Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Public apology to person who told me Fram was junk

zombie thread.jpg

On the otherhand, going through this thread a was a trip down memory lane in terms of some members we haven't seen around in a long time. :cool!: (Wait, I don't mean, "Cool, we don't see them". I mean, "Cool, seeing old names and all..." :thumb

Fram

I now it's old but the problems still exist. There have been many Ford 5.4's that the cam phasers have died as a result of current Fram filters breaking down.
40 yrs ago I used to use only Fram, today I wouldn't touch them with a 12' pole.

Actually, the bad rap on Fram partially based on their cheesy construction is many years old. I can't think of anyone in my circle that has used Fram, even in their street cars, for decades. Car nuts tend to buy premium priced products, which is why we have K&N, (what I use) Mobil 1 Synthetic, AC Ultra, etc.

I don't know if the decline started when Allied Signal bought Fram, but it appears that the purchase didn't improve the product. When Fram is the featured filter at Wally World, you know it's built to a price point.

Actually, the bad rap on Fram partially based on their cheesy construction is many years old. I can't think of anyone in my circle that has used Fram, even in their street cars, for decades. Car nuts tend to buy premium priced products, which is why we have K&N, (what I use) Mobil 1 Synthetic, AC Ultra, etc.

I don't know if the decline started when Allied Signal bought Fram, but it appears that the purchase didn't improve the product. When Fram is the featured filter at Wally World, you know it's built to a price point.
FRAM is now owned by New Zealander Graeme Hart's company "Rank Group" (Rank Group Limited)

And, sadly to say, K&N oil filters are no longer "Made in America". I think the HP-xxxx has been picked up by manufacturers in Korea. (I can't recall what it says on my product box.) There's also an oft quoted statement floating around the interwebs that the filtering efficiency has dropped to 80%. I don't know that to be true, so take that for what it's worth.
I still use the Mobil-1 on my Vette because I have all the room in the world to access it, but I was really liking the K&N 1" welded nut for loosening the filters in the tight quarters on my daily drivers.

your oil filter shouldn't be that tight that you need a wrench to take it off .
BTW look inside at the cage in an AC Delco oil filter... plastic. friend had one break apart on his dirt track sprint car, nearly lost an engine.
I have gone to Purolator oil filters.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom