Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driving That C5 In The Snow?

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
I always like to start winter off with my annual inquiry. Are you one of those wicked brave guys that drives
his C5 in the snow? If yes...let's hear from you.
Remo:cool
HPIM2550.jpg

You're early this year, Remo. Normally, you wait until after Thanksgiving before we have to get your winter meds out.

Ah, well, the CAC pharmacy has been stocking up over the summer, and most of the meds are still within manufacturer's dates. Time to start our annual winter vigil to keep Remo away from the building ledge.
;squint:

;LOL
-Patrick

I don't think ANYONE should refer to what a C-5 does in the snow as DRIVING. Point and hope, maybe, but not driving! :boogie I know that I don't have the.....er.......stomach to attempt that! :chuckle
Andy :w

I used to drive my C-4 in the winter and a few times in the snow. Big Mistake, car handled so bad it could be considered no handling. So when I got my C-5 I swore to NEVER drinve it in the snow. If I need to drive, I'll wait till the roads are dry. or use my wifes jeep.

Yep,I drive mine!!:L:L:L Get some Real Tires,(No Run-Craps!!)and they'll go anywhere you need to go!!:thumb Third season on my Kumho ASX's!!! :D:D:D

We don't get a lotta snow in NC, but if it does, I have no choice but to put my DD through it. Fortunately, I have Mich PS ZP ASs on. I'm told they will go through light snow as good as anything else.

s'noJob

I drove this one home from Ohio, 550 miles - 100 in the snow. Thats enough snow driving to last me a life time.

2735162050039559089S425x425Q85.jpg

That is enough to scare the @#$%^&* out of me. I have driven mine in the snow (to get home from work) a few times, and it is a terrible car to drive in the snow.

most of the meds are still within manufacturer's dates

Don't discard any of the expired ones! By mid January Remo will not care how old they are :eek:hnoes:W:eek:hnoes. Keeping up with times and Christmas sales before Thanksgiving, we should not waist time and start interviewing for nurse Ratchet replacement?:thumb

Winter Driving In The Northeast

The Corvette will spend the next six months in the garage
hooked up to a battery tender. I'll spend the next six months
driving this vehicle to the post office to retrieve my winter meds.

2021652920103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

Yikes!! - Snow In North Carolina

Yep,I drive mine!!:L:L:L Get some Real Tires,(No Run-Craps!!)and they'll go anywhere you need to go!!:thumb Third season on my Kumho ASX's!!! :D:D:D

North Carolina State Weather Office

Winter-type precipitation usually occurs with southerly through easterly winds, and is seldom associated with very cold weather. Snow and sleet occur on an average once or twice a year near the coast, and not much more often over the southeastern half of the State. Such occurrences are nearly always connected with northeasterly winds, generated when a high pressure system over the interior, or northeastern United States, causes a southward flow of cold dry air down the coastline, while offshore a low pressure system brings in warmer, moist air from the North Atlantic. Farther inland, over the Mountains and western Piedmont, frozen precipitation sometimes occurs in connection with low pressure storms, and in the extreme west with cold front passages from the northwest. Average winter snowfall over the State ranges from about inch per year on the outer banks and along the lower coast to about 10 inches in the northern Piedmont and 16 inches in the southern Mountains.

Geez...I hope you guys are careful during those "big" NC snow stroms :L

That's the way you do it Remo, Park the Vette when the snow flies. I learned that with my 71 LT-1 when I couldn't move on a level drive way in 1 inch of snow. I just lock the hubs on my Ford F-150 and go. I guess if you fix vette's for a living, sure, go ahead and drive them.HeHeHe:beer

Former Corvette Powertrain Lead Engineer, Jim Minneker, tells a story about a C5 cold weather development trip he and other GM engineers took in the early 00s. This was back when Goodyear offered snow tires in the C5 sizes.

GM has a cold weather testing facility in the U.P. of MI in a place called "Kinross" where it's colder than a rat's ass in the Yukon. Not only is it cold, but the U.P. gets lots of snow.

GM would do cold weather testing C5s with four Goodyear snow tires. Minneker told me of a test trip they took one time to do some cold weather starting. One the way back from Kinross, down I-75 back to Detroit, they ran into a blizzard. With four tires, active handling and ABS, they were passing SUVs with four-wheel-drive which had to slow down. Pickups and other SUVs were stuck in ditches.

The moral of this story is that you put four real winter tires on a later C5 which has active handing, then put a driver with a little experience in the driver seat and, until the snow is so deep on the road that the car high-centers, you have a good, rear-drive winter car.

WOW - Is that a new Ford Pick-up, it doesn't look like your old beater. :cool
[/center]

L8TR - D

Three years old - can't beat a Ford pick up. Especially if the dealership is owned by one of your best friends.:)

And here's the other primary vehicle up here on snow days.:L
2236974020103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

Don't Let This Happen To You

c6-4.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom