Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Car doors not unlocking fully on keyless remote unlock

Jessica19699

Corvette
1998 Jet black coupe
Hello CAC friends I have a 92 vette that when I hit the keyless remote to unlock the doors it doesn't fully unlock them it started with the drivers side door and I figured it was due to cold temps or below freezing temps that was making the metal parts expand and not letting it fully unlatch but just recently I went to get in it one day when it was around 65/70 degrees and it did the same thing now the passenger doors does it as well, I have to open the door by the key to fully unlock it, I talked to a mechanic I go to and he said there are some door locking parts(I cant recall specifics) that tend to wear out over time due to age and usage and can be fixed by taking the door apart, has any body else dealt with this issue or heard of it and if so what could it be and how do you fix this and what parts should I look at buying to fix it? Thanks in advanced :)

Hello CAC friends I have a 92 vette that when I hit the keyless remote to unlock the doors it doesn't fully unlock them it started with the drivers side door and I figured it was due to cold temps or below freezing temps that was making the metal parts expand and not letting it fully unlatch but just recently I went to get in it one day when it was around 65/70 degrees and it did the same thing now the passenger doors does it as well, I have to open the door by the key to fully unlock it, I talked to a mechanic I go to and he said there are some door locking parts(I cant recall specifics) that tend to wear out over time due to age and usage and can be fixed by taking the door apart, has any body else dealt with this issue or heard of it and if so what could it be and how do you fix this and what parts should I look at buying to fix it? Thanks in advanced :)

My 89 started doing the same thing on the passenger side. Pulled the panel off, cleaned all the moving parts, lightly lubed them up with a silicone spray and never had another issue with them.

My 89 started doing the same thing on the passenger side. Pulled the panel off, cleaned all the moving parts, lightly lubed them up with a silicone spray and never had another issue with them.

Ok scotts thanks for the head up on that I will certainly try that before I go an purchase any parts, I was doing some readings on here from past forum threads and some had mentioned it could be the Power Door Lock Motor going bad but I will try cleaning and lubing the moving parts like you suggested, thanks again:)

Ok scotts thanks for the head up on that I will certainly try that before I go an purchase any parts, I was doing some readings on here from past forum threads and some had mentioned it could be the Power Door Lock Motor going bad but I will try cleaning and lubing the moving parts like you suggested, thanks again:)

You can check for other issues while it's open, too. Make sure the electrical connectors are well seated and not corroded. How are your inner and outer door to window seals? Mine were pretty shot so I replaced them while the panels were off. If you do replace them, spend the money for a good set.

Scott

You can check for other issues while it's open, too. Make sure the electrical connectors are well seated and not corroded. How are your inner and outer door to window seals? Mine were pretty shot so I replaced them while the panels were off. If you do replace them, spend the money for a good set.

Scott

the window seals don't leak but are kind of of beaten up I do have an issue when it rains I get some water coming in ..some one on here told me that may be from water running the windshield on the kick plate ,I have another thread on here explaining that. I do plan to replace all the seals and weather stripping also, thanks again for your help:)

GM Dealers have remote tester, typically they don't charge to tester them at parts counter. If you go to service dept they may. Not all remotes easily come apart so they can be checked out. Most of the pre-97 did not. Power door lock actuators can start to bind with age. It is not a corvette specific part so they are normally reasonably priced. If it is hard to turn key to lock or unlock you need to find out what is causing it with door trim removed. Myself I would disconnect actuator first and see if effort is reduced. Good Luck

Last edited:
GM Dealers have remote tester, typically they don't charge to tester them at parts counter. If you go to service dept they may. Not all remotes easily come apart so they can be checked out. Most of the pre-97 did not. Power door lock actuators can start to bind with age. It is not a corvette specific part so they are normally reasonably priced. If it is hard to turn key to lock or unlock you need to find out what is causing it with door trim removed. Myself I would disconnect actuator first and see if effort is reduced. Good Luck

thanks Kevo I will check this out :)

Okay, now I'm confused. In reading the issues encountered after the work performed on your steering column, the question comes to mind.... Is your power door lock system factory or was this an aftermarket add-on, too? And, have you encountered any other electrical issues after the battery was disconnected/reconnected? Corvettes are very ground sensitive, is the person performing the work familiar with Vettes and were all the grounds connected correctly?

Last edited:
Okay, now I'm confused. In reading the issues encountered after the work performed on your steering column, the question comes to mind.... Is your power door lock system factory or was this an aftermarket add-on, too? And, have you encountered any other electrical issues after the battery was disconnected/reconnected? Corvettes are very ground sensitive, is the person performing the work familiar with Vettes and were all the grounds connected correctly?

Scotts the power door locks were working off of an aftermarket security system that was installed by the previous owner ,the system worked fine before I had the column repair now it don't the remote don't work at all and I hear a constant clicking noise under the dash and in the front where the siren is mounted you can also hear the alarm going through the motions very very faintly I have no other electrical issues with the car except the alarm(knock on wood), I called the manufacturer of the alarm and they said it sounds like a ground issue to him, the mechanic doesn't have a lot of experience with corvettes he did check all his connections and he told me he cant seem to find out what is wrong.

If you can find out alarm brand and model number try to contact manufacturer, authorized dealer/installer, or google with condition. Tell them whats going on see if they can give advice. Depending on when it was installed it's a "92", alarm may too old for info. Some techs would want to remove it and return car to as built then get the OEM stuff working. Of course OEM parts can be hard to find and sellers proud of what the have.

If you can find out alarm brand and model number try to contact manufacturer, authorized dealer/installer, or google with condition. Tell them whats going on see if they can give advice. Depending on when it was installed it's a "92", alarm may too old for info. Some techs would want to remove it and return car to as built then get the OEM stuff working. Of course OEM parts can be hard to find and sellers proud of what the have.

kevo thanks for the reply I do know the alarm brand and model number and I did call the manufacturer and they told me it sounded like a ground connection issue, like I said the mechanic who did the steering column checked the ground and other wires and didn't find anything wrong, but like the mechanic told me he isn't a alarm system installer either so this cold be a simple fix for someone who knows what they are doing or it can be a major fix with my luck lately I will assume the worse. my car door also locked automatically and I cant even get back in the car now with the key so now I have to find a way to get into it,he unlugged the aftermarket alarm system so im guessing the original OEM system is still active and locked the door as to why my original car key wont open it I don't know the key will turn but it wont unlock both doors if feels like if I try to turn it harder I will break the key off in the door,

Last edited:
OEM Remote Keyless Entry does not have a automatic function in 1992. That came in 93. You definitely want to make additional door key. Unlocking services should be able unlock it. You do need to find out whats binding in doors.

OEM Remote Keyless Entry does not have a automatic function in 1992. That came in 93. You definitely want to make additional door key. Unlocking services should be able unlock it. You do need to find out whats binding in doors.

I never had a issue with using the key before my alarm system went down to open the doors I was using the aftermarket remote to originally open the doors even with my other thread I got on here the doors started to not fully unlock by the remote but I was still able to use the key to get in it, I literally sat in the car after I turned it off and watch both sliding locks latches lock on there own of course at that time I didn't realize the key wouldn't work on the door until after I got out of it and it relocked again on its own, the locks never automatically locked before by themselves when the A/M system was hooked up. This is getting pretty confusing, I have been in touch with an alarm guy to see if he can come out and take a look at it

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom