Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1966 knock offs

vintagecorvette said:
Greetings,

Without removing the wheels, is there any way to tell if the knock offs are original or old reproduction? Thanks oWEN

You can remove the hubcap on the spinner and check to see if the "hub or wheel" has holes for saftey pins.The original ones did not have provisions for saftey pins.

Larry,

For the first ten years or so, the repo's didn't have the pin either, you really have to take them off to verify it.

Tom M

somebody correct me if i'm wrong here but since the original KO's were all Kelsey Hays wheels, I believe there is a casting mark on the backside with a K H logo and a number underneath the letters. You should be able to feel for it with your hand and if possible use a piece of paper and a pencil to get a tracing of it. If it says

KH
xxxxx

(the x's being numbers) than it should be an original KH KO wheel. Unless i'm completely wrong of course lol

I had a set on my 1964 that never had the pin, they were pretty old reproduction. I know how to tell once they are off, but is there any tell tail signs when they are on the car, such as thickness of the fins, the lip, the valve stem anything. Thanks oWEN

Here's what you'll find cast into the back side of an original Kelsey-Hayes factory KO wheel:

OrigKOnumbers650.jpg

:beer

JohnZ said:
Here's what you'll find cast into the back side of an original Kelsey-Hayes factory KO wheel:
:beer

John, that was the exact picture I had in my mind when I responded. i must have seen it in one of your recent posts somewhere but I didn't recall who posted it or where.

John. You Beat Me To It

Here are some outside and inside pics. Notice how the ribs are not so square......more tapered on the 'real' KH wheels.

64's had a date stap in purple ink like a 'meat' stamp by USDA.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom