Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Location of oil pressure sending unit in '89?

c4steve

Corvette
1989 red coupe
Recently purchased a vette-aid plug&play dash and all is well but I cannot find the oil pressure sending unit. The instructions that came with the dash show it located right under the oil pressure switch(3 wire plug) but it's not under the switch. Anywhere else it could be on an '89 auto vette? I tried searching and poking around the site but nothing that was pertaining to my situation and I hopefully didn't overlook something. Other than this I'm digging the non digital dash (sorry).

Screwed into the top of the block behind and below the distributer.:thumb

Thanks for the reply,may be I'm confused.... All I see is a silver round part about three inches long (diameter slightly larger than a quarter) connected to a metal tee coming off the back of the drivers side head very close to the distributor... Nothing resembling the new pressure sending unit I have. Would it have a three colored wire connector that snaps in the back of described part? Weird I know,the pictures I'm going off of show a pressure sending unit mounted right under the part I mentioned above. Feel'in pretty dumb right now... Thanks again :) .

Thanks for the reply,may be I'm confused.... All I see is a silver round part about three inches long (diameter slightly larger than a quarter) connected to a metal tee coming off the back of the drivers side head very close to the distributor
That be the one!:thumb
Except,the T actually is screwed into the top of the engine block!:thumb:thumb
You'll need a special socket too,they can be a real pain in the WaZoo!~!!:D

PS Some of the C4's had them down above the oil filter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,may be I'm confused.... All I see is a silver round part about three inches long (diameter slightly larger than a quarter) connected to a metal tee coming off the back of the drivers side head very close to the distributor... Nothing resembling the new pressure sending unit I have. Would it have a three colored wire connector that snaps in the back of described part? Weird I know,the pictures I'm going off of show a pressure sending unit mounted right under the part I mentioned above. Feel'in pretty dumb right now... Thanks again :) .

I have a '90 and they should be similar(identical). The long 3 wire switch is NOT for the oil pressure gauge. It is a fail safe that will shut off the fuel pump 2 seconds after starting if it does NOT detect oil pressure. THIS IS NOT THE SWITCH YOU WANT TO CONNECT THE OIL PRESSURE GAUGE TO. The sender switch you want is the other one. I don't have a picture handy but look it up on Rockauto.com and they'll show you one. It is the switch with a single wire. If you are doing electrical on these cars you should have a FSM(factory service manual.) You can get the manual and the electrical supplement on CD at Corvette central. I think they are $29.99. A great investment. :beer

Thanks again guys :) . Looks like its time to get the ramps out and get under the situation :eyerole .

Keep in mind the sender switch above the oil filter is the Oil Temperature sender. If you have the factory integral oil cooler assembly this is definitely the case.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom