Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

160 Thermostat

Yes they do program them to run hot. My original fans turned on a 228 also. And I too felt uncomfortable with that high of a temp. Most Vette houses will tell you not to worry about it, but I do!
My '85 only has 44K on it now, 37K when I bought it back in August. It never did get that hot though. It rarely got up high enough to turn on the fans except under very hot conditions. But I still feel better about seeing those fans come on at 207 instead of 228.
Penetrating oil does not seem to work on those bolts. The one on the left most side of the housing goes down into the water jacket so even though my car only has 44K on it the car is still 17 years old. :) So I guess that bolt has been sitting there in water for 17 years.
My plan is to remove the plenum so I can get an impact wrench on it. If that fails I guess it will be time to remove the intake manifold and take it to a machine shop to complete the job. None of my quick and easy tricks worked, i.e., penetrating oil, pipe extension on the socket, etc. Not wanting to break off the bolt I decided on the greater side of valor and not remove it. :) So far the original stat temp (whatever that is) seems to be working. My fans go on at 207 and off at about 187 (by the dash gauge) and that seems to work okay. Probably during August the fans will be on a good part of the time though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom