Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 seems sluggish compared to my LT4

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
It just doesn't have the throttle response - no where near what my LT4 vette has and it has 165K on the clock. My seat of the pants accelerometer tells me that my old C4 will blow the doors off my 16K mile (nearly new) C5.

Is that typical for a C5 or is there possibly something wrong with it?
thanks

It just doesn't have the throttle response - no where near what my LT4 vette has and it has 165K on the clock. My seat of the pants accelerometer tells me that my old C4 will blow the doors off my 16K mile (nearly new) C5.

Is that typical for a C5 or is there possibly something wrong with it?
thanks

I dont know ,I have an 02 C5 with an automatic, Just a cat back exchaust had it dynoed and it had 313 rwhp and any C4 I came a cross we have been able to beat,Its a real refined car so your seat of the pants may be off

These cars go

Quick story on how refined the car is.

Last week I was taking my daughter to religious instructions in the the C5, She says hit it Dad were going to be late.So I hit it, The car took off great.

She said

Is that all it got?

Zero to 60 in a couple of seconds

She is used to my 66 or 62 and when you hit it all heck brakes lose

I dont know ,I have an 02 C5 with an automatic, Just a cat back exchaust had it dynoed and it had 313 rwhp and any C4 I came a cross we have been able to beat,Its a real refined car so your seat of the pants may be off

These cars go
Yeah, I had to have my seat Re-Calibrated when I got my C5!!!That darn thing runs Quicker,Faster and Smoother than any vette I've had,and I've had some Fast vettes in my lifetime!!!!I've got a LT4 C4 I took in trade now, and My wife can Blow the doors of it in the C5 and she Can't shift worth a darn!!!:upthumbs

Are you serious about blowing the doors off an LT4?

Yeah, I had to have my seat Re-Calibrated when I got my C5!!!That darn thing runs Quicker,Faster and Smoother than any vette I've had,and I've had some Fast vettes in my lifetime!!!!I've got a LT4 C4 I took in trade now, and My wife can Blow the doors of it in the C5 and she Can't shift worth a darn!!!:upthumbs

Really? As an LT4 owner I find this a little difficult to accept. Your 03 C5 is pretty fast and may be (note I said may be) a tad faster than an LT4, but it would hardly "blow the doors off" one. Especially by someone who can't " shift worth a darn". Try posting that statement in the LT4 forum if you don't believe me.

Better check that C4 you took in trade and see how it's running as I suspect it is not in top health....I've driven late model C5's. Stock versus stock they don't "blow the doors" off a healthy LT4. And when your wife was driving the C5, who was at the wheel of the LT4?....or was it still parked at the trade in lot.
Don't get me wrong, I like C5's. But LS1's do not crush LT4's which is what you basically said. In a head to head with an LT4 and a 2003 LS1 the performance difference would probably come down to the drivers.....
You would not be the first person to underestimate an LT4, nor their owners.....
Have a nice day.
RG

Really? As an LT4 owner I find this a little difficult to accept. Your 03 C5 is pretty fast and may be (note I said may be) a tad faster than an LT4, but it would hardly "blow the doors off" one. Especially by someone who can't " shift worth a darn". Try posting that statement in the LT4 forum if you don't believe me.

Better check that C4 you took in trade and see how it's running as I suspect it is not in top health....I've driven late model C5's. Stock versus stock they don't "blow the doors" off a healthy LT4. And when your wife was driving the C5, who was at the wheel of the LT4?....or was it still parked at the trade in lot.
Don't get me wrong, I like C5's. But LS1's do not crush LT4's which is what you basically said. In a head to head with an LT4 and a 2003 LS1 the performance difference would probably come down to the drivers.....
You would not be the first person to underestimate an LT4, nor their owners.....
Have a nice day.
RG

This reflects what I have seen at the drag strip. The LT4 is a very capable engine.

This reflects what I have seen at the drag strip. The LT4 is a very capable engine.

Thank you DRH VTR for verifying that. Therefore, in regards to the opening question by lone 73, I think your C5's power should feel similar to or slightly stronger than your C4 LT4. The fact it doesn't is either the C5 is not running right or it is a matter of perception; the smother and quieter C5 just appears to be slower which is the point IH2LOSE was making.
RG

Having owned an LT4 and now an LS1, they both run great! I think it would be a close run between the two and the driver with the best driving skills would probably win. :lou

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

A C4 "feels" more aggressive than a C5, but now that I'm getting used to my C5 coupe I must say it is rather decieving compared to my 2 C4s. All are capable cars, but on the bumpy cowtrails that pass for 2 lane backroads around here my C5 stays planted whereas the C4s got really "exciting"....of course airbourne wheels don't have good grip do they?

Also, the additional foot and leg room in my C5 is most welcome, plus the ease of ingress/egress......oh yes the additional 50 hp compared to my humble LT1 isn't bad either!

Either way, very nice cars! DFO:)

I agree - the two cars (performance wise) would be nearly a dead heat.

Remo:cool

Well, I can tell you that when I jab the gas about halfway down in the C4 rounding a sharp corner the LT4 car will break loose and start to swap ends pretty strongly. When I punch it from a dead stop the power is right there. Acceleration is IMMEDIATE. The C5 is refined and a joy to drive but it definitely has to be given a second or two for the revs to come up which makes for a much more docile ride.

If I had to choose between a brand new LT4 car or a brand new C5. I'd take the LT4 anyday. Its a serious beast by comparison.
thanks for the responses.

I agree with Remo on this. I've owned an LT4 CE C4 and I have an LS1 C5. I had the opportunity to play with both. A friend with a 2000 A4 G92 car and I with the LT4 CE had a few runs together and it was a dead heat between the two cars from 20 to 130.

Checking the Grand Sport Registry's dyno pages show that most GS LT4 cars dyno in the low 300 HP range which is right where the LS1 cars seem to be also.

Driver skill will be the deciding factor in most comparisons between the two cars.

BTW, the C4 and C5 have such totally different feed back and seat of the pants feel that personal impression is almost worthless when comparing them. When I first started driving the C5, I thought it was too soft and didn't feel nearly as edgy or fast as my C4 then I started autocrossing them at the same place and same day and found the C5 to be very fast yet it didn't "feel" fast. All I can say is "WOW".

Well, I can tell you that when I jab the gas about halfway down in the C4 rounding a sharp corner the LT4 car will break loose and start to swap ends pretty strongly. When I punch it from a dead stop the power is right there. Acceleration is IMMEDIATE. The C5 is refined and a joy to drive but it definitely has to be given a second or two for the revs to come up which makes for a much more docile ride.

If I had to choose between a brand new LT4 car or a brand new C5. I'd take the LT4 anyday. Its a serious beast by comparison.
thanks for the responses.

This is a testament to the C5 chassis technology. Care had to be taken not to do anything sudden in curves as the rear end would become unsettled very easily and I was never real confident of the handling. The C5 is much more stable in the twisties and does not have the snap oversteer feeling the C4 would have. I have driven a heavily modifed LT4 and seat of the pants my 99FRC felt faster, especially when the revs come up. I think the LT4 develops more torque at lower RPM and helps that seat of the pants feel you are talking about.

Personally, I will take my FRC over the C4.

Leon

Have a nice day.
RG
Actually your right!!! I just took it trade last Thursday,it may not be running up to par!! Although it don't seem to be missing or running rough. It has set around allot in it's Life,it only has 65,000 miles on it. I'm just driving it around now to see what it needs before I put it in the shop to check it over before I put it up for Sale!!! This is the first LT4 I've had other than a Grand Sport,It was a Screamer and had some serious Mods and Gears in it! For all I know this one may still have the original spark plugs,air filter and fuel filter in it, alls I've done is fill it with gas. But my wife ran away from me Friday coming back from Asheville on I40 when I met her for Dinner when she got off work!!!! We'll line'um up when I get done Junk'n it!! And switch drivers back and forth!! I'll let ya know if it's any different after it's been gone over!!:lou :upthumbs

I am betting on the C4 after JUNK gets done settin' it straight!

Wonder why I say that?

Check out my sig!

SAVE THE :w

Not sure what to make of this...

My 6-speed has no problem breaking traction in second gear. It throws my head back every time!

:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom