Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

87 heads

Jim D

Corvette
1987 yellow vert
What heads can I use on my 87, I need valve seals , but decided to change the heads . I just want stock heads , something that is resonably priced, Can I use vortech heads, any recommendations, thanks Jim.

I believe vortecs are a no-no with the tpi. '87 has the aluminum heads, correct? Why not look into having yours rebuilt or are you looking for a performance head?

I don't want performace heads, but was told I can buy new for about the same cost of a rebuild, Jim.

I don't want performace heads, but was told I can buy new for about the same cost of a rebuild, Jim.

I don't understand this.

A competent mechanic can replace the seals in less than a couple of hours without even removing them from the engine.

How many miles are on the engine?

Are you having performance problems (other than a puff of smoke on start-up)?

It doesn't make sense to me to change entire heads when all that's needed are some new seals.

I have 74K on the engine, smoke on startup. Was told by friend that owns a shop , and works on Vettes that probably on my year the valve guides are worn. So thats why I was inquiring about heads, Jim.

It is hard to believe that your guides are gone at 74K. I have put over 200K on SBCs without opening the motor. There is one in the garage now with 135K that does not use a drop of oil and still has excellent compression on all cylinders.

Infrequent use is more of an enemy to seals and gaskets than high mileage. With only 47,000 miles in 20 years it is likely that the car has spent long periods of time without the motor being run up to operating temp. If that is the case I will bet lunch at Tavern on the Green that a new set of valve stem seals will cure your morning smoke.

The last time I had SBC heads reworked in the States was about 3 years ago. At that time the shop charged about $300 for the pair.

It is hard to believe that your guides are gone at 74K. I have put over 200K on SBCs without opening the motor. There is one in the garage now with 135K that does not use a drop of oil and still has excellent compression on all cylinders.

Infrequent use is more of an enemy to seals and gaskets than high mileage. With only 47,000 miles in 20 years it is likely that the car has spent long periods of time without the motor being run up to operating temp. If that is the case I will bet lunch at Tavern on the Green that a new set of valve stem seals will cure your morning smoke.

The last time I had SBC heads reworked in the States was about 3 years ago. At that time the shop charged about $300 for the pair.

LOL

Lunch at Tavern on the Green is only a little more expensive that a couple of Bloody Mary's in the Oak Room at the Plaza.

Bring a tie.

I always thought the rule of thumb was, "Smoke on start up...valve seals. Smoke while driving...valve guides". But I could have that bass-awkwards.

I just picked up my old L98 heads from the shop. The bill was only $150 so I ask did you replace the guides. The shop owner said ¨No they checkout as good as new¨. These heads had over 120,000 miles on them when we stuck the 383 in Thunder a few years ago and have been on the shelf ever since…. You got to love what Mobile1 does for your engine.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom