Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I hate to ask this but where is the emergency brake in a 65?

twoseater

Corvette
1965 Blue Vert, 1980 White Coupe
Seems like it should be obvious but I can't find a release or pull - nothing, not even a hole.

I do see the steel cables underneath - looks in great shape (new). Am I missing the boat on this? I figure its probably a pretty good thing to have!

I hope I'm not going to be embarrassed by this....Hey I found the gas pedal and the clutch on my own :)

"I Think"............

It supposed to be to the left of the console, under the dash.:confused

I don't know for sure, my 68 has it between the seats, but my foggy brain tells me the older cars had it under the dash to one side or another of the steering wheel.
I'm sure someone will come along soon who knows for sure.

Seems like it should be obvious but I can't find a release or pull - nothing, not even a hole.

I do see the steel cables underneath - looks in great shape (new). Am I missing the boat on this? I figure its probably a pretty good thing to have!

I hope I'm not going to be embarrassed by this....Hey I found the gas pedal and the clutch on my own :)

Definitely under the dash, can't remember left or right of wheel. The e-brake handle was moved to between the seats in the console in 1967.

Gerry

It is left of console under dash by the right vent pull knob. Good luck...:)

If you reach for your electric antenna switch on the center console and you don't hit the emergency brake handle on the way - it's missing. Just to the right of the steering column.

OK! So its not so silly of a question. I now see where it SHOULD be but no sign of a handle etc (left under console). Going to have to research what I need to get that operational. Its funny because from underneath the car it looks all new and intact. Perhaps during a past restoration it was forgotten.

I have a Chilton manual for my 80 - didn't even think it would cover a '65 but sure enough I see the parking break assembly there. (No interior details though)

Anyone know if you can pass a state inspection (VT) without one?

Also, if anyone knows where I can get the assemble let me know. Heading to google now.

left of the console, right of the steering column under the dash.

here it is in my '65:

parkingbrake.jpg

Barry

Here are a couple more pics I promised you. Couple a bit off to the side and other on the firewall side.

Geek

Here are a couple more pics I promised you. Couple a bit off to the side and other on the firewall side.

Geek

Thanks all! This is exactly what I needed. Now if I could only find the parts...I think the bracket is going to be a pain and perhaps will need to be custom made.

I really appreciate the help!

I think the bracket is going to be a pain and perhaps will need to be custom made.

I looked in Doc Rebuild's Catalog and he has the cable pulley mounting bracket (p/n 4779117), the pulley and spacer (p/n 4779196), the bolts, the grommet going through the firewall, and what looks pretty much like the whole assembly. You can call Doc at (203) 366-1332 and get a catalog if you don't have one. He's located in CT. Paragon has them as well. (800) 822-4688. You're in there.

Geek

Did you ever get to the bottom of the emargency brake handle in your car?

Yep - it wasn't there. Had to order a ton of parts. One part (the bracket that holds the handle/rod) isn't easily obtained. No one re-manufactures it so I had to have it located and it cost be way too much.

I haven't installed it yet but at least I have the pieces. Its exactly where everyone indicated (under dash right of steering column etc).

Good to hear...now then, I won't ask any more questions of you..sort of giving you a BRAKE :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom