Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1961 serial number plate

harland

Corvette
1961 fawn beige convertible
I acquired an excellent stainless reproduction number plate from AG Backeast in Grand Junction, CO recently. Not cheap at $195. but there isn't another source. I know this tag goes on the steering column, but would appreciate an exact location so we can JB weld it on-or whatever better adheasive might work better. This plate has the reverse dimples that replicate the spot welds (I assume). I wonder also if I should gently 'radius' the tag on something similar to the steering column size as I suspect the original tags had exposed points --a flat plate on a curved surface. Finally, it is beautiful and shiny, but I suspect it may look 'too nice' and wonder if anyone might suggest a way to add some 'patina' to the plate so it doesn't look so obviously new? thanks, Harland

My 45 year old tag on my 60 looked just like the day it was new. I don't think that any "aging" of the tag is necessary. There was really no effort to match the curve of the column, just the spot welds to the column. The edges of the tag really stuck out from the column.
AG backeast does some really nice work, my 59 has one of his tags on it now. My original tag was almost corroded away from sitting in the bottom of a box that got wet many times over the 25 years that the car was apart.

Regards, John McGraw

61 Vin tag

Thanks for the reply-so where should I glue the plate--even a real close approximation should work- I suspect the workers put it in slightly different spots when they were installing them. thanks, Harland

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom