Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cold Air Induction

Wbarnes352

Corvette
2001 yellow conv automatic
My friend owns a 1994 yellow convertible corvette. He is wishing to know which CAI system is the best for his car. Also, he wants to know of actual horsepower gains achieved with the modification.

He has looked into a Vortex Rammer and another system with 3 K&N filters.

Any suggestions?

I believe the model is the LT4.

I can check Monday on any other particulars of his vette.

I will try to get him to sign up to the forum.

WB
:cool 2001 yellow convertible

The CAI will not produce significant gains by itself. Used in conjunction with other mods it can help. I use a JWT. They sound cool anyway!

I think quite a few folks here use the Vortex system. I think it sounds like a good system but I've never used it. One complaint that I read often about the Vortex is the plastic having a tendency to warp.

I think quite a few folks here use the Vortex system. I think it sounds like a good system but I've never used it. One complaint that I read often about the Vortex is the plastic having a tendency to warp.

The best place for that Vortex rammer kit is at the curb on Tuesday morning.SLP is the way to go for LTX cars.

The best place for that Vortex rammer kit is at the curb on Tuesday morning.SLP is the way to go for LTX cars.

I agree.

I have the SLP "Claw" (3 K&N's) on mine and it's a very well made piece. It has served me well for almost 3 yrs and still looks brand new. I've heard negatives about the Vortex, as Edmond was saying...poor workmanship.

I agree.

I have the SLP "Claw" (3 K&N's) on mine and it's a very well made piece. It has served me well for almost 3 yrs and still looks brand new. I've heard negatives about the Vortex, as Edmond was saying...poor workmanship.

A couple of questions about your SLP setup. What kind of work was it to put in? How much did you pay for this system?

A couple of questions about your SLP setup. What kind of work was it to put in? How much did you pay for this system?

I think I paid $219 on a special SLP online was running a couple of years ago.
Install was a piece of cake - 15 min.

And I do believe the Vortex is closer to $300. Not the type of money I'd want to pay for a piece of plastic that could potentially warp (which is the complaint I've read about the most).

Jeff ya got me beat,I payed $269 in all.

One more thing I like about the SLP is that you can paint to match ya fuel rail covers/other goodies under the hood.

SLP

Jeff ya got me beat,I payed $269 in all.
I paid $279 after they had it advertised for $239. They said their prices had gone up since that ad but it was advertised again for $239 in the next issue a month later! Mine also had a nipple on it for hookup of an air box hose. I dont know if someone altered my airbox before I purchased it ( 1993 LT-I ) but mine had no hose that I could find. Did yours have this setup? If so where did the hose hookup on the other end?

Do you get a lot more intake sound with the claw?

Yes, especially w/ the hood open but you'll definitely hear the difference w/ the hood closed as well.

What do you mean by "intake sound"?

It's the "air-sucking noise" you hear, kinda reminiscent of the old carburated engines when you took the air-cleaner off.

One more thought -- if your buddy is looking for looks and quality, SLP is the way to go. If he is interested in performance and quality and a more stock look is OK, tell him to save his money and just cut the air filter lid (or buy a cut one so he can save the original) and stick in a K&N filter. Same air-draw location, roughly same sq. in. of intake area, and will save him $100 or so.

I did it and sounds/looks/performs fine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom