Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1954 Built Date and Engine Block Dates

marshall smith

Corvette
1954, 1961, 1963, 1964 & 1966
[FONT=&quot] I own a 1954 Corvette that is very original and was once owned by Ed Thiebaud. I have had this car for a little over 25 years and am trying to determine just how original it is.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The serial # is E54S002133 and the date on the block is D124 (assuming April 14, 1954), [/FONT][FONT=&quot]casting #: 3835911,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] engine number on pad above starter is 0515313F54YG. Almost all parts on the car are dated February or March so I know the head and parts connected to the motor appear to be correct for a 1954 car, as is the power-glide trans and rear.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Can anyone help me from the VIN of the car (E54S002133) when it was built (I am guessing 3rd week of April)? I have looked at a number of tech books and seems to be very little info on 54s.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]And roughly from the engine number which is 0515313F54YG (casting #: 3835911) whether it is correct? Is the built number embedded in this number?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any help, guidance or direction would be very much appreciated.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I own a 1954 Corvette that is very original and was once owned by Ed Thiebaud. I have had this car for a little over 25 years and am trying to determine just how original it is.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The serial # is E54S002133 and the date on the block is D124 (assuming April 14, 1954), [/FONT][FONT=&quot]casting #: 3835911,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] engine number on pad above starter is 0515313F54YG. Almost all parts on the car are dated February or March so I know the head and parts connected to the motor appear to be correct for a 1954 car, as is the power-glide trans and rear. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Can anyone help me from the VIN of the car (E54S002133) when it was built (I am guessing 3rd week of April)? I have looked at a number of tech books and seems to be very little info on 54s.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]And roughly from the engine number which is 0515313F54YG (casting #: 3835911) whether it is correct? Is the built number embedded in this number?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any help, guidance or direction would be very much appreciated.[/FONT]

The NCRS "Birthday Book" shows the production date for '54 #2133 as May 26, 1954.

The engine pad stamp and "YG" suffix appears correct; there's no build number embedded in the pad stamp - that was an internal engine serial number from the Flint Motor Plant that built all the L-6 engines.

Sounds like a neat '54!

:beer

Thank you John

I have been an NCRS member since 1986 and thought I had just about every Corvette book on C1 & C2s.

I really appreciate your follow-up and help.

1954 Corvette engine number

I'm trying to tell if I have the original motor block in my 1954 Corvette. The block sequence number is LAQ3I6530. The research I did said that “LAQ” indicates a 1953 “High-Pressure 235 Blue Flame” motor for a Powerglide Transmission, which was built in Tonawanda, NY.

My Corvette VIN is E54S0017xx, which means it was born early in the 1954 production year. Could the motor have been left-over from the previous 1953 production year?

Notes:
  • My head numbers and water pump numbers are correct for the 1954 Corvette.
  • I read that the engine numbering changed in mid 1954 to the “YG” type.

I'm trying to tell if I have the original motor block in my 1954 Corvette. The block sequence number is LAQ3I6530. The research I did said that “LAQ” indicates a 1953 “High-Pressure 235 Blue Flame” motor for a Powerglide Transmission, which was built in Tonawanda, NY.

My Corvette VIN is E54S0017xx, which means it was born early in the 1954 production year. Could the motor have been left-over from the previous 1953 production year?

Notes:
  • My head numbers and water pump numbers are correct for the 1954 Corvette.
  • I read that the engine numbering changed in mid 1954 to the “YG” type.

I'll defer to one of the '54 experts when one chimes in, but it's my understanding that ALL '54 Corvette engines were suffixed with "F54YG", AND they were all built at the Flint Motor Plant (thus the "F" in the suffix), NOT at Tonawanda.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom