Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Public apology to person who told me Fram was junk

J

jbaker

I must apologize. I thought , who ever it was that told me Fram filters were a POS was full of it. Come to find out, he was 100% on the mark. Here's a link, to a series of comparisons, and a writeup about the failure of a filter, known as FRAM:

Fram/Oil Filter Article

So, I stand corrected, and if I hadn't just spent $30 in synthetic oil, and changed the filter last weekend, I'd swap in a GM filter!!!

Jeff

purolator's is a good filter imo

*89x2* said:
That's NEAT stuff Thanks for the hot link!!! :beer

NO problem! It opened my eyes, to say the least... Funny thing is, one of the company's that I deal with at work is Allied Signal & Honeywell... Strange that since Allied took over Fram, quality went in the toilet!!!

Just FYI, you can change your filter without losing more than 1/2 a quart or so of oil. I do it all the time - change filter every 3k miles, oil every 10k. Pre-fill the filter (long as you don't have a ZR-1) and add a little to the crankcase to top it off.
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
Just FYI, you can change your filter without losing more than 1/2 a quart or so of oil. I do it all the time - change filter every 3k miles, oil every 10k. Pre-fill the filter (long as you don't have a ZR-1) and add a little to the crankcase to top it off.
[RICHR]

I was wondering about that, but, is that ALL you lose? Granted, the filter's a lot higher then the pan, but I'd figure a bit more then that??

Rich is correct. You won't lose more than a half-quart or so. ;)

_ken :w

Back in the late 60's FRAM bought our Drag Racing team two Ford 427 engine rebuilds due to the filters coming apart and sucking filter media through the engine. After the second time they asked us to use another brand filter cause they said theirs would not stand up to the high Volume suction rate of the oil pump. Off the record the Fram guy said the filters were junk. They were then and still are it appears by the info in the article. I have always used AC since and most likely will continue using them.

Randy

I tried Fram one time and that was also the last time. I don't use Fram on any of our cars and never will.

I use Mobil 1 on the Vette'. I like the tougher case on the Mobil 1 and it's easily available at our local auto parts store. Though quite expensive at $10, it's not that significant because I don't put that many miles on the car. I do feel safer using the Mobil 1, not because of the price, the Fram I used (something X2?) was the same price as the Mobil 1.

Glad to hear that you have seen the light - your car will thank you for it. :L Fram oil filters really are cr@ppy.

I only use K&N Gold Performance oil filters on the Vette.

Wow! After reading this post and the attached testing article I replaced the FRam with an AC the very next day.
Thanks for the info.
Couldn't find a Mobil 1 or a K&N in a hurry so I'll order one so it's ready for the next oil change.

Go CAC!!

Another note on the FRAM: when I took the FRAM's off (I used them on the non-Corvette cars a few times), I clamped onto the filter and the case would actually get crushed! I know I'm not supposed to be strong enough to do that. I just couldn't get over the flimsy case.

Thats funny, we sell Fram, Defense, Purolater One, and PowerFlo.

I just grab which ever works at the time I never really thought about or kew the difference.

I know the Fram is Allied Signal and so it the Defense (Probably the same filter) But the Powerflo and Purolator seem to be a much better filter according to the article.

Well for the next change I'll dump in a Puro or a Powerflo!

That's funny, Fram telling you to use another filter. That's a vote of confidence. No more fram for me! Guy

Woops......I've always used fram....210,000 on a ford pickup....125,000 on a mercedes and 65,000 on a vette. I keep my cars forever. Let's face it....quality in everything is not what it used to be. It's all about the dollar....that I believe. I'm reluctant to change at this point. IMO...I know I'll get hammered here for that!

K&N Gold Filter

Has anyone taken apart a K&N Gold Oil filter? What type of media do they use, paper or synthetic? I'm torn between using the Mobil 1 or the K&N.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom