Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 speedo/tach removal

Don Mason

Corvette
01 Convertible & 73 Coupe
Hey Guys, I am in the middle of a project that started with the repair of my factory radio and clock. These items have been repaired and are on the way back to me. The center gauge cluster, right dash pad, top dash pad and center console are all out of the car. While I am in there I am thinking of removing the left dash pad containing the speedo and tach to service the cables that drive these units and replace the bulbs in the instruments. I know that I will have to drop the steering column. Any advice on this project? Anything special to look out for? Any tips on removal or replacement? As always, thanks for your input.

I've done my 75 a couple of times, sounds like you have most everything ready. The speedo cable sometimes won't allow the unit to pull forward too much, getting a hand in there to disconnect that will help. There's a spring clip holding it in place, press on it while pulling the dash or having someone pull on the cable from under the hood will disengage it.

The wire harness is very tight near the door and is held in place with some metal straps which can be bent out of the way, I think there's also one on top of the tach/speedo, you should see it when yo get it pulled back a little.

A/C duct work is a little challenging if you have it. Only advice there is have a couple of cold beers ready after you finish!

When I did mine, I also took out the drivers seat, so I had plenty of room to move around, lay down, etc. At least you don't have to mess with a cable tach and all the crap for the wiper door......now THATs:v a real hoot!

Take a good, close look at everything before you take it out. It all has to go back in the same way, including the routing of the dash harness around the speedo and tach.

:)

I was about to say the same on taking a close look, use a digital camera and take many pix!

When I did mine, I also took out the drivers seat, so I had plenty of room to move around, lay down, etc.
Yes, if you didn't take your seats out, DO IT! It makes moving around in there waaaay easier! It's only 4 bolts per seat. I've done mine so often that I can have them out in about 10 minutes or less.

Get yourself an extension or set of extensions on a ratchet. About 16" or so should do ya. :) I can't recall the socket size now. ½" maybe?

Thanks for the tips guys. Especially about the seats, I had wondered about them. I'll let you know how things go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom