Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Polishing mag wheels

barmitch

Corvette
1981 Coupe, Black and Silver
Ok, I have been asked many times how to polish mag wheels. First off, I got this method from polishing motor cycle side plates and forks to a mirror finishes and I have been doing this for years. So go get a buffing wheel for your drill, the rag type that looks like a ball. Next get the four jewelers rouge sticks that have red white grey etc. Start with the coarse one by turning the rag ball in the drill and applying the rouge, then use the ball on the wheel. What you do is just keep changing the grit till you get the mag the way you want it. With this method there is very little hand finishing and it takes a lot of the grunt work out of the polishing. I don't bother painting with clear spray as once polished a wipe over with mothers cleans them up. With a clean rag ball you can polish with mothers also.

Well barmitch, Welcome to CAC. :w Thanks for the tip. You might take some pictures and post them up as a step by step to show us your method and results. It would make a great "How to". :thumb

Warning - do not try this with C5 factory mag wheels.

Welcome to the CAC

I also use a Power Ball to polish wheels. It so easy on a large smooth surface like the '81 wheels. Once I removed the factory clear coat years ago they were easy to polish with just Mothers. The Power Ball has shortened that process by a bunch. If you have a wheel that is more weathered then the multi step process is the way to go.

One tip I would like to add is an extremely easy way to clean off all of the polishing residue after you are done buffing. I use a plastic tub like an old Cool Whip or butter tub and put regular baking flower in in from the kitchen. Take a soft cloth like a cotton diaper or microfiber towel and dip it dry into the flower. Wipe down the wheel. All of that black residue will disappear as the flower picks it up and all you have to do is rinse with cold water and dry to remove any left over flower. You'll be surprised how much brighter the finish is and it only takes a minute to do. Just a quick wipe down.

These were last polished at least two years ago but more likely three.

Tom

IMG_0622[1].jpg

I also use a Power Ball to polish wheels. It so easy on a large smooth surface like the '81 wheels. Once I removed the factory clear coat years ago they were easy to polish with just Mothers. The Power Ball has shortened that process by a bunch. If you have a wheel that is more weathered then the multi step process is the way to go.

One tip I would like to add is an extremely easy way to clean off all of the polishing residue after you are done buffing. I use a plastic tub like an old Cool Whip or butter tub and put regular baking flower in in from the kitchen. Take a soft cloth like a cotton diaper or microfiber towel and dip it dry into the flower. Wipe down the wheel. All of that black residue will disappear as the flower picks it up and all you have to do is rinse with cold water and dry to remove any left over flower. You'll be surprised how much brighter the finish is and it only takes a minute to do. Just a quick wipe down.

These were last polished at least two years ago but more likely three.

Tom

View attachment 21838

Hi Tom,
Is the picture here of the stock wheels on a 1981? Mine has aftermarket wheels and I want to go back to stock. For some reason I thought that rally wheels would be the way to go.
Thanks, Dale

Hi Tom,
Is the picture here of the stock wheels on a 1981? Mine has aftermarket wheels and I want to go back to stock. For some reason I thought that rally wheels would be the way to go.
Thanks, Dale
Those are the factory aluminium mags. I believe replacements are available.

I'll post a picture of mine when I get home later. I have the aluminum rims

Yes those are the original optional alloy wheels. They come with a clear coat that I polished off years ago when they started to look dull. Both the alloy and the steel rally wheels are 15X8 with the same back spacing so it's just a matter of what you like. Both are available repro.

Tom

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with the rally wheels for the time being.
But the subject of wheels, would anyone know the correct tire size. Mine has 245x60x15 that need to be replaced but I don't seen a lot of offerings in that size.

Dale

There isn't a lot of choices in these tire sizes anymore. We just put those Radial T/As on a couple weeks ago. Cooper still makes them in the Cobra series and Mickey Thompson is making a new street radial in these sizes with a period correct type of lettering. They are available from Summit.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom