Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1/4 Mile times for the LT1 (92-96)

EmsFather

Corvette
1993 Quasar Metallic Blue LT1 Coupe
Out of curiosity I wanted to find out what a stock 93 LT1 six speed with a set of 3.07 gears out back would do. I found several different results. The most intriguing one said 15.1. I found, on the opposite end of the spectrum, 13.56. I raced my friend's C5 convertible and whipped him easily. Has anyone taken their LT1 down the track and found out what it could really do? Magazine articles seem to be all over the place about it so I figured I would ask people that really are in the know. My 69 was a very low 13 second car and my 93 feels just a wee bit slower but what do I know?

Bob

A guy at Atlanta Drag way knocks down 13:60's all day long with street radials and a 6 speed. He's banging gears HARD though.

I typically see low 14's in stock high geared auto C4 vettes at the track.

1995 stock 1/4 mile

My first time ever down the quarter was several years ago in my 1995 convertible. This was at Miss Gulfport Dragway. It was summer so the temperature was in the 90's. The car was completely stock including paper air filter, street tires, spare tire, and jack. It had about 45k miles on it at the time. It is an automatic 4spd with the optional 3.07 rear. My best time of the day was a 13.502 at 103 mph. Not bad for a rookie driver in hot weather with a bad 60'. I started modding shortly after so I don't know how much I could have improved.​

:beer

My first time ever down the quarter was several years ago in my 1995 convertible. This was at Miss Gulfport Dragway. It was summer so the temperature was in the 90's. The car was completely stock including paper air filter, street tires, spare tire, and jack. It had about 45k miles on it at the time. It is an automatic 4spd with the optional 3.07 rear. My best time of the day was a 13.502 at 103 mph. Not bad for a rookie driver in hot weather with a bad 60'. I started modding shortly after so I don't know how much I could have improved.​

:beer

So I have to ask ... with all those mods how fast are you going now? :chuckle

I had a bone stock ’94 LT1 six-speed coupe that would run 13.6 @ 103 all day long.
Magazine times tend to be a few tenths and a mile per hour or two slower than what I’ve always run.

My ’96 (LT4) is bone stock as well and runs 13.2 @ 107 without breaking a sweat.

B17Crew
:w

Are you sure that you have 3.07 gears in your 6 speed? I thought that 3.45 or 3.33 something like that were standard gears for the 6 speed cars.

Are you sure that you have 3.07 gears in your 6 speed? I thought that 3.45 or 3.33 something like that were standard gears for the 6 speed cars.

My Lt-1 has 3:45's. I'm not sure if those gears are standard though.

My 95 6 speed ran 13.8 @ 103 on street tires with lousy launches. I believe it had a 3.45 rear gear. MY 95 auto with 2.59 gears runs 14.4 @ 98 on street tires. It bogs off the line with that gear set.

Yo, SK! Wondering where your post went?
You hit the "Report Post" instead of "Reply"...:L

SPD KILZ said:
I know this is prolly an old topic now, but if you happen to get this, about where on the tach are you launching? I plan on taking my 93' 6spd coupe to the track soon and would like to know just how to launch these cars perfectly. Are you simply holding at an rpm and then just dumping the clutch while feathering the gas untill you get traction, or is there more play to it than that?

Right now I could do a lot better, and am getting to much wheelspin. However if I try it differently, it doesn't really "launch".

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I haven't drag raced enough to develop a consistent launch, and I've done it on street tires. On the other hand, I autocross on sticky autocross tires, but on varied surfaces. I have tried two techniques. One is to bring engine speed up to a specific rpm (2500?) and drop the clutch and roll into the throttle as the clutch is engaging. I was inconsistent, alternating excess wheelspin and bogging down, depending on the surface and my technique. The other involves intentional clutch slippage, which always seems like the expensive option, still subject to human error for a good launch. However, perfect launch is not so important with autocross, because the start light is a ways from the staging point, and there is usually a turn involved.

Now with my 2:59 rear and and automatic, I just torque it up on the brakes, and launch, but it bogs badly anyway. I expect to change that this winter with an alternate gear set.

I concur with the 103 mph trap speed for a stock LT1 coupe of those years on street tires. The ET will depend a lot on launch technique and quality of the tires and the strip, but think mid to high 13's is realistic.

I also concur with the 3.4x as the stock gearing. I can't imagine a 6 speed with 3.07s. You could never use 6th and very seldom be able to use 5th. That would be like having a 4 speed.

Perry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom