Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Who here is running 17" tires on their C3 or earlier?

i have been thinking about a set of coys C5 style.
supposedly they fit without spacers or adapters

Huh. Mine doesn't rub. Could it be the Steeroids? My tie rods are all OEM.
The steeroids would account for inside-rear rub, but my front tire hits the sway bar on a full lock right turn, up in the air and on the ground. ;shrug

Interestingly enough, I put the wheel spacers on today and WTF, they were still rubbing at both points. At least that's what I think I remember. (I just got back from dinner and a pitcher of margarita :beer :chuckle)
Either way, I know that I'm also going to have to get longer studs because I only had about 5-7 threads with the spacer on there. *sigh*
This is turning into a very minor P.I.T.A, but oh well...:eyerole

The steeroids would account for inside-rear rub, but my front tire hits the sway bar on a full lock right turn, up in the air and on the ground.

Do you have a thicker, non OEM sway bar? I would think you'd have the same problem with the OEM tires. What size tires were you running? I wonder if you just need a 245/50 or a 245/45?

Dre- I'm really sorry you've had these problems. I never did. But, since the wheels have exactly the same backspace as the SLP Hyperblack wheels... I'm inclined to say you would have had the same problems with them. I think you have something that is just barely different between the tire, tie rods, and sway bar alignment that it is creating these problems.

Since you said it is only on a full lock right turn- not with the left turn- I'm thinking you do have an issue with that sway bar. Perhaps it has moved off to one side too far?

Dre- I'm really sorry you've had these problems. I never did. But, since the wheels have exactly the same backspace as the SLP Hyperblack wheels... I'm inclined to say you would have had the same problems with them. I think you have something that is just barely different between the tire, tie rods, and sway bar alignment that it is creating these problems.

Since you said it is only on a full lock right turn- not with the left turn- I'm thinking you do have an issue with that sway bar. Perhaps it has moved off to one side too far?
Johnny, please don't think I hold you responsible, like you gave me bad info or anything. That's not the case at all! And you are correct about the Hyperblacks.

I can discount the Steeroids as that's not OEM and there's no way for anyone to account for non-factory items on the car.
It 'tis strange though about the sway bar. I don't think it can really shift since it's bolted to each side of the suspension system. It can pivot up & down, but not slide left to right (if I'm visualizing everything correctly). So that definitely is a strange one.

What was also strange was that now that I have the .313" (5/16ths) spacer on there, that I'm still rubbing. I'm not sure now how I came to the conclusion that I only needed 1/8" - 1/4" additional clearance. ;shrug
Soooo...

I'm still gonna stick with these rims, even though I'm not 100% satisfied. But getting me 100% satisfied is outside of my current budget :L
I may stick with the universal wheel spacers I got from Summit, but I'm first gonna check with my buddy who manages a machine shop and see if he can whip me out some custom spacers that fit exactly as opposed to "universal fit". And I'll deal with the P.I.T.A. of replacing all 20 studs...just so I can fit the ****in' front driver-side wheel!!! :mad :crazy:L

I'm glad it's only April and not May or June...*sigh* :)

When I could get 245/60/15's from Goodyear I ran them. When my car would need alignment my right front would rub... Since I run 235/60/15's now, I no longer have that issue. I'm sure this couldn't apply to your situation, but I got nothin' else.

They have alignment shops in Ohio don't they?

...So today I finally popped for the 17" Torqlites and I'm gonna mate them up to Riken Raptors @ 255x50x17. I got it all from Summit Racing for $1000 (and 85¢). I get free mount & balance from a friend locally.
They should be on the car by the 2nd week in April. :D Although, not like the car will be out on the road at that time. We'll probably have snow on the ground again! ...We always get an April snow or two. Sometimes even in early May on rare occasion.

b135.jpg
2276.jpg

The Riken's are actually Michelin tires and I believe are based on their Pilot Sport tire. I guess since they are an unadvertised brand, they are super cheap (which they were at only $99 each!)

:upthumbs

All's well that ends well!

You will really like the 17s. They made my Vette feel like a C4 in C3s clothing (wolf in sheeps clothing!). Those wheels with the profile of tire you selected will give you much better handling characteristics. Between the wheels / tires, steeroids, 700R4, and your ZZ4... you'll really be happy with the car as a package.

And, since I sold my '80... you'll have the only C3 on the CAC with Torqlites.
:thumb

When I could get 245/60/15's from Goodyear I ran them. When my car would need alignment my right front would rub... They have alignment shops in Ohio don't they?
Yeah, we have alignment shops here :L. And yes, I had my car done with a specific alignment a year or two ago after having the Steeroids installed.
I will say though that your thought of alignment did give me pause to consider the following: Since I don't have the car "on the road" yet, all my checks have been done by jacking the car up, turning the wheel to full lock one side, check clearance, drop the car with the wheel still locked, check clearance, and then repeat for the wheel turned full lock to the other side. Doing it this way does introduce the very good possibility that the wheels aren't setting in their natural position. Ya know, like, when you put the car down after being in the air, the tires have an apparent negative camber to them that goes away after you move the car a couple of feet. This could be the problem and maybe when I actually let the car roll and "set" itself, I may find the contact points are alleviated. Only one way to determine that! ;shrug

And, since I sold my '80... you'll have the only C3 on the CAC with Torqlites.
Start a new thread about that. I'm sure there's plenty of people that will want to offer their condolences :( (or razzies! :SLAP) :thumb

It's not only a possibility, it definitely will not settle down w/o driving it a short distance.

I have a 1980 with American Racing 17"x8" Torq Thrust II wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RE750 255/50-17 tires installed. The wheels were purchased with the correct offset and backspacing. I don't have Steeroids installed. I have stock trailing arms. The tires have never rubbed anything except pavement even at full turn on the front.

8886Brandywine_1.jpg

I have a 1980 with American Racing 17"x8" Torq Thrust II wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RE750 255/50-17 tires installed. The wheels were purchased with the correct offset and backspacing. I don't have Steeroids installed. I have stock trailing arms. The tires have never rubbed anything except pavement even at full turn on the front.
Nice color!
Yeah, the TT-II's have the proper negative offset as well as backspacing. The Torqlites have Zero offset, hence the problem.
One is more or less the opposite of the other. Backspacing is essentially how much of the rim is behind the hub. Offset is essentially how much of the rim is on the outside/in front of the hub. A negative offset means that the hub is closer to the spindle relative to the overall width of the rim. Example: deep dish rims have a large negative offset.

Interestingly (or strangely) enough, mfg's seem to rate offset in millimeters, but backspacing in inches. ;shrug

For anyone not be able to visual this (it took me some to "get it")...
This rim has a pretty large negative offset
20070206132455_convorear.jpg

This rim has a positive offset
bAL1072.jpg

The 15" wheels are now for sale. Here's the thread I started for anyone interested. --> CLICK!

Yep, I like the 17's better. I do like the original 15's on most all of the C3's as well.
You car will handle better now.

I have 245/45/zr17s on mine right now has been that way for 6 years and the ride is pretty good, really not much different then when I still had the stock rims on. My set up is 17x8 TTII's and Firestone Firehawks works well for me.

John D.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom