Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WIPER DOOR VACUUM CONTROL SOLENOID

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
I've replaced the all the vacuum hoses, wiper door and wiper override switches, wiper arm switch, and the headlamp vacuum relay. My lights still don't go up and down!

I have not yet replaced the the vacuum control solenoid (that's mounted on back side of the tachometer).

From what I understand, the unit gets its power from the wiper switch. My interior is still bare, and none of the switches are connected.

Is there a way I can check whether or not the solenoid is still functional? It appears to be relatively new, and I would hate replace another functional part.

Thanks.

Ralph
:w

Just apply 12 volts to the two terminals an see if it clicks. To check vacuum function, use a hand held vacuum pump (mityvac etc.) and see if applying the 12V opens and closes vacuum w/o leaking.

Just apply 12 volts to the two terminals an see if it clicks. To check vacuum function, use a hand held vacuum pump (mityvac etc.) and see if applying the 12V opens and closes vacuum w/o leaking.

Duke, great idea. Thanks for the help.

Same Problem

I just picked up a 69 and have the same problem. Lights work, but will not come up, and the wipers will not work. When I turn on the lights, I get wiper o/d popping up on my dash. Any suggestions on where to start...I need to get a Haynes for my 69...

I just picked up a 69 and have the same problem. Lights work, but will not come up, and the wipers will not work. When I turn on the lights, I get wiper o/d popping up on my dash. Any suggestions on where to start...I need to get a Haynes for my 69...

You need to get the Factory Service Manual not the Haynes its generic and just makes your headaches worse.

Get a copy of "1969 Chassis Service Manual Chevrolet Chevelle Camaro Nova Corvette" as a reference. It's a great resource. I relied upon it heavily to
remove/repair/replace all of my front end suspension, steering, and spindles.

It's available on Amazon.com at: http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Servi...7585455?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173756903&sr=8-1

I was disappointed with the Haynes manual.

Ok. Car sat for 18 years. We had a nice day on Tue so I went for a drive. About 1/2 hour into it...pop...the lights and wiper door went up. Tried the wipers and they work. Now the wiper door will go down when I use the bleed, but the lights stay up. So I now know things work for the most part. Of course everything popped up as a nice young lady in a really nice 75 coupe with sidepipes was waving at me...hmmmm

Yes and no. The wiper door cover works, the headlights do not appear to. After I pulled the over ride and let it sit for a while, I couldnt even budge the headlights by hand.

Check what is called the 'witches hat' on the solenoid control rod. I had this same issue and the witches hat (which is made of rubber) had hardened over the years which was causing a vacuum leak.

Hope it works

Got the Vacuum line trouble shooting guide. It is a big help. Lead me right to the headlight overide. The out-line was busted, ordered an new one. Hope that does it since I could not go any further with my vacuum gauge then the out off the fire wall. I should have it by next weekend and let all know. I would recommend the trouble shooting guide (expensive for a xerox paper) and a vacuum gauge for anyone doing this kind of work.

Keep your fingers crossed for me

Really Confused

Ok,
Replaced the overide. I now have a vacuum, but nothing is down. However as I was working down the lines, I noticed that when I pull the line that goes to the bottom of the wiper door actuator (goes back to the Actuator outlet) and put my finger over the sucking hole, the door closes and stays closed even after the line is put back on. When I turn the car off, the wiper door opens. So that is confusing me. I figurure with a bad relay, as soon as I put the hose back on, the door should have opened.

With the headlights, I have a good vacuum going down to the actuator relay, but no pressure comming out. So is it bad relays, or something else?? Also when I turn on my headlights, My wiper O/D light comes on ( One of my few working warning lights);help

Ready to scream

Same problem still as above. Now the wiper door goes down when the car is turned on, but pops open when I turn off the engine. Also popped open when I accidently went into 4th gear instead of 2nd. Also, it the door suppose to open when you turn on the wipers, becuase mine doesnt.

As for the headlights, forget about em, they wont even budge.

Good news is my horn decided to work again all by itself:L

I was screwing around last night trying to get the wipers working and must have left the rotary switch on; had a dead battery this morning.:eyerole :eyerole
I keep saying I am going to replace the whole vacuum system with linear actuators I may just have to :W :W

BTW does anybody know which way is off on the rotary override switch under the dash?
thanks
Craig sr.

I was screwing around last night trying to get the wipers working and must have left the rotary switch on; had a dead battery this morning.:eyerole :eyerole
I keep saying I am going to replace the whole vacuum system with linear actuators I may just have to :W :W

BTW does anybody know which way is off on the rotary override switch under the dash?
thanks
Craig sr.

Right or towards the passenger door allows the wipers to move. Left or towards the drivers side activates the over ride and stopps the wipers in place. You want to keep the dial towards the passenger door so you do not activate the overide. This is probably the only thing I am sure about on the vacuum system

Thanks, I will go look and see which way mine is. I just switched it to the opposite side then it was on when the battery went dead :L
BTW I don't have a dial and I have only one vacuum override gonna have to make up my mind about the linear actuators real soon. I was hoping it would be something simple; I do need to check out the dash grounds I don't have any gauge lights and the only gages that work are the speedo, Tach and gas gage.;LOL

Now its really intresting

Wiper doors stay down for the most part when I turn the engine off. I noticed the wiper door vacuum shut off valve is pretty worn. Gonna replace that since I think it has a small leak and that should keep the doors down. However they will not go up when I turn on my wipers, bad wiper switch???

Also, while putzing around the lights I noticed I only have vacuum coming out of my middle port in the Vacuum Actuater relay. As soon as I switched my lines to the vacuum line, the headlight doors went down. They will not go up when I pull the overide under the dash, or turn on the lights. Bad relayor bad switch? Is there suppose to be vacuum coming out of all the relay holes?

Good news is I now know it is not any of my actuators are the vacuum canister.

Its a Vette

Ok, I replaced my wiper door safety switch or whatever it called again and that did the trick. It was very brittle and didnt hold the vacuum. However the cheap little bolts that hold my wiper door on broke as soon a I put pressure on them. Anyone know of a good way to get them out. They are only about 1/8th in. I would hate to have to tap.

Also, my wiper o/d light still comes on when I turn on my headlights. Is this suppose to happen??:W

The best way to tackle all of these problems is to start from start. Start at the intake manifold itself, and check all the componants, (filter, check valve...etc, etc) make sure the connections are tight and they are working. When you get to the "t" connection under the dash that sends control vacuum to one side, disconnect and block one side of the "t" and WORK ON ONE THING AT A TIME. There are actually three different systems working together to get all this stuff to work. The main vacuum system, the control vacuum system, and the actuator system. They are all seperate, and need to be hooked up and kept that way. The entire system is acvtually pretty straight forward, if you study the diagrams, and follow the hoses.

Having vacuum in the control system holds everything closed, a LACK of control vacuum makes things open.

...I've replaced the all the vacuum hoses, wiper door and wiper override switches, wiper arm switch, and the headlamp vacuum relay. My lights still don't go up and down!...I have not yet replaced the the vacuum control solenoid (that's mounted on back side of the tachometer)...

Wiper door solenoid doesn't have anything to do with the lights. The solenoid only opens and closes the wiper door.

Have you checked the headlight switch? There is a vacuum line to it and one from it. If either is not connected, you should hear the leak when you pull the knob with the engine running.

AIM shows the vacuum hose routing and color codes fpr all of this (headlights, wipers, acuators, relay valves, overrides, supply tank, etc). Granted, the AIM is possibly not the clearest reference for this, the information is there.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom