Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie Waxer Wants Help

kgelliott

Corvette
2006 Victory Red Coupe
I'd like some opinions on a wax product for my new C6. I am not interested in show car type stuff. What I want is a combination of easiness to apply, long lasting, and shine. I don't want a bunch of steps or products, nor do I want to watch a DVD to figure out how to use the product. I only want to wax my Corvette, have it look pretty nice, and not take all day to do. I want easy.
Can you help? Thanks ahead of time. ;help

There are a multitude of products out there that will look great (some more durable than others). It really boils down to how often you are wanting to apply something.

Let's say twice a year :boogie . OK, maybe only once!?!
(I'm trying hard to be honest, even when it hurts.) Maybe the easiness of doing this and the wonderful shine will inspire me to a higher number per year.
I need easy on, easy off. Thanks.

For the amount of time you want to spend waxing your car and still have it look good and protected it sounds like you need a very good wax. IMO Zaino is the way to go. The very first time you apply it takes some work and a few coats but each time after that its much easier to put on and take off. The best part is it lasts a very very long time. The only up-keep I do is spray it down with the detailer spray after ever wash.

The last time I waxed the vet was well over 6 months ago and it beads water much better than my DD that was waxed a month ago with Meguiar's NXT.

For me spending one day out of the year doing a good wash and wax that will last me the entire year was well worth it.

If you are looking for a wax you can buy off the shelf I would recommend Meguiar's NXT. It goes on very nice and it's easy to take off but I would have to apply it a lot more to keep the same level of shine and protection I have now.

For those who haven't, you ought to try Adam's.

Hands-down, the easiest product to apply/remove that offers the longest protection and shine.

For those who haven't, you ought to try Adam's.

Hands-down, the easiest product to apply/remove that offers the longest protection and shine.

I found Adam's products to be very easy to use, but the durability is pretty limited (around 2 months).

kgelliot - is this going to be your daily driver or a weekend car?

Daily driver, except for a few severe weather days per year in Texas. Garage kept.

Nice '72, Brook. My first Vette was a "72 LT1, many years ago. Is Liquid Glass the brand name of it? Easy on/off?

Most of us find what works for us and stick with it. Today's car car products (Mothers, MacGuires, etc.) are better than they have ever been. I've heard great things about Adams, but haven't tried it, mostly because of my first statement - I've been using Zaino for seven years and have been totally pleased and satisfied. At my age, I find I have less energy to do something such as wax a car. Zaino is a polish, not a wax. Hope this doesn't sound like a commercial. Zaino is by far, the easiest for me and I doubt I will change. That would be my advice; go with whatever you find works best for you.

Turtle wax ice great product.I tried it and was very pleased.easy on/off kinda different for me cause it goes on clear.I've used Rejex and the whole bit.I've got two bottles of Rejex and its good but,wanted to try something new.

Nice '72, Brook. My first Vette was a "72 LT1, many years ago. Is Liquid Glass the brand name of it? Easy on/off?

Thanks! The car is a blast, I've always loved the chrome sharks.

http://www.liquidglass.com/

Liquid Glass is the brand name. Easy on and off. I usually do a coat in the spring, then another coat a few weeks later and that's it for the year.

If you don't like waxing, you can always pay a professional detailer to do it for you. I don't know where in Texas you live, but I'm in Dallas, and my mother paid (I believe) $600 in 2002 to have both her car as well as my car professionally polished. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the type of polish, I believe it was some sort of Acrylic Refinish or something. The guy who does it, works at Love Field detailing the airplanes and jets there and does cars (particularly Corvettes--We met him at Frank Parra Chevy, who was known for being a big Corvette dealer in Texas) as a hobby/side-job.

~$300 a car sounds steep, but the shine lasts a really long time on a "garage queen." My mother's car has never been waxed and has only had this one single $300 job done to it since new (a 2002 model), and it still washes and dries without waterspots and the paint is just as glossy as ever.

On my car, however, the shine and ease of cleaning only lasted a little over 2 years. My car wasn't garaged at the time until we moved and mine is a '95. I now just use Mother's car wax on it. It smells like cherries, is easy to put on, and easy to take off. Does a decent job.

You should probably listen to Zane Oliver though. He's a pro and should know what he's talking about.

Technically, Zaino Z5 Pro and Z2 Pro are pure sealants, not polishes. True polishes have abrasives and/or cleaners.

:)

Then I guess technically, Sal Zaino is guilty of false advertising since both Z5 and Z2 say "Polish" on the labels.
:confused

Then I guess technically, Sal Zaino is guilty of false advertising since both Z5 and Z2 say "Polish" on the labels.
:confused

There's not necessarily a concrete definition for every term used in detailing. I was just clarifying that Z5 Pro and Z2 Pro are pure sealants and not abrasive/cleaning polishes.

:)

Looks Like ICE for Me

I told my wife about the different choices everyone mentioned here. Yesterday (1-26) was my birthday. Had a wrapped gift on my front seat in the morning when I got into my Vette to go to work. Turtle ICE it is! Now let's get some nice weather going soon so I can get started!! Thanks for all the advice and helpfulness. 56 :)

So you went with the Twax ice.trust me you will be pleased.The only trouble with using a great product the first time is that you wont use anything else.and there is a whole gang of good stuff on the market.post pics when ya GET R' DONE.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom