Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1965 Coupe Purchase ??

61 Silver

Corvette
1961 270HP and 1963 340HP
I looked at a 1965 Coupe today that will be sold to settle an estate. The lawyer has recommend that the car be sold through a closed bid sale. The person that bids the highest price will be the buyer.

I thought it might be fun to to have the forum members provide me with what they think would be a fare bid for the 65. I told the seller that I would provide a bid by Tuesday, 18th.

Information:
The interior is black vinyl STD
The exterior code X - X for Yellow

Engine: matching number 300hp engine with the correct stampings. The only question I have with the pad is a large A between the serial number and the assembly number. I seen a pad like this when judging a 1962 and I believe the letter represented a rebuild of the engine. The intake is for a 1966 350HP with a Holley carburetor. There is no radio shielding. Casting date: F 26 5 The fan shroud is fiberglass not steel.

Transmission: Muncie 4-speed, but I could not see if it is the correct one for the 65.

Incorrect 66 cast grill

Headlights do move , but not very well.

Interior is missing the roof liner (the seller told me that it was in the loft of the barn, but said he could not show it to me at this time and some of the rim. There has been leaks around the windshield with a temporary fix of silicone. the seat belts will need to be restored or replaced. Passenger seat has a split seam in the bottom cover. All the guages and other components seem to be with car.

No front bumpers. Rear bumpers will need to be re-chromed, but are solid.

Frame has minor rust problems just prior to the kick-ups on the left and right side. The molding was removed form the inside of the windshield and the birdcage seemed fine. Purchase offer would be written to require a complete frame and birdcage inspection.

Wrong wheels and rims.

The body has several cracks and the paint is about a 5 out 10 and will require a re-paint and new weather stripping.

The seller stated that the 65 had been driven up to the time the owner died, about one year ago.

Have Fun!

Ray

http://rayscorvette.com/photo.htm for additional pictures

DSC01029.JPG

Ray,

The value varies:

- value as a candidate for restoration to as original as possible
- value as a resto-rod
- value as a driver
- value to the seller
- value to you....the buyer

There are so many factors to be considered, therefore, throwing a number at it is a crap-shoot.

However, were I in the market, I'd pay (subject to actual on-site inspection) about $US25,000 and make a nice driver out of it.

Others will have different opinions. ;)

Hi! Haven

The 65 coupe is not a car that I would plan on keeping. I have a price in mind that I am going to offer. I just thought it would be fun to get others opinions.

Ray

67HEAVEN said:
However, were I in the market, I'd pay (subject to actual on-site inspection) about $US25,000 and make a nice driver out of it.

Bob, a driver out of it? We all know how NCRS correct you are...... you would "settle" for "just" a driver?
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Ray, sorry, 90% of the time I try to guessimate a value i'm way, way off so I'll back out of this one.

good luck on the bidding of a new project car though! :beer:

Hi Ray,

How is the SWC doing? Is it going to Carlisle?

I would agree with Heaven. For me $25,000 would be the max also. But on the other hand I don't see it going for too much less than that either. Just my 2 cents.

Gary

studiog said:
Hi Ray,

How is the SWC doing? Is it going to Carlisle?

I would agree with Heaven. For me $25,000 would be the max also. But on the other hand I don't see it going for too much less than that either. Just my 2 cents.

Gary

Hi! Gary

I have been working the bugs out of the 63 SWC. I have only driven the car about 175 miles. I was having troubles with noise from the clutch area and vibration from the rear of the car. I solved the vibration problem by rotating the drive shaft 180*. Hopefully I solved the clutch noise problem; I removed the transmission this weekend for the second time only to find the cover or the part that spins (upper race) came apart from the main bearing. The design of this through-out bearing was different that the one I removed. Both bearings are from LUK. I installed the old through-out bearing that was in very good condition and everything seems fine as of now. (knock on wood).

I am not sure if I am going to bring the 61 or the 63 to Carlisle. I hope to get a few miles on the 63 before I make my decision. Are you going to Carlisle? This will be the first year that I will not be spending days looking for parts, only have a few to find. I should have plenty of time to look up and spend time with other forum members.

Is there going to be a central location and time where people are going to meet, or are we just going to cruise to we find some one we know?

Ray

Yeah, 20-25k, US

61 Silver said:
Hi! Gary

Is there going to be a central location and time where people are going to meet, or are we just going to cruise to we find some one we know?

Ray

I thought we were all meeting at 67 Heaven's tent? I don't even know if he has a tent but I thought that sounded like a good plan. :L

I am Vetteless now but I am really hoping to make it to Carlisle.

The date may actually work for me this year.

Sounds like you are right on top of the SWC keeping the gremlins at bay.
I look forward to seeing you at Carlisle with whatever Vette you decide to bring.

Gary

Well, it is worth a bit more because of the color, but the possible motor issue lowers the value, to me at least.

I'd say around 20K tops.

Well I bid $17,500 for the 65 and told the seller that I would be willing to bid higher if I could get the car on a lift and remove all the windshield moldings to verify condition of the birdcage and the frame. I believe that rust is like mice, when you see one, you can bet there are more that you can not see. After dealing with rust problems on the 63 I promised my self that I would throughly inspect for rust prior to the purchasing of any Corvette. I believe that the seller will just take the highest bid and $ 17,500 will not buy this 65.

Ray

61 Silver said:
Well I bid $17,500 for the 65 and told the seller that I would be willing to bid higher if I could get the car on a lift and remove all the windshield moldings to verify condition of the birdcage and the frame. I believe that rust is like mice, when you see one, you can bet there are more that you can not see. After dealing with rust problems on the 63 I promised my self that I would throughly inspect for rust prior to the purchasing of any Corvette. I believe that the seller will just take the highest bid and $ 17,500 will not buy this 65.

Ray

Good Luck Ray. You never know. Your's is a realistic bid, others may be dreaming of "stealing" the car for much less. Keep us posted. When are the bids opened?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom