Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Right Rear Wheel Noise

Jon S

Corvette
Car is very quiet driving, then I hear a loud bang (like hitting a pot hole) noise from the back and after the right rear wheel makes a metal to metal scraping sound per revolution and it's developing into a rotational clunk. Next time out, it's quiet for a mile and then "bang." I've traced it to the right rear and have had it off twice. I checked for rear wheel bearing play - none. The brake pads appear very tight (normal?) When jacked up and I wiggle tire left/right I hear a metalic scraping in the brake caliper area, nothing else. Unfortunately, I cant jack up both sides to fully rotate the wheels. All calipers have been replaced with SS sleeved ones about 3 years ago. I'm thinking:

1. Emergency brake springs rusted/broken in hub;
2. Anti rattle shims slipped between pad and rotor;
3. Brake pad separated from plate;
4. Half shaft u joint;
5. Rear wheel bearing

Since the problem is somewhat intermittent, I discounting the u joint and wheel bearing. Thoughts???

Last edited:
I would check the u joints 1st...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not long ago on my '81 I picked up a slight roar at the right rear when started and cold going down the road and after 6 or 7 miles would just stop and run quite. Was the wheel bearing race pitted on mine. Didn't make sense in why didn't make noise all the time unless once warm up oil lubed it better. Anyway best of luck on finding the issue.

Bill -

Safe to drive slowly 10 miles to my mechanic?
You can try...or have it towed..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

As you also drove it home I would say the extra 10 miles wouldn't hurt but I can't say this as I don't know how severe the noise is.

Greetings Peter

Well it turns out an Emergency Brake spring in the rear hub snapped and was causing that horrible noise in the rear. The spring was not rusted and I don't use the Emergency Brake, so go figure. I ordered the SS replacement kit for the Emergency Brake so hopefully this will not happen again.

Well it turns out an Emergency Brake spring in the rear hub snapped and was causing that horrible noise in the rear. The spring was not rusted and I don't use the Emergency Brake, so go figure. I ordered the SS replacement kit for the Emergency Brake so hopefully this will not happen again.
Another entry in the "That's Just Bizarre" book of Corvette repairs... Good to hear you got it sorted out!

Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom