Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1960 steering column

JACEM60

Corvette
1960 CORVETTE
I'm restoring a 1960 corvette. I wanted to add power steering and power brakes with a subframe for my suspension. It appears that I have to modify my steering column in order to retain my original steering wheel. Since everything is stock, I don't want to mess with my steering column and the original steering wheel is a must. What options do I have available to me besides forgetting about the subframe and rebuilding my original suspension? Greatly appreciate any feedback!

This electric power steering is about the slickest setup I've seen and it is hard to tell it's even there without looking under the dash. Not visible at all under the hood. Watch the video.

Power Steering

This electric power steering is about the slickest setup I've seen and it is hard to tell it's even there without looking under the dash. Not visible at all under the hood. Watch the video.
Power Steering
Looks great, but I don't want to alter my original steering column. Is there any way to add power steering and a subframe for suspension without altering the original steering column?

I don't think so. Most I've seen use a rack and pinion. The Jim Meyer Racing front suspension conversion is the closest to a bolt in available but it doesn't keep the original steering either. I haven't seen any conversion to a rack using the original column. That electric unit would still keep the original column jacket in the engine compartment retaining your original VIN plate position.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom