Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1967 Corvette Sting Ray BB and piston slap

2010corvette

Corvette
2006 Hatchback Coupe Victory Red
Hi,

Have another question on Corvette Sting Ray.

Is piston slap common problem with BB Corvette's?

I'm the original owner of 1967 Corvette Sting Ray 67 style (VIN 194677S100560)

When I picked this Corvette up back on September 29, 1966 this RPOL36 engine had piston slap.

Was this common complaint back in the day?

:thanks:

Hi,

Have another question on Corvette Sting Ray.

Is piston slap common problem with BB Corvette's?

I'm the original owner of 1967 Corvette Sting Ray 67 style (VIN 194677S100560)

When I picked this Corvette up back on September 29, 1966 this RPOL36 engine had piston slap.

Was this common complaint back in the day?

:thanks:

Not on the L-36 (or L-68 3x2) - they had cast pistons, which were fitted with conventional close .0009"-.0015" clearances; it might have been an issue on some L-71's which had much looser-fitting forged pistons fitted at .004"-.0046", but I've never seen any TSB's or complaints on it.

What did your dealer do to resolve the piston slap issue on your car?

:beer

Hi JohnZ,

Thank You for answering my many questions on the Chevrolet Corvette.
The original RPOL36 Turbo Jet 427CI 390HP was blown. The dealer (Curhan Chevrolet - Randolf Massachusetts) replaced the engine with short block in the fall of 1967. Unfortunately the Corvette is now non-matching for the engine assembly.
Originally I should of refused the new Corvette.
I was twenty years old and the dealer told me to put top oil in the engine to fix the piston slap. I only realized the piston slap noise when the engine was cold.
When ordering this Corvette back in July 1966 wanted to build the Corvette for more performance but my father would not let me. I was lucky to get RPON11 out of the dealer. The dealer told me I couldn't get an inspection sticker with off road assembly exhaust system in Massachusetts.
The other options wanted were RPOL71, M22, and 4:11.1 with G81.
Found out later that M22 was not available unless the option was RPOL88.
The worse problems on the Corvette was the piston slap, water entering the transister ignition electronics that was mounted rearward of the right side headlamp, severe windshield water leak, early paint cracking/checking on the top of left fender due to the body twisting under high stress and a whistle some where in the holly carburetor.
One day in 1966 we had severe rain storm in Massachusetts. Both foot wells filled with water to the sill plates.
To drain the foot wells had to pull the plastic plugs in the plastic reinforced floor ( one on each side)
Eventually items were repaired.
RPOL36, M21 and 3:36.1 with G81 was not the way to go. Should have put the top production code "AO" 3:70.1 (Special Performance) with the L36 engine. 4:11.1 was not available with L36.
The N11 option made the Corvette sound great, and second gear was super powerful.
Although I thought the Corvette was fast, ran a 427 Chevrolet Massachusetts State Police Cruiser back in the day. I did win the race but not by much.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom