Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

160mph speedo replacement for 85mph unit

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
Has anyone had this conversion done? Has anyone actually gauged the accuracy at both ends of the spectrum? I hear they are less accurate at lower speeds. What's the take on these units? I'm going to send mine in for a replacement and just wanted some opinions so I know what I'm in for.

The officers just don't buy it when I tell them I couldn't have been going more than 85mph because that's what my speedo shows...

Evolution1980 said:
Has anyone had this conversion done? ... . ..The officers just don't buy it when I tell them I couldn't have been going more than 85mph because that's what my speedo shows...

Evolution1980,
I didn't know they could be converted. The major aftermarket Corvette suppliers e.g. Corvtte Central, Eklers, MidAmerica etc. used to sell a 160 speedo, but I haven't seen any in their literature for a couple of years now. Occasionally one pops up on Ebay, I was curious if the '78 140 mph would fit and be accurate? I would think it would have to be same transmission and rear end ratio or change out the gear ratio in the transmission.

Where are you planning to send you speedo for the conversion, I would be interested too. Good Luck and keep us posted, hopefully someone has done this already and can shed some light on this ;)

I know that Corvette Central (and I thought Eckler's) user to do it. But, like yourself, I haven't seen it in the newest catalogs. I have yet to receive one from Corvette Central. Since they moved their HQ last year (or publisher or something), I've asked and asked since LAST spring for them to send me out a new catalog. I figure after all the money I've dropped there, they'd hunt one down and get it to me. Nope... So for now, I'm only dealing with Eckler's. I'm going to be calling them in the next couple of days...hoping they still do the conversion or can point me in the right direction.

As for the 140mph, I already know that won't be fast enough for my car as I've already been clocked over 140:_rock I max around 150, so the 160mph would be a perfect fit.

Actually you can buy both the 140 and 165 units still, lots of times things go missing from the catalogs but are still in stock. There is a company somewhere that does conversions but with the last computer malfunction I lost all my links.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom