Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do C5's Go In The Snow?

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
This looks like it might be a long....long......long drive home.
Remo:cool

snow1.jpg

Ashland, Ohio

Good ole' Norm Crowe says he can get around town with a set of these on his 2000 coupe. Of course if the snow is more than 6" deep "you got a problem". It seems Norm thought it would be a good idea to lower the car last summer. According to Norm "she sure looks better a little lower - but it does make the winter driving a little more challenging."

C5parts031-1.jpg

Easy

I have driven Vettes in Chicago snow for years with few problems.

The trick is to use a light throttle and ease out the clutch in a slow, measured way to hold traction. If I feel the wheels start to slip, I just step on the clutch a little and ease up on the gas.

Sometimes I start in second on C5s, but there is more control and clutch and throttle metering is easier when starting in first.

I drive slowly and take my time.

The only tires I had trouble with were the original GY run flats on my '99.

Of course more than 6 inches of powdered snow means I walk.

Good ole' Norm Crowe says he can get around town with a set of these on his 2000 coupe.

C5parts031-1.jpg

Remo, could you ask Norm how he got those chains on? I do not have enough room in my wheel wells to get my hand in there and pull the hooks around.

Not that I've tried or anything coughcough :ugh

Remo,

You have too much time on your hands, my brother.

beatadeadhorse.gif

:boogie
Guy

Remo, Remo, Remo - and you were doing so well with all your other photo threads. :(

Patrick? Jim? The meds?

Just a little longer Remo. If it's too bad, get on a plane and head south. One of us below the snow line will let you drive our non-Lingenfelter Corvettes for a few days until the worst of it has passed. :cool

:w Jane Ann

Remo, Remo, Remo - and you were doing so well with all your other photo threads. :(

Patrick? Jim? The meds?

It is just what I feared. He is becoming tolerant to his winter meds. He is already taking doses that would drop a water buffalo in his tracks.

Maybe we could up his prune juice. Then he would not be so full of it. :chuckle

Wish I had taken a picture of my FRC stuck in the snow on the side of the street as I unloaded her after my trip to Philadelphia. She's in a parking garage now with all the salt and chemicals on her. If the weather stays as warm as it is now and the snow melts away I may try to get her cleaned up soon. Not sure when it will be clear enough for me to get her washed. She's a site alright. :)

Oh, and the parking on ice in Annapolis as well. Good times. :)

Leon

It is just what I feared. He is becoming tolerant to his winter meds. He is already taking doses that would drop a water buffalo in his tracks.

Maybe we could up his prune juice. Then he would not be so full of it. :chuckle

Remo- You know that I am just funnin' with you... ;)

What a Support Network

All right - I get it. I've upped the meds and the prune juice. But "come on".....what would winter be on the CAC if I didn't post this pathetic thread every year? Hey did you guys hear that "thud"? OMG - my pet water buffalo just fell over.
  • Peter - thanks for the driving tips - so it's all in the clutch is it?
  • Leon - is this official - have you moved to Philadelphia?
  • Jim - I'm holding on - I've got enough meds to make it through. Sorry about the momentary slip. I'll go back to the meetings.
  • Jane Ann - I love your idea - maybe I should start thinking about a permanent move south.
  • Guy - what's that "beating a dead horse" logo mean?
"thanks everyone - I'll seek help"

QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

More Fun In The Snow

Here's where a guy in Denver has just about had enough. Apparently he simply
left the shovel leaning against his C5, went upstairs and started drinking.

snowplow.jpg

Here's where a guy in Denver has just about had enough. Apparently he simply
left the shovel leaning against his C5, went upstairs and started drinking.

snowplow.jpg

For the record: That isn't me. My Z06 is black. But given the winter we've had in Denver this year... surrendering to the snowfall and going inside for a drink (prune juice, of course ;) ) isn't such a bad idea.

Remo, we must stick together. We must be one another's mutual support through this winter. Hang on, my friend. Saint 'Me' Day is just around the corner, and that's the doorway through which Spring will come. You can do it, Remo. I can do it. We can survive this hideous winter and emerge all the better for it.

-(Saint) Patrick,
Driving the snakes out of Colorado.

Remo, we must stick together. We must be one another's mutual support through this winter. Hang on, my friend. Saint 'Me' Day is just around the corner, and that's the doorway through which Spring will come. You can do it, Remo. I can do it. We can survive this hideous winter and emerge all the better for it.

-(Saint) Patrick,
Driving the snakes out of Colorado.

Patrick, do you sell Rainbow vacuums in your spare time?

;LOL

Snow isnt the main problem although it is a significant issue.

I think any Vette owner is more concerned about all that salt that gets into the cracks and is impossible to spot and clean. Those who have not seen the effects of winter on cars would be terrorised upon seeing cars that are normally black turn to a shade of light grey from all the salt that sticks on.

If it werent for the salt, i might drive my Z on those sunny winter days.

....Jane Ann - I love your idea - maybe I should start thinking about a permanent move south....

Come on down and join us Remo - I'll set a place at the table for you.

:w Jane Ann

Remo ,Theres plenty of space next to me at Conway self storage in Orlando.The nice Cuban lady who lives in unit 387 cooks a mean breakfast.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom