Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MAF burnoff relay vs MAF power relay?

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
I'm also now getting a CEL code for "MAF Burnoff Relay"... oddly, the code gets thrown while the car is driving at highway speeds. I thought the MAF burnoff relay was only used after the engine was stopped?

So I'm trying to replace the relay, but I'm finding two parts available online and only one locally. Online, at Corvette Central, I find a MAF Burnoff Relay *and* a MAF Power Relay. At AutoZone, I only can find a "Maf Relay". No pictures are given of either part and I have no idea if there is any difference or which part AutoZone actually carries. Any clues?

Thanks.
[RICHR]

If memory serves me I had two relays located behind the battery. They used the same part, however.
HTH

If memory serves me I had two relays located behind the battery. They used the same part, however.
HTH

I think those are the fuel pump and overdrive relays, by the brake booster? The MAF burnoff one is supposed to be under the dash by the ECM - or so my Haynes says.
[RICHR]

Mine are located behind the battery on the fire wall near the door and are both the same part number.

Same with mine. I replaced them both right after I purchased my car.

Hmmmmm. Anyone have an AC Delco part number? I'll have to look by the battery now.
Thanks.
[RICHR]

Ah hah... now I see where the confusion is coming from. Looking at Mid-America's list, 87+ Vettes (which you ALL have) use two identical relays. However, 86 Vettes (and 86 ONLY) use two different ones. And of course the one I need is out of stock...

Thanks.
[RICHR]

Yep, my 86 has em' right behind the battery, it is best to change both
at the same time, for $14 bucks each it is'nt very much.
Tom R

(to r rubel)
This is just the Genersl's way of keeping life interesting while playing with our Vette's. No matter what your type of enjoyment, Vette's ain't ever boring.

Ah hah... now I see where the confusion is coming from. Looking at Mid-America's list, 87+ Vettes (which you ALL have) use two identical relays. However, 86 Vettes (and 86 ONLY) use two different ones. And of course the one I need is out of stock...

Thanks.
[RICHR]

Did you ever order or find those relays, and install them?

I bought one from AutoZone and haven't had a chance to look at/for the other yet. Been dealing with some issues on our daily-driver cars for now.
[RICHR]

I may be off base here but I feel your pain in a very personal way. Take a look at this post to explain.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88503

BTW, the relays on your are located between the battery box and the wheel well. I made the same mistake when I replaced mine.

The demons of bad solder and corroded connectors are truly the #1 source of problems with our older C4's,
Oh, you might want to look to Digikey for your relay connectors you can find them online.
I have resoldered my Dash display which I might add has contaminated solder thoughout the main board, typical of early commercial "flow solder" PC boards.
Also the connectors, I must check my relay connectors also.
good post.
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom