Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The yearly ritual ~ changing the battery in the B2K, and...

*89x2*

In preparation for Corvettes at Carlisle later in the week, I went to fire "Big-Red" up and found the battery was dead :(

I am begining to think that auto-parts store batteries just are not up to much of any task when it comes to prolonged sitting/trickle charging :(

While I got a new one for free, it is the same thing and I am surely going to be in the same situation again next year (the Delco Battery in the black one, and Interstate in the Ruby one are both fine :confused )

Also, I found the threads stripped out on the one lug for the side-post battery
G_16073G_SW_1.gif
and will give the local Chevy dealer a chance to get me some new ones before trying auto-parts stores, NAPA, etc. You may want to look and see the shape yours are in, as I surely am not alone in this "yearly ritual" of changing out the battery :confused

On another note. While at the auto parts store, I picked up some new windshield wiper blades for my DD - something Callaway4Fun might appreciate ;LOL

Has anyone gotten more than 2-years out of their battery??? :beer

If you drive the car it will last 30 miles in a year does not count as driving.that is just tire rotation'LOL
In preparation for Corvettes at Carlisle later in the week, I went to fire "Big-Red" up and found the battery was dead :(

I am begining to think that auto-parts store batteries just are not up to much of any task when it comes to prolonged sitting/trickle charging :(

While I got a new one for free, it is the same thing and I am surely going to be in the same situation again next year (the Delco Battery in the black one, and Interstate in the Ruby one are both fine :confused )

Also, I found the threads stripped out on the one lug for the side-post battery
G_16073G_SW_1.gif
and will give the local Chevy dealer a chance to get me some new ones before trying auto-parts stores, NAPA, etc. You may want to look and see the shape yours are in, as I surely am not alone in this "yearly ritual" of changing out the battery :confused

On another note. While at the auto parts store, I picked up some new windshield wiper blades for my DD - something Callaway4Fun might appreciate ;LOL

I haven't replaced the battery in my vette, and I have had it for three years, just the alternator. But my vette isnt a garage queen ;LOL.

My mom's '02 Camaro SS has the original AC Delco battery, and it has been in it since November 2001 when we bought it. It has 15,000 miles on it, so take that for what it's worth (pretty much garage queen).

snip
Yeah. I have my last battery for 4 years now, and hadnt had an issue, other then my alt faded out and i didnt notice. I use a Battery Maintainer, so everytime i come home, the battery get's hooked up to the house. Havent had a problem since. Before, i would swap the battery out every year and hate it.
Maybe your trickle charger isnt up to the task ? ;shrug

I can go look at what company/model mine is and post it if you want.

:w
-Stefan

I've been using the 1 amp "BATTERY MINDER" for a couple of years on a variety of batteries with no regrets. They claim to be able to maintain up to 4 batteries of the same type, but you would need to add some wire to accomplish that.
Company website......http://www.vdcelectronics.com/automotive.htm

If your trickle charger is only the "on-off" type, that may be the reason for shortened battery life......

I've been told an even better option is available through any Yamaha dealer......... under the name "OPTIMATE III"......

Info here........http://www.optimate3.com/classic/

Yeah. I have my last battery for 4 years now, and hadnt had an issue, other then my alt faded out and i didnt notice. I use a Battery Maintainer, so everytime i come home, the battery get's hooked up to the house. Havent had a problem since. Before, i would swap the battery out every year and hate it.
Maybe your trickle charger isnt up to the task ? ;shrug

I can go look at what company/model mine is and post it if you want.

:w
-Stefan

Battery charger is the "Battery Tender" brand - top notch from what I was lead to believe :confused

Battery charger is the "Battery Tender" brand - top notch from what I was lead to believe :confused

That's what I use...................never had a problem and a start everytime after the winter sojurn.

Always under the limit. You have to push the envelope once in a while. Take your foot off the brake it works now try the GAS.. HA HA HA
Yeah Pete, backing up at 54mph :eek ;LOL

About 15 seconds after the pic was taken, an unmarked unit was sitting at the next light - Speed limit was 55 ;)

I have had an Interstate in my 84 for almost 4 years with no problem. I have a Snap On Battery Charger/maintainer and it works great.

Seems like a pretty tough crowd tonight in here. I gotta ask you 89x2 how much do you drive your Vettes a year namely the one with the battery issue?

:beer

Mine is a Delco battery,

I disconnect it everytime the car gets in storage for winters and store the battery in my attic.

In April I just pop it in and connect, always works fine without charging.:)

but this year the battery was in the car all winter because of my interior restoring job, and was dead most of the time.:ugh

Chris, are the quick release battery poles not an option for you ?
fr146.jpg

Chris, i have no idea what battery i have, but here is the maintainer thing i mentioned.. Plug and play.. ;) I leave the window slightly open to run the one end of the cable into the car, the pigtails are bolted on the terminals and are left in the car when not connected. Cables shown the left of the pic.. Easy connector.. Easy as 1-2-3..

atm-9201.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...ATM-9201&N=700+400442+302176+115&autoview=sku

Mine is the 9202 version, which is for 12v & 16v (not that i need that, it was the only one available at the time).. Shown here is the 12v only version, 9201..

:)

Thanks guys - I am really thinking it is the battery (brand), as my Delco battery is fine after sitting the same time period - :confused

We'll see - in the meantime, I disconnected it until I can get a quick connect like Jeroen posted - :beer

Always under the limit. You have to push the envelope once in a while. Take your foot off the brake it works now try the GAS.. HA HA HA

Pete, I drove the heck out of the black Twin Turbo today - put about 40 miles on it getting some errands done - I have taken up another hobby, gardening and had to pick up some supplies ;)

6052898.JPG

...talk about trailers! :ugh

collage.gif

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom