Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adjusting rear ride height

stevolwevol

Corvette
1977 light blue
My 79 rides just about 1/2 to 3/4" lower on the passenger side rear. Is it a good idea to raise the spring by turning the nut on the bolt that holds the spring? They are set exactly the same on each side which is almost to the end. If I did this, the passenger side would be turned in more than the driver's side. Is this a good way to even the rear out? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Your spring could be getting weak. You could try that and see if it levels out. Assuming you have looked for signs of a cracked or broken leaf on that side. How do the rubber cushions look? Squished about the same?

Tom

Your spring could be getting weak. You could try that and see if it levels out. Assuming you have looked for signs of a cracked or broken leaf on that side. How do the rubber cushions look? Squished about the same?

Tom
I looked it over the best I can, and didn't see anything obvious. The car rides nice, handles great, and doesn't squeak. I'm sure it would be a good idea to replace the spring (7 leaf), but that's a next spring thing.

The nuts are almost at the end of the bolts on the 79. I would like to adjust it, but I want things even without being uneven if you know what I mean. It looks like they can be turned in an inch or two.

I forgot about this post, but I did replace the rear mono spring with a 7 leaf. Ride height is back to where is should be now. and it rides much better. The after market spring was way too bouncy. So much so, i believe it prematurely wore the shocks out. I replaced them with KYB's.

Thanks for letting us know......

How do you like your KYB shocks? I replaced the originals on the '81 with the new Delco gas pressurized shocks and love them. It rides and handles better than it ever did. I don't understand the light jounce/heavy rebound valving of the originals. They just ride harsh and really don't do any better job of controlling the suspension.

Hello Tom, The KYB's seem to be adaquate, but I was hoping for a stiffer shock. I might try the Delco's , the one's you put on, or something similar to them. Maybe the Bistein's? Can you tell me anything about them?

I apologize for not responding to this sooner, I live in Michigan, and my cars are sleeping together in a barn. For some reason my notifications got sent to spam again also, so please excuse me for my negligence.

I can't speak to the Bilsteins on a C3, but I've had them on my C4, C5 and C^ and really like them. Firm ride, good control. On my C5 (base suspension) I originally installed Z06 shocks, they were OK, but rode pretty rough. Then swapped to the Bilsteins and the roughness went away, but the control stayed. Just my .02

I can't speak to the Bilsteins on a C3, but I've had them on my C4, C5 and C^ and really like them. Firm ride, good control. On my C5 (base suspension) I originally installed Z06 shocks, they were OK, but rode pretty rough. Then swapped to the Bilsteins and the roughness went away, but the control stayed. Just my .02
The KYB's seem to rebound a bit too high. If I'm on the highway and go over a "dip" it just seems to rebound too much, as if the shocks are weak. Hard to explain, but that's what I feel. The 7 leaf is brand new, and they are supposed to be stiffer than the 9 leaf. I installed the KYB's last spring, then got rid of the mono spring and replaced it with the 7 leaf a couple of months later.

The 7 leaf should be stiffer than the 9 leaf. I made that swap once on a '65 and could tell quite the difference. The Delco shocks seem to have about equal jounce and rebound. I like them a lot more than the stock which have very little jounce and very stiff rebound. I think the rebound is about right and overall give a better ride and control without the sharp bang of the originals when you hit a bump. I don't have any experience with Bilsteins.

The 7 leaf should be stiffer than the 9 leaf. I made that swap once on a '65 and could tell quite the difference. The Delco shocks seem to have about equal jounce and rebound. I like them a lot more than the stock which have very little jounce and very stiff rebound. I think the rebound is about right and overall give a better ride and control without the sharp bang of the originals when you hit a bump. I don't have any experience with Bilsteins.
Going by what you are describing, the KYB in my opinion the rebound is too soft, to much. It's not so bad that I need to replace them, but for instance, when on the Highway if I go over a dip the back comes up too much coming out of it. My 79 acts different, and it has original 7 leaf.

I'd say the Delcos feel good over a rebound situation. They don't feel like they bounce up too much. Good control.

I'd say the Delcos feel good over a rebound situation. They don't feel like they bounce up too much. Good control.
Well, shocks aren't that expensive, or difficult to install. If I am troubled by this in the spring time I may just get delco. Maybe the mono springs destroyed the KYB's by over working them. Who knows. As I mentioned before, the aftermarket mono spring was way too bouncy, and caused the rear to be too high. I think this mono was junk..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom