Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power window ?

wannavette

Corvette
1986 silver metallic coupe
My windows have never went up & down with blazing speed which I just figured was due to the car being 20 yrs old. But, yesterday I went to put my driver's side window up and it got about 3/4 of the way up and stopped. I waited about a minute and tried it again and it went up a little more and finally it went up after doing this about 3x. When I got back in my car about an hour later the window went down no problem and when I went to put it back up the same thing again.
Would this be the start of the motor going or a bad ribbon?

Sounds like the motor to me. Brushes are probably worn or the com is dirty. Had some luck over the years with other vehicles in just cleaning them up and lubricating a little. The newer ones are harder to take apart, some are sealed and you're forced into replacement. If you do decide to work on the motor make sure you bench test it with a good load so as to not put it back and find the same problem. Use crokus clothe or a small wire brush on the commutator to clean it up. If brushes are worn too bad, replace the motor. Good Luck!

When the window won't go up any more, can you slide the window up by pulling up on the glass? If so, you've got a broken ribbon. If not, then a good cleaning of the window mechanism, and a lube with white grease (Lubriplate) will do wonders! It's not exactly an easy job to get the door apart, and remove the mechanism, but you sure can't just ignore the problem, either! The '84-early '86 windows never were very fast, even when they were new.

You might want to install a new ribbon while you're in there. The ribbons are standard GM fare, and should be available at your favorite auto parts store.

A popular modification is to install the late '86 to '96 window mechanisms. These are adaptable to the '84-early '86 doors. This change-over procedure has been in several of the Corvette magazines. There's probably a web link to show how this is done. I'm sure someone can come up with this web site info!

:w S.T.W.

Hi RV Guy. Normal? Are you expecting them to work like new, when your car is 20 years old? They sure can't be better than new! 20 years of dirt and dried out grease will take its toll. Your window mechanisms probably just need some TLC!

Hi RV Guy. Normal? Are you expecting them to work like new, when your car is 20 years old? They sure can't be better than new! 20 years of dirt and dried out grease will take its toll. Your window mechanisms probably just need some TLC!

Thanks and I'm sure you are right. As I have only owned the car for 3 years I never experienced new so I don't know what to expect and that is why I was asking. My father did own a '90 Olds and I remember that his windows moved slow in my way of thinking and that was when it was new.

Well if yours is an early 1986 it has the ribbon regulator. The problem with these is the motor is sealed. ANY DIRT, dust or other debrie that gets into the door will fall on the ribbon. When you run the window motor you will be bringing that dirt/dust into the motor. Over time the motor startes to slow down until it eventually stops.

The best thing to do is replace this old style regulator with the newer type. Thats what I did. Both my windows move very smoothly and fast. Takes about an hour to do. The hardest part is being able to use a drill to put two holes in the bottom of the door.

replacing left 1996 window motor, need info

well, I get into the 1996 vette this A.M. (its parked in my garage)and the left window is down, as is the right side, I hit the right side switch and the window goes up, I hit the left side rocker switch NADA!ZIP!, I start checking fuses and then test the switch with a V.O.M. meter and the switch seems to be good, so off to the local chevy dealers parts dept, I go, cost of new switch is $150, motors $148, so since IVE tested the switch, Im reasonably sure its the motor, I buy that ONLY,mostly because Im reasonably sure its original and about due anyway,and now IM about to install it and while Ive done it on my 1985 vette Ive yet to do it on my 1996 and was wondering if theres any tricks, potential things IVE OVER LOOKED or info you guys might care to let me in on BEFORE I jump into this little project today...ANYONE???
BTW IF YOU CAN WAIT A WEEK, ECKLERS SELLS THOSE DOOR MOTORS FOR $80 EACH
1996-corvette.jpg

BTW, the motor AND THE BRACKETs and ROLLERS in the window track assembly were worn past the point of use, I needed the complete assembly, cost from chevy $350,(I can,t see how they loose money charging those prices for $40 worth of parts you can,t find elseware) but it was really a better deal in that it was far easier to install as a complete unit vs replacing the motor...and yes Im well aware they are listed far cheaper elseware!, but you pay thru the nose when you want the parts NOW, and are not willing to wait.
yeah, at times I pay retail. just to get the damn thing over with,if it could wait , I could have knocked 40% off the price

BTW re-reading this I see I failed to post the part number...ITS GM# 22063225 for the assembly with the motor for my driver side assembly on the 1996 vette, and ID STRONGLY ADVISE you go that route vs the motor alone as its far less aggravation and well worth the differance in cost

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom