Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shift Problem

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
I am scratchin my head...

The 4 speed changes when the car is not running.. but when the car is running it will NOT change gears...

I think i may have the wrong clutch fork.. or maybe the pivot bolt...

Help..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. before the transmission has to come out..

:bash

Are you saying that if you start the car in neutral it will grind and not go into gear when it's running? Have you tried to start the car with it in 1st and the clutch depressed? Does it try to move the car when you do?

Tom

Are you saying that if you start the car in neutral it will grind and not go into gear when it's running? Have you tried to start the car with it in 1st and the clutch depressed? Does it try to move the car when you do?

Tom

The shifter moves into all positions, but it doesn't appear the clutch is engaging at all when you depress the clutch pedal .. there is no free play in the clutch pedal either.. so i am guessing i may have the wrong ball stud or clutch fork.. i ordered the correct parts and am hoping this is the problem... but before i take out the transmission.. i just wanted some advice..

Thanks.
Joe

Make sure you have the right throwout bearing (1-1/4" long) that was unique to the Corvette; passenger cars used one that was 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" long. :)

SHIFT PROBLEMS

Make sure you have the right throwout bearing (1-1/4" long) that was unique to the Corvette; passenger cars used one that was 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" long. :)

Thanks John..

I just ordered the right throwout bearing from Paragon, since it looks like there is no way to avoid taking the transmission out.. you advice will make sure i only take it out once.. so between the bearing, the fork and the stud.. i sure hope i got it covered.. this and the top are the only thing from keeping to car from getting on the road..
:beer

Where did you buy the clutch. I had major problems with a clutch supplied by NAPA.

Ray

Where did you buy the clutch. I had major problems with a clutch supplied by NAPA.

Ray

Ray I am not sure where the clutch came from.. I ordered it thru a local corvette shop.. who i am sure just ordered it from their parts supplier.. I am pretty sure it wasn't NAPA..

HOpe you got all your problems fixed ..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom