Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

On the way...to 200K!

Allright Bill! Hey-there's an '86 'Vette on Craigslist with TPI and a rebuilt tranny for 3K. Saw it yesterday. Silver, looks pretty straight. I MIGHT have been interested, but I have a backhoe in my backyard digging up the sewer line. It ain't pretty....Ka-ching....$$$

Rick
:cry

The 'ol basket case 84 turned 190K last weekend.

Wonder if I can rack up another 10K over the winter... :D

Bill

:upthumbs Kool, when you hit 200,000 the next milestone is closer 250K my 97 hit 100,000 on the way to Carlisle this year they are just getting broken in.:upthumbs too many people worry about putting miles on theirs but I believe that the more and harder you drive them the better they run.

I agree.... I have 189K on mine and it is running just fine....

Dwayne...I'm workin' on it man! Have to see how old man winter cooperates!

Rick...3K is awfully cheap for an 86! I'd be suspicious...

boss, I agree...they were built to be driven! Especially with as much as I've either rebuilt, replaced, or just plain done away with :L I'm gonna drive it! (as long as I can offord to put gas in it)

200K by CF07. It's good to have goals! :D

Bill

If you're aproaching 200K miles on your original timing chain, you're in for a big surprise! That's about when you'll slip a tooth, and all H*** will break loose when your pistons and valves mix it up. There's no warning . . . engine will be running sweet when it very suddenly happens!

To check the slop in your timing chain is easy. Remove your distributor cap, and watch how far you can rotate the crankshaft (using a socket wrench on your harmonic balancer bolt) before the distributor moves.

If you want to keep that engine healthy, change the timing set BEFORE it explodes! (Ask me how I know).

:w S.T.W.

If you're aproaching 200K miles on your original timing chain, you're in for a big surprise! That's about when you'll slip a tooth, and all H*** will break loose when your pistons and valves mix it up. There's no warning . . . engine will be running sweet when it very suddenly happens!

To check the slop in your timing chain is easy. Remove your distributor cap, and watch how far you can rotate the crankshaft (using a socket wrench on your harmonic balancer bolt) before the distributor moves.

If you want to keep that engine healthy, change the timing set BEFORE it explodes! (Ask me how I know).

:w S.T.W.

;LOL

Oh if you only knew the history of this car! Only thing "original" in the engine are the connecting rods and push rods! :D

Thanks for the "warning"...but nothing to worry about. Damn near everything mechanical has been rebuilt or replaced.

Bill

;LOL

Oh if you only knew the history of this car! Only thing "original" in the engine are the connecting rods and push rods! :D

Thanks for the "warning"...but nothing to worry about. Damn near everything mechanical has been rebuilt or replaced.

Bill

Oh, Bill he doesn't know you or the history of your car ;LOLIf he did, he wouldn't have to have posted that one. Good advice for those others with the same situation though.

Oh, Bill he doesn't know you or the history of your car ;LOLIf he did, he wouldn't have to have posted that one. Good advice for those others with the same situation though.

Absolutely good advice Tom! Hell I'd be surprised if a stock timing chain even made it that far! Not only timing chain...but a whole mess of other stuff...engine as well as the rest of the drive train and suspension! (particularly wheel bearings and u-joints) Oh the list just goes on and on and on......

Bill

I like to see Vettes with hi miles.That means someone has enjoyed it and replaced & maintained a lot of parts.

\db2

Ohhh you could say that allright. :L

Bill

If I remember correctly, you've jacked up the radiator cap and replaced everything below--------oh, wait a minute. You replaced the radiator cap too---:L

Well with old man winter and sticker shock at the pumps...it has only made it to 194K so far. Ahh well there's always next year!

Bill

Well with old man winter and sticker shock at the pumps...it has only made it to 194K so far. Ahh well there's always next year!

Bill

Bill, this year isn't even half over yet, don't give up. :upthumbs But that sticker shock is more like a heart attack. I'm still coming out for CruiseFest though.

Hey Tom,

Well I was talking about by CruiseFest time...can't afford 6K miles in a month! :L (and still have to put the thing back together!)

Bill

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but geekinavette ............ are the streets in Colorado Springs STILL this bare?

deuce23text.jpg

This picture was taken in 1967 while I was stationed at Ft. Carson.
Andy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom