Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

E-85 carburetor

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello everyone,

I was reading a Corvette magazine over the weekend and noticed an advertisement for a Carburetor designed for E-85 fuel.

The ad claimed that E-85 will destroy some of the parts/seals in traditional carburetors. (they want to sell their product, so of course they make that claim). I was just wondering if anyone else knew about the effect of E-85 on standard carbs or had worked with an E-85 friendly Carb.

If E-85 catches on, and is cheaper than traditional gasoline, then this is something to consider.

Thanks everyone!

Fuel systems not designed for alcohol won't last long. The seals and rubber parts are a different material. My carb guy in St. Louis says he can't get alcohol parts for certain carbs like the old Pontiac Tri-Power carbs. Even with the lower percentage of ethanol in regular pump gas he has to replace parts in these carbs in 6 months or less.

Holley and others make special alcohol carbs but mostly for racing. The carb you found may be a good carb for E85 if it's set up properly. You also need an alcohol fuel pump and stainless lines are a good idea too as alcohol is an oxydizer. A fuel tank with a bladder or a stainless tank would also be a good idea.

Tom

If E-85 catches on, and is cheaper than traditional gasoline, then this is something to consider.

Thanks everyone!

Don't hold your breath - when folks spend the money to convert the entire fuel system on older cars to accommodate the corrosive aspect of E85, then experience a 35%-40% drop in fuel economy (and range), and the car won't start in the winter, and the price stays the same as gasoline, there won't be a lot of takers.:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom