Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 BB Q#1

CAPNZ

Corvette
1973 White coupe
I have a 1973 with a 454 #'s match with 38K miles. My question is....my engine has chrome valve covers, chrome coil, chrome brake cylinder cover. Is this just a factory option? I keep checking prices on 73's/74's online and most pics have the chevy orange paint.

TIA (thanks in advance)

"JEFF"

The valve covers might be original, but I dont thing the chrome coil and master cylinder cover are. Theyre most likely aftermarket.

zachh

None of the parts you mention were chrome plated from the factory, nor were they available as an option. The valve covers were originally painted orange with the engine, the coil was semi gloss back and the master cylinder cover was gold iridite.

The only significant chrome plated piece under the hood in '73 was the ignition shielding cover over the distributor.

HMMMMMM???? When I came back from Viet Nam I bought a 68 427/435 and it had the chrome stuff. The car was a one owner. NO ADD ON'S. Someone told me the chrome was an option. I think I have seen some 70-74 with the chrome. Again, HMMMM????????

"Jeff"

HMMMMMM???? When I came back from Viet Nam I bought a 68 427/435 and it had the chrome stuff. The car was a one owner. NO ADD ON'S. Someone told me the chrome was an option. I think I have seen some 70-74 with the chrome. Again, HMMMM????????

"Jeff"

Chrome valve covers were never an option, in and of themselves. Certain optional engines got them as part of the package, such as the 1967 L-71/L-89 engine.

"Jeff"

Yes, some earlier year big blocks had chrome valve covers. No doubt about that. Unfortunately, they were long gone by '73.

Big blocks thru 1970 had chrome valve covers on the C3's. In 71 it went to orange. They still had the air cleaner chrome and igniton shielding in chrome but that was it!

It's still a BB though! :D

On the 73's they had 3 engines that year

L-48 (std 350 engine 190 hp) had orange painted valve covers

L-82 (opt 350 engine 250 hp) had polished valve covers and ribed if I remember had cross flags on valve covers too.

LS-6 (opt 454 engine 275 hp) had the valve covers painted orange

Hope that this clears a few things for you

Daniel

YEP, that's what my NCRS judging manual says. BUT, I looked at some 73 454 pictures I downloaded @ 2 years ago when I first got the car and there are two with the identical,(dimpled chrome) spot welded valve covers I have and chrome coil and brake fluid cap. Maybe it was a dealer option like the luggage rack and passenger side mirror. ?????????

"JEFF" TIA

YEP, that's what my NCRS judging manual says. BUT, I looked at some 73 454 pictures I downloaded @ 2 years ago when I first got the car and there are two with the identical,(dimpled chrome) spot welded valve covers I have and chrome coil and brake fluid cap. Maybe it was a dealer option like the luggage rack and passenger side mirror. ?????????

"JEFF" TIA

The chrome valve covers were available as over-the-counter parts in 1973, but were only listed as applicable to '67-'69 L-89's; the chrome coil and master cylinder cap are aftermarket - they were never available from the GM parts system.

:beer

HMMMMM??? So,,,,,,, should I rip em off and put on the orange valve covers, black coil & ,(I think), cadmium brake cylinder cap??????? As you know this car has 38K # match miles. It runs like a sewing machine. I WANT THIS CAR RIGHT! It's been hard to track down the 1st owner, as those of you who read my posts last year regarding that heater core to see what the deal is. It came from Ohio, went to Michigan and it's in WI. now. MAN I hate to do it. As we speak I'm putting on a new GM 73 urethane bumper. The original had a few cracks. So that will blow my budget for this year. She will be stored for the winter next week.
I think my question is..... WILL THIS CHROME HURT THE VALUE???????

THANKS PEOPLE!!!!!!
"Jeff" a.k.a Capnz (Retired FF)

As we speak I'm putting on a new GM 73 urethane bumper.

Let me know how the bumper cover (fit and painting) goes, that's one of my upcoming projects. Who did you get the urethane cover from?

IMHO, no. They're an easily removed item, and if you had the OEM-style pieces to offer a purchaser, there should be no problem.

And, don't forget...........some potential purchasers may prefer the chrome. ;)
I have to agree. They are an easily swaped part. But if you are going to show at NCRS or Bloomington Gold then you must swap them out. Why not have both and change them as needed?

Here is my '73 LS4. Does not have the correct plug wires and the ignition shield in not in place. Otherwise is basicly correct. (50k miles, three owner car).
bubbaeng.jpg

tom...

Let me know how the bumper cover (fit and painting) goes, that's one of my upcoming projects. Who did you get the urethane cover from?

Will do. ECKLERS $599.00 Still waiting for it. GM also still has them. @ $670.00

"Jeff"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom