 70's - 80's that the "poor" rednecks and pimp wanna bee's could afford. Now it has come to command the repect due as it displays a certain panash of 80's extravagance and "over the topness". Try and find an 82 less than 10k, or just try and find an 82 period for sale. (I think 82 was the quintisential model). Wow I just cant stay on track, sorry, it just seems that the C4 gets no respect, they are mearly future trash and foder for kit cars. When I bought my 96 LT4 (like there was another year) it was to keep for a couple of years and "upgrade" to a C5 and so on. I know begin to see the treasure I own as something I may well never part ways with. It has gobs of power, handling like no other car I have driven, sex appeal and what seems to be a burgeoning market. I love all Vettes, really I do. I have been a fan since I was a kid of six when my brother gave me a Hot Wheels red roadster and I ZL1hooked. Wish I still had that one! Bottom line is respect. We cant all afford a 53 roadster, a ZL1, 67 427 or a 2012 ZR1 and so on but respect for each other and model year is to be expected. After all the wave is not exclusive to 97 and up. Any way sorry for the wandering Merlot induced rant, I've just been feeling a bit of the inferiority complex being fed down from the 50k+ club. Just remember, each model has kept the breed alive and has championed improvements and innovation. With out the success of the C4, there is no C7. Just say'in

Cheers, :beer:w

I love my 1989 C4!

I love both my C4's. I realy love that Polo Green LT4 6 Shooter referenced in post # 2.
That one happens to be mine.

Nice Vette

I love both my C4's. I realy love that Polo Green LT4 6 Shooter referenced in post # 2.
That one happens to be mine.

Nice Vette! I'll try to get a put up a photo of mine on here soon. It's a blue one with spoiler and ground effects. I still haven't been able to figure out if this spoiler and stuff was a dealer option, or an aftermarket kit that was installed by the previous owner, but I like it. It gives it a slightly different look from most C4 "Vettes

My '84 isn't the fastest or the best built, but it puts a smile on my face when I drive it or just staring at it in awe. Whenever someone has a negitive remark about it, which is VERY rare, I ask them "Let's see YOUR 'vette"...LOL

Bottom line, the C4's will come into their own right eventually...remember that the C5's and C6's wouldn't be here if not for the C4's, so just enjoy yours :thumb

The 84 seems to be the most picked on Corvette. Some of the things I have been told by other owners which are untrue. The 84s go on fire often because of the crossfire injection. The 82s however dont.Nor do the Camaro and Firebirds of simular design. The 84s Z51 ride is the worst of any Corvette. The C1 and C2 as well as the C3 ride just as hard. The 84 has the worst repair history. That is also not true. The Crossfire is a simple and very reliable set up. Many other Corvettes have a worst reliable repair history then the 84.

location of oil cooler 84 Z51

can any one tell me where the engine oil cooler is located on a 84 Z51 Corvette. I own a FSM and can not find no pictures or information . It was included in the Z51 package which my car has according to orginal invoice and option codes behind the read drivers seat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom