Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing the oil pressure sending unit

Z

zgator

My Vette is an 82 so it's up behind the dist.Looks like I'll have to remove the dist cap and a few vacume hoses to get to it.Can I get the 9/16th wrench under the base of the switch or maybe it's handtightened.Not much room in there.Anybody done this before?Got mine from Autozone,one of their Duralast products.

Real pain to get out. You need a special wrench...its "L" shaped. Or a hinged one. I doubt turning it will get it out.

Jim

Are you talking about an L shaped 91/6 or the BIG one that goes around the outside of the sensor.It still looks like I'll have to move my dist. cap out of the way.

Goes around thw 9/16. The big one is so you can had tighten the new one.

should have added...you only need about a 1/2 turn with the 9/16 just enought to loosen it off...use the big one by hand after...

Jim

I do have a 9 1/16 inch box/open that pivot at both ends.Is this the one that will work?

oil sending unit replacement.

I just changed mine, on my 82. Loosen dist. hold down bolt and rotate dist. clockwise so terminal connectors are out of your way. Remove plug wires on the half of dist. cap where oil sender is. (mark wires first.) Using large waterpump pliers, gently grab sending unit by the BASE where the flat spots are. Loosen it about a quarter turn, then remove by hand. Make sure to blow any gunk out of the area before you remove unit, so nothing falls in brass fitting after you remove unit. Not a big deal, took me 5 minutes.

Sounds like a good plan.How do you know if you get the dist. back in the right place.I say this because you mentioned loosen the hold down on the dist. and turn it.

just make sure you unplug ecm harness before setting timing!!!

Only the light brown wire on the 3 wire harness to the distributor advance needs to be disconnected in order to set the base timing. I put a connector on that wire so I can disconnect it when I need to without jumpering the whole connector.No monkey wrenches involved.:)
I have also put a paint stripe at the base of the distributor to mark the position, once it's set up. That way, I can pull the distributor any time and get it back together fast without pulling the timing light out every time.

Job finished,Works great.Thanks for all the help!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom