Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

17 X 11 Rears for 90 - Tire Advice

Do you have a shot directly from behind so I can see how much they stick out?
Dawn

I changed my mind

I want the MEATS on the back. Steve, when I go to do that modification I'll probably get with you so you can help me when the time comes. I'll just have to deal with them slighly sticking out for the short term until I get my IROC and 81 back on the road and then I'll do that modification to make them align right. How much did that cost you to buy the different spindles and have the machine work done?

I want the MEATS on the back. Steve, when I go to do that modification I'll probably get with you so you can help me when the time comes. I'll just have to deal with them slightly sticking out for the short term until I get my IROC and 81 back on the road and then I'll do that modification to make them align right. How much did that cost you to buy the different spindles and have the machine work done?

I have my car lowered about 1 inch and the 315's on the 11 inch wheel with a 50 mm offset just barley clear the inner fender panel.

On my car moving the wheel in to get it tucked under the fender would result in rubbing on the inside of the fender.
I would do some checking for fit before i started machining on parts.
From what I see on my car the choice is stick out slightly or rub on the inside
I guess you could cut the inner panel if you don't mind butchering your car.

GOOD LUCK ON WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE

I have my car lowered about 1 inch and the 315's on the 11 inch wheel with a 50 mm offset just barley clear the inner fender panel.

On my car moving the wheel in to get it tucked under the fender would result in rubbing on the inside of the fender.
I would do some checking for fit before i started machining on parts.
From what I see on my car the choice is stick out slightly or rub on the inside
I guess you could cut the inner panel if you don't mind butchering your car.

GOOD LUCK ON WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE

Yeah, I noticed that. See, your car is black which I think perceptibly doesn't make it as obvious they stick out. My car is white... white with the black tires will make it look worse on my car. HOWEVER, I am putting the larger rear spoiler on the back (only because the holes were already drilled when I bought the car) so with that spoiler and the tires it might actually look OK. Its too late now - I already ordered the tires so I'm committed!! I'll post pics once I get them all mounted up. :)

Yeah, I noticed that. See, your car is black which I think perceptibly doesn't make it as obvious they stick out. My car is white... white with the black tires will make it look worse on my car. HOWEVER, I am putting the larger rear spoiler on the back (only because the holes were already drilled when I bought the car) so with that spoiler and the tires it might actually look OK. Its too late now - I already ordered the tires so I'm committed!! I'll post pics once I get them all mounted up. :)

The BFG-KD tire is flush at the tread only the side wall is beyond the fender.
I took mine to 15 shows last year and won at every show and 4 where Best of Show Awards so I guess it don't look all that bad.
The reason that I went with the KD instead of something else is that I'm putting 1038 HP to the rear wheels and with Goodyear's on it driving the car was like driving in the rain when I was on dry pavement..:mad
Tires have different tread width for the same size what brand did you buy.

I want the MEATS on the back. Steve, when I go to do that modification I'll probably get with you so you can help me when the time comes. I'll just have to deal with them slighly sticking out for the short term until I get my IROC and 81 back on the road and then I'll do that modification to make them align right. How much did that cost you to buy the different spindles and have the machine work done?
The BFG KD is the tire I chose, as it was the best tire affordable at the time. Now, a couple things will make it rub in the inner fender. ALignment is one. If you do an aggressive autocross alignment say from VB&P website, you wold touch when really hitting the track hard, or going over bad speed bumps at speed. I have the VB&P aggressive street alignment (.75 negative camber in rear), and I weigh 185 lbs, and with factory FE1 springs, factory bilsteins and rear fenders at 26 3/4 inch ride (measured at center cap to center of fender from ground) and I dont rub at all. I do drive aggressively too.
I did run with 28 inch tall slicks :), but that was a different tire than the factory 25.6 inch tall.
The Sumitommos are the skinniest tire in 315's. It is measured at a different point than BFG and Good Years Eagle F1, which are a wider tire. Same numbers just wider.
Now to answer your questions. The machine shop charged 40 bucks. Spindles were about 50 bucks, and very easy to find on Ebay etc. I chose 87's. And having the ABS pressed on and off was 20 bucks. I live in Hawaii, so that is probably a higher price than most.
The modifications to the knuckle was done patiently with a dremel, and took me about 2-3 hours milking it. It is kinda scarry doing it yourself, but GM did it with a fancier machine I am sure to get the angle cut to allow the Wheel Bearing to fit further in. Quite a few people have done this mod, three here in Hawaii, and everyone loves it.
I have many pictures and will help when the time comes for you to do this.

COOL!!! I just got confirmation the tires are en route so I'll likely be putting them on next weekend. :) I'll definitely post pics so everyone can see and thank you Steve! Your help will be much appreciated. I won't get a chance to get to that until after the PhD is done but I should be finished by July and plan on playing ALL MONTH LONG with car stuff. :)

DID YOU PUT THE WHEELS AND TIRES ON YET?I JUST ORDERED THEM FOR MY 89 VETTELATER STEVE

No......... these beautiful huge tires are sitting in my living room right now and I can't put them on or do any car tinkering this weekend because I have to prepare for a colloquium talk on Monday in Phoenix that I was invited too..........:ugh :duh I'm very bummed actually............. Next weekend though... for sure!

No......... these beautiful huge tires are sitting in my living room right now and I can't put them on or do any car tinkering this weekend because I have to prepare for a colloquium talk on Monday in Phoenix that I was invited too..........:ugh :duh I'm very bummed actually............. Next weekend though... for sure!
What brand did you buy.

zr1 wheels

i purchased sumitomo tires 315/35/zr17 rear
front 275/40/zr17
zr1 chrome wheels 17x9.5+56mm front
17x11 rear +50 mm
all monted and balanced for $1233 shipped should have them in 2 weeks

i purchased sumitomo tires 315/35/zr17 rear
front 275/40/zr17
zr1 chrome wheels 17x9.5+56mm front
17x11 rear +50 mm
all monted and balanced for $1233 shipped should have them in 2 weeks
WIth these tires, you wont need to narrow. You will fit fine, as they are narrower than BFG KD's and Eagle FI GS-D3. Summitomos measure at a different point on the tire, so it is actually about a 295. BFG measures from tread, and I think Summitomos are from the edge, where the bulge is (writing on the tire)

zr1 whhels /tires

my vette only has 37,000 miles on it and this will be the 3rd set of tires the ones on now are 12 years old and i'm sliding all over the place my vette only gets about 500 miles a year on it the sumitmo's should be ok for me

my vette only has 37,000 miles on it and this will be the 3rd set of tires the ones on now are 12 years old and i'm sliding all over the place my vette only gets about 500 miles a year on it the sumitmo's should be ok for me
5 years is about the life of a normal High Performance tire, as the rubber just gets old. The dates are encoded on the side of the tire.

5 years is about the life of a normal High Performance tire, as the rubber just gets old. The dates are encoded on the side of the tire.

Yep. The tires I just replaced (Falkeins) had plenty of tread left, but they were hard as a rock and not very grippy.

zr1 wheels/tires

i had head gaskets replaced last year so i'm hoping this year i will put some miles on it when i do tires and wheels i'll try to post pics later steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom