Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

For the folks who've owned both C5 and C6 Z06s

1stiff84

Hi Everyone,

Local dealers won't let us drive their cars, new or used.

I am considering this trade, and would appreciate your candid feedback covering pros and cons of your decision.

Please include whether you initially liked the body style of the new C6Z or not, and in the end, if it was worth the cost difference.

Thanks in advance, everyone!!! :w

I didn't own a C5Z but I've flogged one. I do own a C6Z and flog it too. I didn't see a lot of difference between the 2. They both spin their tires easily. The C6Z pulls a little longer in each gear (and harder too.)

There isn't any reason your local dealership shouldn't let you drive a base Corvette is there?

My dealership practically forced me into the driver's seat. I've never bought a car from them before so they didn't know me from Adam.

Remember: the sales staff will judge you by your appearance at first. I dressed like a bum and they STILL made me buy a Z06, damn them! They're smooth!:L

The car is a kick, though!

You know the drill...:w

Thanks for the response, Norty.

Did you buy from Weseloh? (I used to live in Olivenhain, and found them to be among the most accommodating dealerships I’ve ever visited).

Local dealer won’t let me drive their new inventory, base coupe or Z06, and I’ve bought all of my cars from them. :W

Local dealer won’t let me drive their new inventory, base coupe or Z06, and I’ve bought all of my cars from them. :W
That's unbelievable! You should buy your next one NOT from them.
I haven't driven the c6 Z long or hard enough to compare it to the C5 Z. But I would LOVE to have one :D

That's unbelievable! You should buy your next one NOT from them.
I haven't driven the c6 Z long or hard enough to compare it to the C5 Z. But I would LOVE to have one :D

Nice to read from you, Tammy.

Ya know, initially their "no test drive policy" rubbed me the wrong way considering I've bought exclusively from them, but this dealership has been good to me in every other regard (i.e., I am sure I could buy their car for under MSRP).

C5 VS C6

I had an 03 ZO6, It was a good ride but it just didn't have the giddy-up of
the 90 TT Callaway I sold. So sadly missing all that H.P. & Torque I ponied (pardon the expression) up the Sheckles and 15 months ago I received my 06 Z06. I couldn't find a dealer to let me test drive any of the 505 H.P. ZO6'S, so
I just bought it at a a reputable dealer that I had a good relationship with. I couldn't be happier not only with the performance and ride but the people that
approached and commented on the car. Drive it and you will see what I mean.
59-62USNVET

ADDENDUM

As an addendum to my previous thread and to comment on your request for body style preference, the styling is great and the cost difference in my opinion was well worth it. What I think that makes this a valuable car is the fact that it is a first year production of a new product. I just love it and enjoy the ride. On another note, it was a little comical that when I watched the Daytona 500 and saw that the pace car was capable of a faster speed than the race cars it just cracked me up.
59-62USNVET

Thanks for your post, USNVET!

BTW, v-yellow is a great color on the C6Z's.

Congrats on your ownership.

Yellow?

stiff:
How do you know the color of my Z?
59-62USNVET

Hi USNVET,

Do you ever hear a suspicious noise around your car at night, or find nose prints all over the driver's side window?

Well, they're not mine...

I remember your post about how the custom Hot Pink C6Z became your avatar.
:beer

Picking up my ZO6 tomorrow

Picking up my 2003 ZO6 tomorrow, I'm psyched. I've owned alot of Vettes but mostly C2 and C3 era. This baby has only 6K miles, it should be a blast!

Double your pleasure!

One word - REFINED!
I currently have both in the garage. Not by choice, I haven't focused on getting the 02 sold.

As a fresh 07 Z owner, I would say the biggest difference is refinment in the new Z. They both have their own personality, with the C5 being more edgy like a nervous street fighter and the C6 Charle Atlas in white tie and tails.

I have a very well tuned C5 that runs very strong for its 5.7, but you can tell that it has to rpm to be that. Whereas the C6 just torques everywhere. I have just started tuning on the new car and I am sure that it will get there, but right now I honestly believe that it would be a drivers race as to which car would get through the 1/4 1st. On the twisties the C6 would dominate, not on power but on braking.

I still think that the C5 is one of the best looking Vettes ever, but the C6's angularity is growing on me.;squint:

C5 and C6 Z-06s

I owned an '04 Z-06 until I bought an '07 Z-06 a month ago. I like the added power of the new one (you can definitely feel the extra 100 horsepower), but wish they hadn't gone the high-tech route with the keyless entry, push-button start and a push-button to open the doors from the inside - I don't need or want stuff like that. I didn't like the looks of the C6 at first, but it has grown on me. I do like the reduced front and rear overhang - I can get out of my driveway without dragging the front spoiler now (that was impossible with the C5). The exhaust is way too quiet - I think I'll put headers and some different mufflers on it and get rid of the funky vacuum-operated power valves on the exhaust. I like the fact that all of the drivetrain components are beefier on the C6. All-told, I am happy with the car and think it was worth the price difference. BTW, I sold my '04 myself and came out several thousand dollars better than I would have if I had traded it in.

65 HEMI

If the you want to make the exhaust louder at low R.P.M. just pull out the little green fuse under the floor mat of the passenger side. It's the one that is on the bottom right. This will leave the muffler valves open all the time and not just over 3000 R.P.M. For $100 I bought a little open/close kit that goes in place of the fuse and is operated by a small push button remote so I can have some peace on demand. Installation consists of plugging in the kit and hooking up a gnd. screw. A total of 90 seconds installation on a bad day.
59-62USNVET

Muffler Valves

Thanks for the tip. I had heard that there was a way to disconnect the muffler valves by removing a fuse. I'll give that a try. The durn thing sounds like a sewing machine running at low rpm. It needs to sound like what it is - a world-class sports car!
:lou

If you want to make the exhaust louder at low R.P.M. just pull out the little green fuse under the floor mat of the passenger side. It's the one that is on the bottom right. This will leave the muffler valves open all the time and not just over 3000 R.P.M. For $100 I bought a little open/close kit that goes in place of the fuse and is operated by a small push button remote so I can have some peace on demand. Installation consists of plugging in the kit and hooking up a gnd. screw. A total of 90 seconds installation on a bad day.
59-62USNVET

Muffler Valve Remote Switch

I bought the switch from Southern Car Parts. In stock and a couple of days shipping UPS for $99.99. I don't recall if they charged for shipping. I was very satisfied and with the touch of a button I can go from open to close without the wife complaining that she can't hear the radio.
59-62USNVET

Exhaust Switch

Thanks, I just found them on the web.

I bought the switch from Southern Car Parts. In stock and a couple of days shipping UPS for $99.99. I don't recall if they charged for shipping. I was very satisfied and with the touch of a button I can go from open to close without the wife complaining that she can't hear the radio.
59-62USNVET

I didn't own a C5Z but I've flogged one. I do own a C6Z and flog it too. I didn't see a lot of difference between the 2. They both spin their tires easily. The C6Z pulls a little longer in each gear (and harder too.)

There isn't any reason your local dealership shouldn't let you drive a base Corvette is there?

My dealership practically forced me into the driver's seat. I've never bought a car from them before so they didn't know me from Adam.

Remember: the sales staff will judge you by your appearance at first. I dressed like a bum and they STILL made me buy a Z06, damn them! They're smooth!:L

The car is a kick, though!

You know the drill...:w
I agree, they are VERY similar cars with the C6 obviously having a little more hp and being a little more civil with less noise and heated seats etc. I am not sure the C6Z is worth the premium you need to pay to upgrade but if you have it go for it.

C6 vs C5

Hi Everyone,

Local dealers won't let us drive their cars, new or used.

I am considering this trade, and would appreciate your candid feedback covering pros and cons of your decision.

Please include whether you initially liked the body style of the new C6Z or not, and in the end, if it was worth the cost difference.

Thanks in advance, everyone!!! :w
I had a 2003 ZO6 and just traded it in on a 2008 Victory Red ZO6. Although the C5 was awesome in every way, the C6 is a dream come true! It is incredicle, the look, the feel, the power, it is really something special.

Thanks for the response, Norty.

Did you buy from Weseloh? (I used to live in Olivenhain, and found them to be among the most accommodating dealerships I’ve ever visited).

You need to find a dealership that actually wants to sell a car. I went to a local dealership in mid michigan today they let me drive all three of the vettes they had on the lot by myself. A Z , a coupe and a vert. I had never been to this dealer before. 2 other dealers let me drive their vettes too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom