Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Door seal leak

Jessica19699

Corvette
1998 Jet black coupe
Hello cac members I got a question I have a 1992 corvette and I'm having a issue with my driver side door when it rains or I go through a car wash the door leaks I'm assuming right around the crack where the door meets the front battery panel/hood and it leaks water down inside to the floor board and across the speaker that is mounted there, from the inside it looks like the leak is where the door and dash meet together I cant actually see where it comes in at cause they fit so tightly together but this is what I'm assuming based on when I went to a car wash I could feel some water trickling down by that area.is this just a simple door weather stripping replacement or something more than that? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Hello cac members I got a question I have a 1992 corvette and I'm having a issue with my driver side door when it rains or I go through a car wash the door leaks I'm assuming right around the crack where the door meets the front battery panel/hood and it leaks water down inside to the floor board and across the speaker that is mounted there, from the inside it looks like the leak is where the door and dash meet together I cant actually see where it comes in at cause they fit so tightly together but this is what I'm assuming based on when I went to a car wash I could feel some water trickling down by that area.is this just a simple door weather stripping replacement or something more than that? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I had a similar problem on mine when I first got it. What I did from what I can remember is apply a thin foam like black insulation on top of the existing rubber. I used contact cement and it's still there for almost 20 years. It did do that area as you talk about. I would have replaced it but the car wasn't that old at the time and I don't think that would have helped putting back the same thing they had....must of been an issue with this. I do remember the stuff I used was soft and I can't remember where I got it but if you do some searches I think you might be able to locate something. It was about an 1/8" to 3/32" and very soft. I haven't had an issue in that area anymore but then again I seldom drive it in the rain. Just a thought in case a replacement don't work. The weather stripping on the top of the window even though it looks fine will drip in a hard rain on my car, drivers side.

I have the same problem with my 95...only with both doors. Drive in the rain or wash the car, the carpet on the sill is wet as is the area around the front speakers.

You could try adding some more foam like you'd get at a hardware store but the best fix is to replace all the door weatherstrips.

CAC sponsor, Zip Products sells them either as a kit to do the whole car or individually.

Thanks guys for your help I will try what you said, and yeah I priced a whole car weather stripping replacement and I believe it was around 300 dollars for all the seals it may be worth it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other issue before I purchased them:)

Having done my 89 a few years back, a couple of things come to mind. Pay attention to how the old ones were mounted, placement is critical (I actually went so far as to make small tick marks with a fine sharpie as to where the ends were). Be sure you clean all the old adhesive off. Test fit the parts. Don't rush, this is not a fast process. Listen to Hib and get them from a reputable source. Well worth the money to get good ones.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom