Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 BB Q#1

Thanks Tom. Boy, mine sure looks OEM. The posts mention 70 was the last year. Because,,, if 72's had them one could assume they,(GM), used what was left in stock for early 73's. I've seen that before.

"Jeff"

Thanks Tom. Boy, mine sure looks OEM. .... if 72's had them one could assume they,(GM), used what was left in stock for early 73's. I've seen that before.

"Jeff"
My '73 is an early '73, built Oct 25, 1972.

The '72 big block did not have chrome valve covers.

My understanding, and I may be slightly off, is that for the years that had multiple big blocks, the bottom of the line BB had painted valve covers while the upper tier of BB had chrome valve covers. The 72, 73, & 74 models only had one BB so it got the painted valve covers. :D

tom...

L-48 (std 350 engine 190 hp) had orange painted valve covers
A little tangent here, but I thought all SBC were blue and BBC were orange? Specifically, I've never heard of the L48 being orange.

Jeff, I haven't seen you come right out and directly say it, but are you going for NCRS / Bloomington judging with your car?

A little tangent here, but I thought all SBC were blue and BBC were orange? Specifically, I've never heard of the L48 being orange.

You youngsters won't remember this:
somewhere around the mid seventies GM got their tit in a ringer when they started putting Chevy engines in most everything; a "corporate" engine and didn't announce to the general public. Someone who bought an Olds I think it was sued them. Thats about when they started painting small blocks "Corporate" blue before that they were "Chevy Orange" along with the Big Blocks since the Big Blocks dissapeared around this time I doubt you will find any blue ones.;)

I might EVOL, but not right now. That's why I purchased the NCRS Judging standards. I just like stuff right.
"Jeff"

I believe the SBC went from orange to blue in 1976. 1977 for sure. I had a '73 Nova that was orange, and I'm pretty sure I worked on orange '74's and '75's. HEI (electronic) ignition came out on the '74's-I'm pretty sure the motors were orange then.

We now return to our regular chrome valve cover program...;)

Rick
:gap

CAPNZ

My 73 BB had chrome valve covers, they were on there when I bought it. I replaced my front bumper (had cracks) with a flexable fiberglass bumper. easy install.

CAPNZ

My 73 BB had chrome valve covers, they were on there when I bought it. I replaced my front bumper (had cracks) with a flexable fiberglass bumper. easy install.

HMMMM?? Are you the second owner? Also, do you have a chrome coil and chrome brake cylinder cap???
I was looking at usedcorvettesforsale.com and I've seen 73/74 BB's with the exact kind I have on mine. I called this guy lastnight in OR. who has a 74 BB for sale. He's the second owner and has owned the car for 20 years. He says the chome stuff was on there when he bought the car.
???????

"Jeff"

CAPNZ

I'm not sure where in line of owners I was. No chrome coil but it did have a crome brake cylinder cap.

But if mine had a blue engine, it might match my exterior color better!![/quote

You could always paint it!:L

When I dropped the valve in my original engine, and transplanted a 383 stroker back in, I painted the engine and the fins between the valve covers Ford Red. No kidding. I did this because my blue car has a red interior-factory special order. I took 3 squares of cardboard, painted one Chrysler Industrial Orange, one Chevrolet Orange/Red, and one Ford Red. I set the squares on the windshield and had my wife pick which looked best for my engine paint. The rest is history.

It looks pretty good when I pop the hood and people walk up to check it out. They always comment on how it looks-it does "pop" when you walk up to a blue car, and see a red interior and then a red engine to match.

Staying "somewhat" on topic-I realize my original engine had stamped tin covers (orange), but I like the polished aluminum crossed-flag Z-28/LT-1 covers-plus they don't warp and they have the rocker arm drippers. It looks sharp when you mask them off and paint between the fins to match the engine color. Or, wrinkle black-that looks good, too. I use the Harley-Davidson engine paint wrinkle black. It comes out nice. :upthumbs

Rick
:gap

HMMMM?? Are you the second owner? Also, do you have a chrome coil and chrome brake cylinder cap???
I was looking at usedcorvettesforsale.com and I've seen 73/74 BB's with the exact kind I have on mine. I called this guy lastnight in OR. who has a 74 BB for sale. He's the second owner and has owned the car for 20 years. He says the chome stuff was on there when he bought the car.
???????

"Jeff"

That left twelve years for modifications by the original owner; no Corvette ever left the plant with a chrome coil or master cylinder cap, and the only BB that got chrome valve covers was the L-89. :)

JohnZ is correct--no chrome valve covers from factory on BB 1973 corvettes.
Many 73 owners purchased chrome covers via chevrolet parts dept and put them on. Very common during the era. For example, 71 Chevelle SS454's had factory chrome valve covers. Vette owners got them on put them on their 454 engines. Seen it done many times.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom