Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

02 Z Throwing Codes

B

blazer427X3

Hi All,

About three weeks ago, I bought an 02 Z06. I've really been enjoying the car but last week I had some electrical weirdness occur and I'm trying to figure it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated here.

Heres how its unfolded so far ...

Noticed that the DIC showed voltage around 11.9 to 12.6 when running and I had gotten a Service Engine message on the DIC, I took the car to Autozone and had them put it on their tester. I was told that my battery was bad. After replacing it I had it rechecked and was told that my alternator wasn't putting out enough charge so I replaced it also. Prior to doing the battery I checked codes and found U2282H, U2284H, U1016H, U1064H, U2283H, U2285H, U10654H.

I cleared the codes, replaced the battery and alternator and up until yesterday got no codes or messages on the DIC.

Yesterday I was driving in traffic and made a right turn at an intersection. Moments later I got a Service Active Handling Message and the A.H. symbol lit up on my cluster. When I got home I checked and got a C1228H code. I cleared the code, let the car sit for a bit, restarted it and when I backed out of the driveway I got the A.H. message/code again. I turned the key off, restarted the car and the A.H. symbol on the cluster did not come back on. I drove around a bit and did a few more shut off and restarts with no repeat of the A.H. message. When I got home I checked codes again and got the C1228H code along with a U1160H.

I've checked connections at the battery to make sure they are tight enough, I dont see any corrosion at the ground studs in the engine bay. I haven't pulled the connectors apart at two grounds farthest forward yet but external inspection doesnt show any crud, funk, dirt or moisture around those areas. I am about to go out and take another test drive to see if I get the codes again.

Is there anything else I should be checking or has anyone had this happen to them and found a solution ?

Thanks,

B

I tend to believe that all those codes ending in an "H" are not the problem. The ones that are of concern would have a "C" after them meaning they are current codes. I know one thing for sure -- there are people on this site that are very knowledgeable and will most likely respond to your post.

Hi All,

About three weeks ago, I bought an 02 Z06. I've really been enjoying the car but last week I had some electrical weirdness occur and I'm trying to figure it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated here.

Heres how its unfolded so far ...

Noticed that the DIC showed voltage around 11.9 to 12.6 when running and I had gotten a Service Engine message on the DIC, I took the car to Autozone and had them put it on their tester. I was told that my battery was bad. After replacing it I had it rechecked and was told that my alternator wasn't putting out enough charge so I replaced it also. Prior to doing the battery I checked codes and found U2282H, U2284H, U1016H, U1064H, U2283H, U2285H, U10654H.

I cleared the codes, replaced the battery and alternator and up until yesterday got no codes or messages on the DIC.

Yesterday I was driving in traffic and made a right turn at an intersection. Moments later I got a Service Active Handling Message and the A.H. symbol lit up on my cluster. When I got home I checked and got a C1228H code. I cleared the code, let the car sit for a bit, restarted it and when I backed out of the driveway I got the A.H. message/code again. I turned the key off, restarted the car and the A.H. symbol on the cluster did not come back on. I drove around a bit and did a few more shut off and restarts with no repeat of the A.H. message. When I got home I checked codes again and got the C1228H code along with a U1160H.

I've checked connections at the battery to make sure they are tight enough, I dont see any corrosion at the ground studs in the engine bay. I haven't pulled the connectors apart at two grounds farthest forward yet but external inspection doesnt show any crud, funk, dirt or moisture around those areas. I am about to go out and take another test drive to see if I get the codes again.

Is there anything else I should be checking or has anyone had this happen to them and found a solution ?

Thanks,

B
I believe you have a ground issue!!:thumbCheck the grounds,take them apart and clean them,ALL of them!!Especially the ground studs on the frame and engine block!!:thumb:thumb:thumb Just because they look OK by the eye,Don't mean they are!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
The biggest electrical problems I find on these cars are caused by the Grounds!!:beer

Thanks for the replies and Thank You gmjunkie for the suggestion. :thumb I will take your advice and clean each ground starting from the front and working back. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks for the replies and Thank You gmjunkie for the suggestion. :thumb I will take your advice and clean each ground starting from the front and working back. I will let you know what I find.
No Problem!!:thumb

attachment.php

Thanks for the diagram gmjunkie ! :thumb

Yesterdays test drive resulted in no codes but a new symptom. When I lock the doors using the fob, the passenger side locks but the drivers side door didn't. The alarm goes off when the drivers side door is opened. Although the car doesn't leak any water inside when I wash it I wonder if this is a hint as to where the ground fault might be located. I'm still starting with the grounds located in the engine bay and working to the rear. I'll test the drivers door/lock/alarm issue after each ground has been cleaned. I've got one done already and found a very small amount of green corrosion on the pins at G101. Waiting for the neigborhood to wake up before testing to see if it affects the door lock.

Should I use some type of dielectric grease in the connectors after cleaning before reassembly ? If so is there a recommended brand to use ?

Thanks for the diagram gmjunkie ! :thumb

Yesterdays test drive resulted in no codes but a new symptom. When I lock the doors using the fob, the passenger side locks but the drivers side door didn't. The alarm goes off when the drivers side door is opened. Although the car doesn't leak any water inside when I wash it I wonder if this is a hint as to where the ground fault might be located. I'm still starting with the grounds located in the engine bay and working to the rear. I'll test the drivers door/lock/alarm issue after each ground has been cleaned. I've got one done already and found a very small amount of green corrosion on the pins at G101. Waiting for the neigborhood to wake up before testing to see if it affects the door lock.

Should I use some type of dielectric grease in the connectors after cleaning before reassembly ? If so is there a recommended brand to use ?
I don't even bother testing anything till I know that All Grounds are clean!!:thumbThese cars have so many grounds that any one of them can be the problem or even more than one!!:thumb:thumb Then I spray them with BoeShield T9 Boeshield

BAD GROUNDS make electronics do weird things!!

This usually fixes the problem,but if not I start looking at other connections on the power side and on components!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Problem/s Solved

YES !!!! After cleaning the 201 & 202 grounds my door lock gremlin is gone ! I think the engine bay grounds were responsible for the other codes I was getting as they have not re-appeared since cleaning them. Your diagnosis was correct gmjunkie. Thanks Very Much :thumb

B

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom