Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Public apology to person who told me Fram was junk

You can still just swap the filter out and add a 1/2 quart of oil. Sure is cheaper than the filter blowing out and trashing the engine

A lot of us are using Mobil 1 oil in our cars and I would hope that the filter under the same name would be optimized for the oil. From the article it appears that the Mobil 1 filter has a filter media entirely different from the others. One would hope that if Mobil allows the use of the name that they would test it well and that is their stamp of approval.

I will use both from now on...........

VanityBob said:
years ago the filter was accessable under the hood. The top screwed off and inside the canister was a roll of toilet paper, in one we were servicing.

WTH??? ;)

why not a AC filter,they are good enought for GM to warranty the engine with a AC filter. why use a different brand?

Don't feel bad, I ran Frams for years until I cut one open and saw how they were constructed.:( Charles

I've used Purolater for years without any problem. For years Fram has spent more on marketing than R&D. Besides racers and enthusiasts, nobody really thinks about the oil filter. Heck, half the mini-van drivers probably don't know what one looks like :D

With my aftermarket oil cooler, I get to use the fram filters. PH8's.

Love it. Last 11 years.
Koooooooooool.
tony

rrubel said:
Just FYI, you can change your filter without losing more than 1/2 a quart or so of oil. I do it all the time - change filter every 3k miles, oil every 10k. Pre-fill the filter (long as you don't have a ZR-1) and add a little to the crankcase to top it off.
[RICHR]
Absolutely correct.

A little to add

This filter thingy is really got me thinking. I can’t think of a more important discussion then this canister that basically supports and cleans the life blood of our engines. Some things are worth pointing out. I do not in any way support, work for or have any stock in any oil filter other then my engine depending on it. In my opinion, individual studies cannot compare with years of engineering, statistically speaking.

Myth: The rubber anti-drain back valve seals against the cardboard and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan.

Fact: The nitrile rubber anti-drain gasket comes between the two. Tests performed in accordance with SAE HS806 procedures consistently show that ____ has one of the lowest leak rates for the anti-drain back valve system. ____ Bypass valves are made of glass filled nylon and withstood hot oil durability testing. A million opening cycles at 275 degrees Fahrenheit.

Myth: Metal end disks can only provide adequate strength in a hot oil environment.

Fact: The issue here is not metal or cardboard but the adhesive strength and it’s adhesion ability to attach itself to the material used. Cardboard has this ability along with the fiber construction to be strong and inert in a hot oil environment. Adhesive thickness adds to the strength of cardboard.

Myth: Amount of filter paper (media) in a filter (measured surface area) is the sole ingredient in filter capacity.

Fact: It is the media depth and it’s fiber construction that play a vital role in determining how much dirt a filter a filter can trap before it becomes clogged. Visual inspection on a filter cannot determine this. An industry-accepted test as pointed out earlier (SAE HS806) written by the “Society of Automotive Engineers”, only by running hot oil through a filter can determine can their relative dirt containing capacities be determined. Some manufactures pack a filter with media and this is their strategy for bringing up a filters capacity to hold dirt. Could this be a factor in a pound or two of lower oil pressure? I’m not an auto mech….but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night! Sorry…have to appreciate the humor in everything! Cheers!

As a member of the automotive aftermarket parts business for 30 years, FRAM is still #1 when it comes to a poor quality oil filter.

Cut one open sometime... you wouldn't put one on a lawn mower, let alone a Vette.

As a member of the automotive aftermarket parts business for 30 years, FRAM is still #1 when it comes to a poor quality oil filter.

Cut one open sometime... you wouldn't put one on a lawn mower, let alone a Vette.

Amazing, In all my years I thought Fram was a quality product, I never opened one up.

I wonder if these were the filters Jiffy Lube was using a few years back when they were having issues where the filter collapsed and restricted oil flow burning up the engine?

Well Golleee, learn something new everyday. What brand should we use that's readily avaliable?

Well Golleee, learn something new everyday. What brand should we use that's readily avaliable?

The blue Delco filters should be readily available at the stores. They're about $5.00 a piece so it won't break the bank. The Purolator filters are also quite good and they're a buck less than the Delco filters.

I keep telling my neighbor that FRAM is junk but he won't believe me. He keeps saying that he see's them being used in racecars.

I'm just going to have to cut one open so he can see for himself.

Many filter suppliers are inconsistent in quality, since they themselves often do not manufacture their own filter. (Delco is not always the same internally, exterior markings however are consistent) This is due to the fact that manufacturing contracts usually go to the lowest bidder.

For consistent internal quality, WIX is hard to beat. This includes their private label brands such as CARQUEST & NAPA. WIX does make a "second line" oil filter, so you still need to specify their first line grade of oil filter.

A quality oil filter is a cheap investment. Buy the best you can to protect your investment.

Damn, lets make up our miinds. I just got back from AutoZone where I returned all my Frams (2) and got AC Delcos instead. Of course they all thouight I was nuts. I suppose I am sorta....

Damn, lets make up our miinds. I just got back from AutoZone where I returned all my Frams (2) and got AC Delcos instead. Of course they all thouight I was nuts. I suppose I am sorta....

Sorry Glide...If it's any consolation, the Delco's are far and away superior to a Fram.
:cool

Better to spend $12-15 now,than $1000's later. I just fail to see why people want to cut corners when it comes to their vette.;shrug k&n/mobil/ac delco should be your first choices.

Yeah, it is amazing. The difference between a cheap filter and a good filter is less than $7. You might do 3-4 changes a year. So saving a few bucks is worth getting a new motor? It doesn't make sense at all.

I've also never understood people who would change the oil but not the filter. The money isn't worth risking.

oil filters

I've changed oil a thousand times with all brands of filters and never had a problem. But I'm not going to use Fram again. Nuff said

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom