Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

chambered exhausts over at mad

76corvette

Corvette
1976 White L82 Coupe & 2001 White Convert
wow - the chambered exhausts from mad have really gone up in price! i bought mine for my previous 76 about 2 or 3 years ago and i think it was half the price they are getting for them now ($700).. anyone know why it went up? or is it just supply/demand? those hooker sidepipes arent too far off in price then.... why cant things become CHEAPER rather than more expensive.

also.. what do they mean by "hipo"? 1974-79 HIPO 2 1/2" Automatic with 2" Manifold

:(

lol i think i answered my own question.. 699 is for the stainless steel.. 300 for the non stainless.. wow what a difference..

The prices of all metals have gone up from what I hear. I work for a catalog/online company and our brass statues have gone up quite a bit. I am sure its all related to the ever rising fuel costs.

Aluminized over Stainless Steel

"...also.. what do they mean by "hipo"? 1974-79 HIPO 2 1/2" Automatic with 2" Manifold..."

:(

"Hipo" is short for hi performance.

I went with the aluminzed system. While stainless steel looks nice at first, it's much more expensive than aluminzed, and the stainless steel pipes will eventually turn blue near the headers and yellow toward the rear.

According to Corvette Central, the stainless steel also retains heat which will radiate through the floor of the car (ugh!!)... us C3 drivers are already prone to suffering from heat exposure from our beloved sharks, and this can exacerbate that dilemma. The retained heat also causes the entire system to grow in length as the car warms up.... this change can cause even properly fit pipes to eventually rattle.... not cool (no pun intended).

Finally, the stiffness of the stainless steel can cause inconsistencies in bending and clamping difficulties.

For those looking to buy an exhaust system - my advice, save your money and opt for the aluminzed sytem. I did - it was about half the cost of stainless, and I have been totally satisfied with it.

According to Corvette Central, the stainless steel also retains heat which will radiate through the floor of the car (ugh!!)... us C3 drivers are already prone to suffering from heat exposure from our beloved sharks, and this can exacerbate that dilemma. The retained heat also causes the entire system to grow in length as the car warms up.... this change can cause even properly fit pipes to eventually rattle.... not cool (no pun intended).

That BS has been in the CC catalogues for years- it's complete cr*p and should be ignored.

The actual differences in the two materials are so small that you need to go to the third decimal place in calculations.:boogie

The prices of all metals have gone up from what I hear. I work for a catalog/online company and our brass statues have gone up quite a bit. I am sure its all related to the ever rising fuel costs.
My company buys large amounts of stainless steel and I can tell you that because of a sur charge on nickel content , stainless has skyrocketed. Because I'm in manufacturing and I saw it coming I bought the stainless exhaust system for my C5 last year. It's only going to go higher so if you are so inclined-buy now!

My company is in heavy highway construction and we just received notice of another large increase in steel prices.

Makes you want to buy steel stocks.

That BS has been in the CC catalogues for years- it's complete cr*p and should be ignored.

The actual differences in the two materials are so small that you need to go to the third decimal place in calculations.:boogie

Regardless, I'm happy with the aluminized system and even happier with the lower price.

I purchased the aluminized version last time also. I am going to buy one for this vette.. its just when i saw 699 i didnt realize that it was because it was SS. 300 is a good price for the best sounding exhaust available (well the side exhausts are the best). Honestly I wish i could buy just the "chambered" part of the exhaust as the exhaust shop cut and bent their own pipe.

Strangely, my neighbors didnt love the chambered exhaust as much as I did. :chuckle

Try the sweet thunder web site. I believe they sell just the chambers.

Yes, you can just buy the chambered sections. I have two chambered sections on each side so that it is no so loud at idle and low RPM. Of course when you step on it, most everyone else hates it but you.

just checked out that site and that was EXACTLY what i was looking for!!! thank you!!!!!!!!

do you happen to know if these are the same chambered exhaust chambers that mad uses? it looks like they have two different alluminized chambers.. the first one listed and then the one right below it that is there "custom upgrade" which has a more mellow sound

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/chambered_general_main.html#aluminum

just checked out that site and that was EXACTLY what i was looking for!!! thank you!!!!!!!!

do you happen to know if these are the same chambered exhaust chambers that mad uses? it looks like they have two different alluminized chambers.. the first one listed and then the one right below it that is there "custom upgrade" which has a more mellow sound

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/chambered_general_main.html#aluminum

I have the 2.5" Madvet chambered system in my Vette. The Vette uses 30" mufflers. The ones from Sweet Thunder look a bit different than the Madvet versions- but they're probably the same functionally - just as long as they're made on a "Walker Machine".

Last winter, I bought two 18" chambered mufflers for the Camaro from Exhaust Doctor (check them out at: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZexhaustdr2n7a ). I got them
both brand new for less than $50 (yes for both). They even made custom-sized inlet and outlets (I needed 2.25" for the Camaro). I installed them with an H-Pipe --- still very loud!

Ralph

"...Of course when you step on it, most everyone else hates it but you..."

Aahhh... if they can't take a joke screw 'em!.... Get in front and then Step on It!!!!
:lou

now im excited!!!.. :drool:

im going to get 2 of the 30" custom upgrade chambers with the 2.5" inlet/outlets and 2 1/4" baffle and then a H pipe.. ~$200 rather than the $300 from mad.. + installation

i miss that sound.. if anyone is considering buying a set - do it!

now im excited!!!.. :drool:

im going to get 2 of the 30" custom upgrade chambers with the 2.5" inlet/outlets and 2 1/4" baffle and then a H pipe.. ~$200 rather than the $300 from mad.. + installation
i miss that sound.. if anyone is considering buying a set - do it!

Andy,

You're gonna love it. I do experience pops on deceleration. An H-Pipe will help eliminate these annoying pops.

Here's a post with some excellent H-Pipe info from Evolution80 that you should read: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89691&highlight=h-pipe

Install the H-Pipe now, not later. I haven't done it yet on the Vette (PIA to do it now that exhaust has been installed - and not the highest priority). However, I did install the Summit H-Pipe Kit (part # SUM-642025 "Balance Tube Kit") on the Camaro and ---have not had one pop on deceleration! The H-Pipe kits are relatively inexpensive, $32 for the kit at Summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-642025&N=700+115&autoview=sku --- GO FOR IT.

Ralph
:w

that thread confirms that this is the way to go for me.. the only thing im undecided about is whether or not to get the the basic group (loudest) or the custom upgrade ("mellow") to go along with the h-pipe (which also produces a more mellow sound).

Anyone happen to have a set of the sweet-thunders?

lol i wonder why it didnt show me the 2.5" kit.. i looked on summit last night and only saw the 2.25.. thanks for that link!! :W

You're welcome, I'm glad you're getting closer to making decision. If you are referring to the H-Pipe, Summit does offer the 2.5" kit --- here it is http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-642025&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Ralph

yeah i was mentioning that when i first looked i didnt see the h pipe kit for 2.5.. but i got it thanks to the link you posted - ill see if i can get a good sound clip and post it so people can hear and ill definitely take some pics to post up.. just gotta wait for my seats to come back as its hard to drive it without them.

Andy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom