Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What do guys carry for emergency flat tire issue?

C5 Don

Corvette
'98 C5, Light Carmine red metalic coupe.
Just wondering what people carry in the event of a flat tire. I just picked up a nail in my rt rear and tried to use the Slime sealant/pump combo I bought in case something like this happened. Living in Florida, the kit is stored in the car where it is hot. The Slime kit is only about 1 1/2 years old, but when it pumped into the tire, it was thin, runny liquid that ran out of the nail hole in the tire, never sealing it. I took the tire off the car and was able to get it to a tire shop that flushed the slime out and patched the leak from the inside. So I'm back in business. But wondering what others have on-board when not running run flats any more. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Two things: 1) a GM OEM emergency inflation pump with the sealant canister. 2) a tire plugging kit.
If the nail/screw/whatever is in a position where I can plug it, I do that.
If not, I use the sealant and tire pump to keep the tire inflated, then take the car to a tire shop where it can be repaired or replaced.

Tuna, Thanks for your reply. Sounds like I've done everything you suggest. (except the plug kit, which I plan to pick up) I was disappointed in the Slime product coming out runny and not sealing anything. I attribute that to the heat, but FL sure ain't the only hot state their crap is sold in! I might consider carrying my small floor jack around, although I hate that idea too.

Run flats.... People think I'm crazy, but I like the peace of mind.....

Two things: 1) a GM OEM emergency inflation pump with the sealant canister. 2) a tire plugging kit.
If the nail/screw/whatever is in a position where I can plug it, I do that.
If not, I use the sealant and tire pump to keep the tire inflated, then take the car to a tire shop where it can be repaired or replaced.
Same here Tuna, Plus my AAA card and a Big Shiny 8 in barrel .357 Magnum cordless drill!~!! LoL!

Run flats.... People think I'm crazy, but I like the peace of mind.....

Guess I'm crazy also. My Vette and the wife's ATS have them, plus everything I said above.

Thanks everyone! Looks like I pretty much had it covered, but I did pick up a plug kit yesterday. Now, do I start carrying around one of my floor jacks? Hmmmmm...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom