Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

10 Reasons not to buy a big block Corvette

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1

10 Reasons not to buy a big block Corvette

1. Expensive. All that exclusivity comes at a price. Doesn't matter, parts or service. Basically, the price goes up any time the word “Vette” is uttered.(That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  2. Vacuum System. A notorious problem associated with C3s, winking headlights are just part of the symptoms. It’s not easy to trace leaks (in cabin or engine bay) and the whole car seemingly has to come apart to work on it. Honestly, this was state of the art for GM back in the late ‘60s? (That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  3. Exhaust clearance. Unless your C3 has side-pipe exhaust installed, then you know what we’re talking about. Exhaust pipes snake through holes in the frame crossmember, and are held by a support that’s bolted to the rear of the transmission. Out back, the pipes have to curve under the differential, only inches from the ground. (That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  4. Transmission removal. Brutal. Absolutely the hardest tranny R & R ever encountered. At least cars equipped with TH400 automatics have a removal crossmember to somewhat assist. Either way, access to the bellhousing bolts (especially the ones at 10- and 2-positions) are the least of the problem. The starter and full exhaust system must be completely removed just to get started. (That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  5. Brakes. Special rotors riveted to the hubs that must have zero run-out. Add to that the need for stainless steel sleeves in the calipers to help correct factory air bleeding issues. It’s all technical jargon to someone who’s done countless brake jobs on Chevelles and Camaros, but it's more specialty parts not found in any other GM car of the era. (That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  6. Heater core replacement. The saying goes that GM built these fiberglass beauties around the heater core. It’s true. Big block combined with Air Conditioning makes for a month-long ordeal. The dash, seats, console - everything has to come apart. (That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  7. IRS (Independent Rear Suspension). Cool feature that gives a nimble ride… when everything is brand-spanking new. Not to get too technical (already approaching that), but everything associated with the rear gets complicated in a hurry. Strut rods, half-shafts and lower control arms, along with disk brakes. And to get a 4-wheel alignment (again, more expensive), everything has to be in spec. (That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  8. Power Steering Pump and hoses. What a pain. You have to get under the car, then how do you adjust the tension on the belt? At least the alternator belt can be leveraged into place from above. Speaking of the alternator, it is intrinsically linked to the PS, as the pump’s dual-groove pulley runs the recharging system. Even checking and/or filling the fluid is an adventure, the reservoir being nearly hidden. (That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  9. Missing seats. 2-seaters are sporty and full of sex appeal, but a Corvette’s space is limited, literally. Those used to cruising around with the family in tow (think mid-size Chevelle or even pony car Camaro) will have a hard time accommodating all requests for rides. You can only pick one passenger, so it’s either the wife or the kid. You decide who gets mad. (That has nothing to do with a Big Block...Disagree!)
  10. Mileage. Want to drive a ton? Then you’ll have to pay to play. It’s hard not to love that torque and sound of freedom from the tailpipes. But when it comes to big blocks, any 396-427-454 will come with a MPG penalty versus a small block car. Think of big blocks as the ‘60s era gas-guzzler tax. (Finally, one I agree on...kinda!)

Who wrote this! What a bogus article! This person does not have a clue about Corvettes, the engines, and what difference it makes. Whomever you are, get some knowledge first ok??? If it's their first time writing an article, it failed miserably and is an embarrassment to them!!!

Chuck M

Last edited:

That idiot has to be certifiably insane or just doesn't like Corvette's and didn't have the balls to admit it. Heck, every one of those reasons Chuck also commented on has nothing to do with a big block engine, and besides..... it's all WHY one craves for a big block Corvette. It also seems the idiot has missed the point that the average person with tools and some mechanical ability can actually work on repairing those C3's. Try taking a crack at repairing any of that stuff on a C5-C7 now? You used to have bragging rights from the scraped knuckles after successfully fixing a problem. As much as I love my C5..... I do actually miss getting under the hood and just wrenching on just about anything I needed to. And when I had my '72 and sold my '81 last year, I NEVER had my headlights stick up or down......ever!

Just say'n................ nut :D

Last edited:
The only missing . . . .

Is H.E.A.T ! As if the C3 platform needed another major popularity hit after being rust magnets, is heat from that hulking big block. I rode back from Corvette @Carlisle once and I asked to be left off at King of Prussia. Took Septa bus home from there that year. It was 100 degrees outside and inside his coupe it must of been 120 degrees. I figured I was better off on air conditioned bus, even if it wasn't taking me anywhere near home. I'd just keep riding around till the sun went down ? :ugh

Is H.E.A.T ! As if the C3 platform needed another major popularity hit after being rust magnets, is heat from that hulking big block. I rode back from Corvette @Carlisle once and I asked to be left off at King of Prussia. Took Septa bus home from there that year. It was 100 degrees outside and inside his coupe it must of been 120 degrees. I figured I was better off on air conditioned bus, even if it wasn't taking me anywhere near home. I'd just keep riding around till the sun went down ? :ugh

But even that has nothing to do with a big block. They all roast you out of the car. Maybe the Big Block has a slight edge, but I've owned a bunch of the C3's and they ALL have that.

Chuck M

But even that has nothing to do with a big block. They all roast you out of the car. Maybe the Big Block has a slight edge, but I've owned a bunch of the C3's and they ALL have that.

Chuck M

The heat through the floorboards is part of the ambiance of a C3. Heck, if my AC just countered the heat from the engine I was thrilled. hahahaha

.......... nut :D

I had a 71 454......4speed....365 HP....out of the 10 Vettes I have owned I would choose my 2010 GS #1 and the Big Block #2. If I could find another one within reason someday I would own it......it was a fun car....

I'm willing to bet the author would not know a big block one if he saw one. His ten points are not limited to big block cars.
:thumb

Heck, his list didn't even narrow it down to C3s. ;LOL A lot of what he said could have been describing C2s or C4s as well. (I can't speak to C1s, but maybe them too). He's a freaking idiot. ;)

Mike you're right, I doubt he'd know a big block if it ran over him.

Heck, his list didn't even narrow it down to C3s. ;LOL A lot of what he said could have been describing C2s or C4s as well. (I can't speak to C1s, but maybe them too). He's a freaking idiot. ;)

Mike you're right, I doubt he'd know a big block if it ran over him.

I agree fully, Tom. If he really wants a nightmare car to work on/complain about, he should look at my old '75 Jaguar XJ12C. Makes C3 big blocks look easy.

Yes, My "beast" is hotter than heck in the summer.
I totally disconnected my heater. I have hooker headers with side pipes, big block and motion hood scoop that is open in the front and the rear of it. So I get all the hot air from under the hood getting sucked down into the windshield well and into the fresh air vents.
I also made the mistake of not putting insulation under the carpet.
Your feet are always hot. the only thing that gives any relief is having the T-Tops off.
BUT... I LOVE DRIVING IT !!!!!!!!!!!
Joe

All hell, lets make it 11 reasons not to buy a big block Corvette

Sure thought I could come up with one more reason but the best I can do is THERE IS NONE LEFT ? Which leaves me feeling pretty pleased I hung onto my 66 427/450 all these years. I can still look fondly at the pieces where I accumulated all the scars over the years and remember the language I learned in the process. Getting in on a hot Las Vegas summer day, used to think maybe this is what the Nazi prisoners who got caged in those metal sheds must have felt like. But as the clock quickly climbs to a 120 or so, I know our guys would have volunteered for the metal sheds if they felt this good. You know the more I dwell on it, Rob is just plain wrong. There are no reasons why not to buy a big block Corvette.

BTW Did you know that after leaving the city limits the Nevada speed limit signs used to read "RESUME SAFE SPEED". So how about slipping up along side the Highway Patrol in one of their Dodges at a 120 and give em a holler with the infamous ad "HEA, YOU GOT A HEMI IN THAT?" Sorry, I reminisce, besides I wasn't clever enough to come up with that slogan on my own

If hotmtrsports copied the list verbatim, then it's absolutely ridiculous! It's so ridiculous that I don't even want to click on the link to increase that website's page views. That being said, did it specify which year of the big block? Not that it really matters, as was pointed out, all but the last item are baseless criticisms.
It seems almost like intentional troll bait to write an article like that because for a website, web traffic is web traffic, regardless if it's due to good publicity or bad publicity...especially if we say "there is no such thing as bad publicity."

If hotmtrsports copied the list verbatim, then it's absolutely ridiculous! It's so ridiculous that I don't even want to click on the link to increase that website's page views. That being said, did it specify which year of the big block? Not that it really matters, as was pointed out, all but the last item are baseless criticisms.
It seems almost like intentional troll bait to write an article like that because for a website, web traffic is web traffic, regardless if it's due to good publicity or bad publicity...especially if we say "there is no such thing as bad publicity."

cut and paste...the red being my comments.

It's so annoying to me that somebody could be so misinformed and yet still think they are so smart???

(Oh wait, the news media does that all the time don't they?) :L;LOL:rotfl

Chuck M

Even money the person that wrote the original article went for a ride in, or drove a BB Vette and had the c**p scared out of them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom