Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heat Riser Valve on a 79

P

Possumz

Is there anyway to remove this valve as it makes noise and leaks. I have tightened the bolts already and would like to fix this till i can get a set of headers in the future.
Deron

You'll have to drop the exhaust pipe in order to remove the riser. You'll need about a 2" spacer (give or take) in order to reconnect the exhaust pipe. If headers are in the near future, is the noise bad enough to replace the riser now, or can it wait?

Theres a gasket from the manifold to the top of the heat riser,below theres a fiber,or steel "donut".Theres also a sleve insert that keeps the donut in position.It's cheaper to just replace those items.Instalitation of the headers will also call for a transmission x-member with two holes in it if your gona run duals out the back.Hooker side exhaust headers require no new/used x -member.

Is there anyway to remove this valve as it makes noise and leaks. I have tightened the bolts already and would like to fix this till i can get a set of headers in the future.
Deron
DISCONNECT THE SPRING AND SAFETY WIRE THE VALVE OPEN AND IT WILL BE QUIET. THE ENGINE WILL RUN FINE. RUSS

DISCONNECT THE SPRING AND SAFETY WIRE THE VALVE OPEN AND IT WILL BE QUIET. THE ENGINE WILL RUN FINE. RUSS

that is certainly one solution. the other is that an exact size spacer is available from most of the better parts suppiers. i wouldn't waste the time or $$ if you are planning on replacing the system anyway. if on the other hand, that's just a plan for the future, you might want to do it right with the spacer.

BTW welcome to CAC, it's a great place to hang around with loads of very talented people willing to share their expertise!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom